Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve adjustment 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mcraneiowa
Hey guys, I know this had been hashed over before but want to make clear in my mind a couple things. I previously adjusted the valves base solely on position of distributor rotor. Now weeks later double checking and they don’t seem close enough for my liking, to much play in some cases, not enough in others. So since I have the tranny removed from engine I have a better opportunity to be more precise. So to better understand.

1.8 liter intake .006 exhaust .008. 1974

- When I have the flywheel at TDC based on the mark and confirming it with the position of the distributor rotor pointing towards front center of engine I can adjust #1 cylinder also the tick mark which is about 7degrees off from TDC on the cooling fan mark.
- As I rotate flywheel counterclockwise 180 degrees that should line me up with #2. In essence 180 degrees flywheel = 90 degrees distributor. Position is when I rotate the flywheel counterclockwise the dist should turn clockwise, correct. In other words #2 rotor position is pointing towards the oil cooler.
So at long as I have flywheel marked, every 180 rotation places me in order for adjusting cylinders In order of 1432.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mcraneiowa
Thanks much for the information. The Pelican article answered my questions completely. Really appreciate the response.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 9 2021, 02:51 PM) *

agree.gif

The valve clearance for a 1.8 is a typo in the Haynes manual.

Robarabian
Never just rely on distributor. Always look at valves to determine where you are on the stroke.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.