Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Crack Free Dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
barnfind9141972
Would love to source a crack free dash for my 72, if anyone has anything feel free to PM or send me any info on one. Not sure I trust the overlay, not sure I want to spend on the 914 Rubber replacement. Thanks
Tom_T
QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Jan 18 2021, 01:54 AM) *

Would love to source a crack free dash for my 72, if anyone has anything feel free to PM or send me any info on one. Not sure I trust the overlay, not sure I want to spend on the 914 Rubber replacement. Thanks

IIRC Stoddard's & AA also sell new repro dashtops as well.

There are shops that will recover your dash, but that too is pricey.

And NOS or a nice uncracked dashtop is going to be almost as much as those above, from what I'm seeing.

And an only slightly cracking "Good Condition" older used dashtop may be less, but is only a dash waiting to finish cracking.

A Coverlay or similar dash cover is the only "budget" option, but those are still north of $100.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Jett
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 18 2021, 10:02 AM) *

And NOS or a nice uncracked dashtop is going to be almost as much as those above, from what I'm seeing.

And an only slightly cracking "Good Condition" older used dashtop may be less, but is only a dash waiting to finish cracking.

A Coverlay or similar dash cover is the only "budget" option, but those are still north of $100.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

The last NOS dash pad sold for$1500 on eBay. I bought a 914 rubber dash and it looks great. For the amount of labor, it was worth the extra smile.gif
gvlb914
I too bought a 914rubber dash replacement ..... and it really does look great. Worth every penny, even with the additional shipping costs to Canada. (And the USD exchange rate!!)
Fits perfect and like I said, it looks great.

Gary gvlb914
barnfind9141972
QUOTE(Jett @ Jan 18 2021, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 18 2021, 10:02 AM) *

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

The last NOS dash pad sold for$1500 on eBay. I bought a 914 rubber dash and it looks great. For the amount of labor, it was worth the extra smile.gif

@tom_t thanks, might have to go with the budget option but we shall see. Cheers! beerchug.gif
@jett that’s definitely a pretty penny haha
mepstein
Crack free dash from a ‘73
$495 + ship
fiacra
QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Jan 18 2021, 12:54 AM) *

At one point I saw that 914Rubber had some "seconds" that were less expensive. Might be worth you giving them a call to see if any are still available. I'd be wary of buying a used dash. I'm sure I started to develop some hidden cracks when I hit my forties and I would assume the used dashes have as well. Even the dash that 914Rubber used to create the mold for their reproduction had some flaws in it, and you can see those reflected in their product. If you just want a nice clean dash then probably a "second" from 914Rubber would fit your need and your budget and last longer than a used dash. Otherwise you'll probably have to bite the bullet and spend the money for their reproduction. I also have a dash cap in one of my cars and as far as I'm concerned it looks fine for a driver quality car.
mepstein
Even the 914rubber dashes aren’t cheap. $595?

Correction $650.
barnfind9141972
QUOTE(fiacra @ Jan 18 2021, 01:17 PM) *

At one point I saw that 914Rubber had some "seconds" that were less expensive. Might be worth you giving them a call to see if any are still available. I'd be wary of buying a used dash. I'm sure I started to develop some hidden cracks when I hit my forties and I would assume the used dashes have as well. Even the dash that 914Rubber used to create the mold for their reproduction had some flaws in it, and you can see those reflected in their product. If you just want a nice clean dash then probably a "second" from 914Rubber would fit your need and your budget and last longer than a used dash. Otherwise you'll probably have to bite the bullet and spend the money for their reproduction. I also have a dash cap in one of my cars and as far as I'm concerned it looks fine for a driver quality car.

@fiacra that might be the route I take, what top did you go with? I’m thinking just something decent enough for a driver not concourse.
barnfind9141972
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 18 2021, 01:35 PM) *

@mepstein yeah even 914Rubber is expensive, wish I could’ve gotten the first run for half the price. Yours is a little rich for my blood too, especially with shipping to SoCal but yours is without a doubt really nice.
mepstein
QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Jan 18 2021, 04:44 PM) *

@mepstein yeah even 914Rubber is expensive, wish I could’ve gotten the first run for half the price. Yours is a little rich for my blood too, especially with shipping to SoCal but yours is without a doubt really nice.

I have a cover. It’s the cheaper one. I think it’s still new in the bag. If I can find it, you can have it for the cost of shipping.

@barnfind9141972
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 18 2021, 01:07 PM) *

Crack free dash from a ‘73
$495 + ship

Mark & Mike -

I think that the dash is the same 72-76 with the late added dash side vents starting with the 72 MY - but the texture may vary some on the vinyl from MY to MY & within MYs from the original OEM supplier(s).

Shipping could be an issue, and I recco using a wood crate type box to prevent the shipper bending it & it cracking, as well as full insurance coverage upcharge. That will add to the overall cost.

Not sure how close that gets to the overall cost with S&H for the new ones these days.

Also note that the new repro dashes & recovered ones have slightly different vinyl textures, as are all of the new repro sun visors - but they're reasonably close and CW passable.

Pick-up is preferable, but then it's on you! shades.gif

I paid about the same for the perfect uncracked 74 OEM dash from the 74 ex-racer body shell I got locally a few years ago from some former members on here.

So Mark's price is good if condition is too.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Wayne
I have a really nice original one came out of a 74. I'm in Fullerton about 100 miles away if you're interested let me know.

PM sent

Wayne
barnfind9141972
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 18 2021, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Jan 18 2021, 04:44 PM) *

I have a cover. It’s the cheaper one. I think it’s still new in the bag. If I can find it, you can have it for the cost of shipping.

@barnfind9141972

@mepstein thank you so much!
fiacra
QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Jan 18 2021, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(fiacra @ Jan 18 2021, 01:17 PM) *

@fiacra that might be the route I take, what top did you go with? I’m thinking just something decent enough for a driver not concourse.

It came already on the car, so I can't shed any insight on who made it. However, it looks just fine. As always @mepstein is showing his generosity and I'd take him up on his offer. If all you want is to stop staring at those damn cracks I think you'll be happy with the cap. I bought the 914Rubber dash a while back, but I'm not in the position to have that kind of budget at the moment so I'd probably be going with a cap if I had the need.
Mikey914
The problem with the OEM dashes is that if they are in the sun they get hot, the substructure is a different material. As the expand and contract the vinyl that was formed over the substructure will eventually form cracks at stress points. Ever wonder what they all crack in the same places?

We do make our new ones differently. We use a self skinning high pressure molding tool to mold ours. All one material, so they will not crack. If you can get a used uncracked dash I'd snag it. I spent 3 years and a large chunk of cash ($2500) to get a NOS in the box dash to mold. Thanks Ken so texture is dead on. Even have a small "pimple" on the top of the dash that was molded off it (barely noticeable, but a true reproduction).

The materials and went up in cost significantly since we started making these. As you know on the Group Buys I do I'm just paying for the tool, so those prices are not sustainable. It does make for a screaming deal for those that step up.

In a side note the roll bar pads will be going on Group Buy soon too so keep an eye in the garage beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.