Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sideshifter shifter rotators left/right around 45 degress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning - film at 11 but trying to sort out a new to me 914 with a sideshifter and haven't come across this issue yet.

The car actually shifts great (gearbox and syncros etc) but the shift rod will rotate around 45-degrees from side to side in my hand. Imaging looking straight down on top of the shifter and then pivoting the ball/rod 45-degrees from side to side.

I've tried to illustrate that with the red curve I added to this schematic below.

That seems to suggest that either #9 or #11 are very worn and ovaled out maybe? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or experiences.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Yes it's at the base where it attaches to the "ball". You can remove, clean it up, scuff it, and epoxy back in.
Tdskip
Thank you
914werke
Weld it
Tdskip
QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 28 2021, 01:24 PM) *

Weld it

OK - now I think I get it, the shaft near #9 is what is rotating so a bead of weld there will fix it. Yes?
914werke
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 28 2021, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 28 2021, 01:24 PM) *

Weld it

OK - now I think I get it, the shaft near #9 is what is rotating so a bead of weld there will fix it. Yes?

Yes... but make sure you take it completely apart because there is a plastic bushing in the shifter base you will melt when trying to weld it.

Clay
Montreal914
Also, I had one that had been repaired with a big weld and was coming into contact with #1 when shifting the arm from side to side limiting its movement.
Tdskip
Thank you for all of the considerations – I was able to fix this this morning and nobody say that it shifts really-really well now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.