Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIY Deviated Stitching on Steering Wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FRUNKenstein
The old aftermarket steering wheel that came with my car when I bought it last summer was not dished at all. So, every time I made a significant turn, my fingers would hit the turn signals or wiper switch. Also, it was getting a bit long in the tooth and had some minor surface rust. For Christmas, my son got me a new Viilante steering wheel. It has a 39 mm dish, so hopefully that will solve the problem with hitting the turn signals and wipers during a turn. It is also a little more of a classic design (I didn't like the more modern style of the old one), and has perforated leather. But, I wanted to add a bit of bling. On 996outpost.com, there was a discussion of adding deviated stitching to your interior, and a link to a 6-speed online thread with details. Here's a link to the 6-speed online thread (hopefully this isn't breaking any rules to post that link):

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne...-red-beige.html

So, I thought I'd try it with my new steering wheel. It's really inexpensive: $4 set of upholstery needles and ~$4 for a spool of bead cord (think thick thread). Full disclosure, I ordered 3 different colors of bead cord because I wasn't sure exactly how they would look, so I actually spent about $14 on bead cord, including shipping. Also, I wanted to add a color-matched center stripe at the top of the wheel. After research, it appears that the actual racers use "stage tape" or "gaffer's tape" for this task. That stuff comes in tons of colors, and I ordered a 1" wide fluorescent blue roll of tape for $7.99 (including shipping). There is a link in the 6-speed online thread about where to buy the bead cord (your local JoAnn's Fabrics and the like don't carry it). I just ordered the gaffer's tape off Amazon. I haven't installed the steering wheel yet (this weekend's project), but here are some pictures of before, during and after the DIY stitching install.

First, a picture of the car so that you can see the exterior color I was trying to match (Laguna Blue):

Click to view attachment

Then, here's the steering wheel fresh out of the box, along with the bead cord and gaffer's tape.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next pic shows one section of deviated stitching installed next to a section without it. I should have turned off the LED light I was using as it kind of makes everything blue. My eyes aren't too bad, but you definitely need a bright light to see the stitching you are going to run your needle under. One note in the 6-speed online thread mentioned grinding down the tip of the curved upholstery needle to keep from poking through or snagging the leather (you are just going under the existing threads, not through the leather). But, I found that it really wasn't a problem with the sharp tip, plus I think it would have been tough to get the needle under the threads on the steering wheel with a dull tip. Maybe grinding the tip down works better on seats or consoles.

Click to view attachment

This next pic shows the deviated stitching installed without the center stripe.

Click to view attachment

Then, this one adds the center stripe in 1" width.

Click to view attachment

I felt the 1" width was too wide, so I cut the width down to 1/2".

Click to view attachment

Frankly, I may just remove the center stripe. It's easy enough to do - takes about 2 seconds. And, if I want it again later (like for an autocross), then I can just reinstall. I have enough tape to do that about 100 times!
dt4
the stitching looks very good, well done
the tape doesnt look great though, in my opinion but its yours to do what you like so 10/10 for giving it a go
FRUNKenstein
QUOTE(dt4 @ Jan 8 2021, 12:25 PM) *

the stitching looks very good, well done
the tape doesnt look great though, in my opinion but its yours to do what you like so 10/10 for giving it a go

I'm with you on the tape. I will probably just remove it.
Cairo94507
Great job on the wheel. Not a fan of the little strip of blue on the top center. Regardless, nice job. beerchug.gif
raynekat
Yes, the wheel looks great with your stitching.
I could maybe live with the smaller tape (1/2") at the top.
PlaysWithCars
Love the stitching! That looks great. Adds some pop and ties it in with the car; great idea.

The center stripe w/ tape is definitely a "race" look, but I can't get past that particular blue looking like the low tack painters tape that wouldn't be at all durable in this application. Maybe its just the pictures that make it look that way. I envision tape with a high gloss, like a colored electrical tape maybe?
VaccaRabite
Yeah, the painters tape looks like its just unfinished and you are going to do something else to it.

Zach
BillJ
Like the deviated stitching look you did there! Well done for sure. The collective has spoken on the tape and you will not be permitted to use it LOL
PanelBilly
I like it a lot. Is there any other spots in the interior where you can add the stitching to bring in the color?
double-a
this is lovely, nice work!
FRUNKenstein
Thanks for all of the feedback. Point taken on the tape! I may play around with the colored electrical tape idea, but probably will just leave it off except for an autocross day.

As for other spots in the interior, I'm currently having the seats done with the blue plaid seat covers from 914rubber.com, so I think the seats have enough color. I'll have to look around the console and door cards to see. I don't think there's a spot for it on the dash anywhere.

I was installing the steering wheel over the weekend and realized the old wheel and adapter were the 6x74 mm pattern, and this new wheel is the 6x70 mm (like Momo). It should be out of the trim shop later this week. I'll post some pics when I get it back and have the new wheel and seats in place.

On a somewhat related note, I picked up my X1/9 from the same trim shop today when I dropped the 914 off. I had them re-cover the X1/9's seats, and added some bling to them with an embroidered logo and deviated stitching. Before & after pics below. I did a color change on the car from the matte black done by the previous owner to a mid-70s Fiat factory color, Verde Chiaro last summer. I had tried to dye the old seat inserts to a dark gray, but it didn't come out well on the seats. The door cards came out fine, but not the seats, which is why I had them redone. For the record, it is WAY cheaper to buy a set of pre-fabricated seats covers (like the plaid ones from 914world.com that they are installing now) and have them professionally installed compared to custom fabricated.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.