Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: defend the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Joe Bob
defend the 914

The little winky guys are at it again.
CptTripps
Interesting thread...I thought of starting one here a while ago just to see if others are getting the same reactions from other p-cars as I am.
Joe Ricard
Done, you gotta read it. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Sexist, elitist, pigs, who have to have their endless lists of cars they own (or have owned) after every post to qualify their percieved manhood. Every time I follow a link to their pages I get pis*ed off! BTW, Marks GF Marcie took overall in street class with her 82 SC at the CCCR Zone 8 concours yesterday, and she owns the car (her daily driver) as well as does all the cleaning and polishing. Another woman with a 993 did as well as Marcie in her class, too. Another of my customers with a 928 had his preteen daughters help him prep the car, and he won, too. Way to go, girls! The Cap'n
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jul 18 2005, 10:03 AM)
Done, you gotta read it. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif pray.gif

I put my nickel in...

they can keep their shirt
MoveQik
I actually had a guy in a pre-impact bumper 911 make it a point to get next to me on the freeway the other day just to give me a thumbs up. I thought that was pretty cool. I think there is a mutual respect among car owners when it comes to older cars. If you own one you know what it takes to keep it on the road and that deserves a certain amount of credit.

I personally give a thumbs up to any car on the road that the owner has put a lot of time and money into. It doesn't matter to me if it is a Porsche, ricer, hot rod, new, old....the passion is the same, just different tastes. driving.gif
Joe Bob
Congrats to Marcie....
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jul 18 2005, 07:11 AM)

I personally give a thumbs up to any car on the road that the owner has put a lot of time and money into.  It doesn't matter to me if it is a Porsche, ricer, hot rod, new, old....the passion is the same, just different tastes. driving.gif

Me too.

I had a guy in a 996 TT pull in behind me at a gas station in the next town over. He got out and was looking all over my car. He is new to Porsche's (a DR making way to much $$$) we talk for a few minutes then he had to go. A month or so later I was out to dinner with a the wife & kid, when I asked for our bill the waiter said it has been taken care of. huh.gif Yep, the DR was there and paid for it. We went over to thank him and his wife said "so you are the guy with 914, my husband couldn't stop talking about it".

We sat with them for the next hour or so and had a few drinks, him & I talked cars, the wives talked wife stuff and his kids & my boy played nicely at the table. It was really cool. The wives have made play dates for the kids, we have plans for dinner in the next week with the DR & wife. We have met some great people because of this slliy little NARP. beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
Thanks Z I'm gong to have fun with this one. poke.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 18 2005, 07:09 AM)
Sexist, elitist, pigs, who have to have their endless lists of cars they own (or have owned) after every post to qualify their percieved manhood. Every time I follow a link to their pages I get pis*ed off!

How is this for my signature:

Michael Wills
1975 1.8 914
2005 Bentley Continental GT($156k daily driver)
2005 Ford GT($157k penis extender)
2005 Porsche Carrerra GT($450k grocery getter)
2004 Cadillac Escalade($65k soccer transport)
2005 Dodge Viper($90k reminder that I am REALLY cool)

Think its over the top? Too pretentious?
scottb
i have had two older 911's pull up next to me on the way home in the past 2 weeks and give me a thumbs up on my car. it is really cool when people who appreciate cars give the owners recognition regardless of make or model.

hell, i gave a guy in an elise a thumbs up the other day when i was driving the wifes minivan. he probably thought i was a dork..... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
meares
SIX pages....damn, that hit a nerve!! i thought a light flick was the thing to do!?....however the cars with litronic lamps can't do that......anyway, good topic.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (scottb @ Jul 18 2005, 07:35 AM)

hell, i gave a guy in an elise a thumbs up the other day when i was driving the wifes minivan. he probably thought i was a dork..... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Well, Have looked in the mirror lately. lol2.gif
If the teener fits wear it. Mine fits just fine. beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
I give thumbs to 911 guys all the time, from my sebring... they look at me weird... I need to put 914 stickers on it, maybe they'll snap to why...
zymurgist
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jul 18 2005, 07:11 AM)
I personally give a thumbs up to any car on the road that the owner has put a lot of time and money into. It doesn't matter to me if it is a Porsche, ricer, hot rod, new, old....the passion is the same, just different tastes. driving.gif

agree.gif

After rebuilding a Corvette almost from the ground up, and learning more about early 911's and 914's every week, I can appreciate the sweat, skinned knuckles, and creative use of colorful language that goes into making these old cars show their stuff. When I'm in the Vette or the 911, I wave at all old sports cars.

Come to think of it, I seem to remember seeing a Jeep pecking order similar to that Porsche pecking order. Don't know if the Jeep folks were tongue in cheek, but some of the guys on that other P-car thread seem to believe their own propaganda.
Type 4 Unleashed
porschenut

I disagree STRONGLY with several things you said. First, a 914 gets a nod, but a 928 or 944 only gets eye contact? The 914 is the ugliest, most useless piece of crap Porsche (or should I say VW) ever put out. Even the 6-cyl version has no reason for existence. Secondly, the 928 is the most luxurious, most advanced, best performing (yes, it is), fastest, street car Porsche ever produced. It was Porsche's top of the line model all 18 years of production. But it only gets eye contact?? Dude, the 928 gets a salute AND a bow, even if you're not a fan of it. And the 944, even though it's not a favorite of mine, outsold every other model EVERY single year it was produced. That in itself doesn't make it a great car, but it deserves more than just eye contact. At least a nod.

The comment about the 914, I always thought that, everyone was intitled to there opinion, untill now, them fighting words smash.gif
TravisNeff
what a bunch of buttheads, that is 3rd grade mentality. If you are an enthusiast you deserve some respect from another enthusiast. I asked for a shirt, so I could wipe my ass with it.
flesburg
In KCMO most Porsches are bought new by Doctors who want something more exclusive that BMWs and do not have a clue whether it is cooled by water or air or natural gas. And most of them would not recognize another Porsche if one hits them.

The "nicest" guys and gals in the PCA, and that seems to include everyone in the 914club, are "used car" guys and gals who do their own work and all have dirty fingernails every monday. We used to call ourselves the "wrencher group" (as opposed to the guys who brought their own mechanics to track events).

Back when my 914 was a daily driver I put in a relay so I could flash my driving lights at 911s because seeing another 914 on the road was as rare as seeing a UFO land in broad daylight. Most of the time, if I wanted to see one at 40/40 I had to have someone else drive my car and follow it in something else.

Do any of the cars other than air cooled 911s have headlight flashers? The practice never caught on with 914, or 924 or 944 or 928 drivers, because the headlight mechanisms were too slow.

Good luck to all of us, and quit worrying about the Doctors that cannot even pronounce Por'cha.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (flesburg @ Jul 18 2005, 12:08 PM)

Back when my 914 was a daily driver I put in a relay so I could flash my driving lights at 911s because seeing another 914 on the road was as rare as seeing a UFO land in broad daylight. Most of the time, if I wanted to see one at 40/40 I had to have someone else drive my car and follow it in something else.

Do any of the cars other than air cooled 911s have headlight flashers? The practice never caught on with 914, or 924 or 944 or 928 drivers, because the headlight mechanisms were too slow.

there's a kit for the 914 for that now... James Adams makes it...

other cars do have it... my wife's honda and my chrysler both have it...
TravisNeff
THREADKILLERS! heh, looks like we got that one locked down.
lapuwali
Shortly after I got my 2nd 914, I drove it home from work over Skyline, and I got the headlight flash from a 964. I was so stunned I nearly ran off the road...

olav
My wife and I were driving to Big Sur yesterday and a 356 "beeped" at us and waved.

That was surprising because I thougth those owners were elitist. I guess all old Porsches now deserves to be recognized.

Every year I go to the Concorso Italiano in Monterey with the car and park it in the corral. The car seems to get a lot of attention, much to my suprise. I get a lot of stories about how people had a 914 in college and how these cars handle etc. Pretty fun shooting the shit with enthusiasts.
Part Pricer

Think that they would go for this on a t-shirt?

redshift
LMAO!
Dave_Darling
It's interesting that, if you read that thread, 914 owners come off as being the most defensive and having the least sense of humor. Which seems almost completely opposite to most 914 folks I know. Hell, Z, your sense of humor is about 30 times less polite even without trying!

Kiddies, does it really matter what some closed-minded 911 (and obviously 928) owner thinks? Really, does it?

--DD
redshift
rolleyes.gif

They started it!

biggrin.gif

M
Part Pricer

Dave,

I'm offended by the humorless, eliteist pricks that have posted in that thread. The first post may have been an attempt at humor, but those jerkoffs that chimed in saying "How true" give all Porsche owners a bad name.

We may come off as defensive, but those guys are asshats.

MattR
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 18 2005, 10:32 AM)
rolleyes.gif

They started it!

biggrin.gif

M

chairfall.gif
TravisNeff
Well, we all know we have a sense of humor around here. But, I was offended that there is some sort of cheezy heirarchy to owning a freaking car. Even if the 914 was portrayed as "OK" it still bugs me.

I still thought my TP comment was funny enough for me, haha.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jul 18 2005, 10:28 AM)
It's interesting that, if you read that thread, 914 owners come off as being the most defensive and having the least sense of humor. Which seems almost completely opposite to most 914 folks I know. Hell, Z, your sense of humor is about 30 times less polite even without trying!

Kiddies, does it really matter what some closed-minded 911 (and obviously 928) owner thinks? Really, does it?

--DD

Hell, I don't care WHAT they think...I was just looking to stir up trouble.... cool_shades.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jul 18 2005, 07:34 AM)

Michael Wills
1975 1.8 914

Think its over the top? Too pretentious?

That oughtta make your winkie so short it sticks out the back ...........! The Cap'n
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jul 18 2005, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jul 18 2005, 10:28 AM)
It's interesting that, if you read that thread, 914 owners come off as being the most defensive and having the least sense of humor.  Which seems almost completely opposite to most 914 folks I know.  Hell, Z, your sense of humor is about 30 times less polite even without trying!

Kiddies, does it really matter what some closed-minded 911 (and obviously 928) owner thinks?  Really, does it?

--DD

Hell, I don't care WHAT they think...I was just looking to stir up trouble.... cool_shades.gif

Yup me too. I'm always ready to jump in a shit storm armed with a leaf blower trying to make it fly faster.

Perfect oportunity Mike's the man. smilie_pokal.gif Hey better yet Mike for President Of what I don't know.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (V6914 @ Jul 18 2005, 07:52 AM)
porschenut

I disagree STRONGLY with several things you said. First, a 914 gets a nod, but a 928 or 944 only gets eye contact? The 914 is the ugliest, most useless piece of crap Porsche (or should I say VW) ever put out. Even the 6-cyl version has no reason for existence. Secondly, the 928 is the most luxurious, most advanced, best performing (yes, it is), fastest, street car Porsche ever produced. It was Porsche's top of the line model all 18 years of production. But it only gets eye contact?? Dude, the 928 gets a salute AND a bow, even if you're not a fan of it. And the 944, even though it's not a favorite of mine, outsold every other model EVERY single year it was produced. That in itself doesn't make it a great car, but it deserves more than just eye contact. At least a nod.

The comment about the 914, I always thought that, everyone was intitled to there opinion, untill now, them fighting words smash.gif

REAL Porsches have carburetors ........................................ And real Carreras have 4 cams, for that matter. The Cap'n
redshift
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Jul 18 2005, 02:33 PM)

Uhh... The IBoAH says that if the term "asshat" is used, there muct be a vote within 10 days, to elect an Supreme Asshat.

smile.gif

M
Toast
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Jul 18 2005, 08:28 AM)
I had a guy in a 996 TT pull in behind me at a gas station in the next town over. He got out and was looking all over my car. He is new to Porsche's (a DR making way to much $$$) we talk for a few minutes then he had to go. A month or so later I was out to dinner with a the wife & kid, when I asked for our bill the waiter said it has been taken care of.  :huh:  Yep, the DR was there and paid for it. We went over to thank him and his wife said "so you are the guy with 914, my husband couldn't stop talking about it".

We sat with them for the next hour or so and had a few drinks, him & I talked cars, the wives talked wife stuff and his kids & my boy played nicely at the table. It was really cool. The wives have made play dates for the kids, we have plans for dinner in the next week with the DR & wife. We have met some great people because of this slliy little NARP.  :beer2:

mueba.gif
That is totaly cool!
Do you think maybe your licence plate may have given it away. laugh.gif

Michael Wills
1975 1.8 914

So true, so true.
laugh.gif lol2.gif
Go for it. happy11.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 18 2005, 10:56 AM)
REAL Porsches have carburetors

Unless they have Mechanical Fuel Injection! smile.gif

We don't need no stinking computers...
markb
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jul 18 2005, 07:27 AM)
Congrats to Marcie....

On Marcie's behalf, thank you. She took 1st in her unrestored division, and a best of show in that division also. She worked her butt off fo 6 weeks getting ready for this. She's taking it to GAF in september, and I'll bet it doesn't get much road time between now and then. Out of the .7 points against her, .5 of them were in the engine compartment. She didn't realize how much crap gets blown around just driving it the 20 miles to the show. Now she knows, most of the cleaning at the show itself will be in the engine compartment. You have no idea how proud of her I am, and so glad it's not me doing all that cleaning. I'm happy just to keep mine running. Of course, the Blue car goes in for paint today, and we'll see how I feel when I get it back. biggrin.gif
Howard
Posted it there and posting it here...

What a bunch of snobs biggrin.gif
Mulholland Rule: Wave at everybody having fun in the twisties with thumbs up or down depending on Highway Patrol/Rider down/Rocks or water in road/Yada.
Street Rule: Wave at friends and family.

www.thehowardagency.com

tdgray
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 18 2005, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Jul 18 2005, 02:33 PM)

Uhh... The IBoAH says that if the term "asshat" is used, there muct be a vote within 10 days, to elect an Supreme Asshat.

smile.gif

M

Ooh..Ooh...Ooh..... I nominate Z supreme leader of the Asshat's

Hell he's got the gun already biggrin.gif
redshift
Whether or not we vote Mike in as SAH, he's still the best man for the job...

M
MattR
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 18 2005, 12:06 PM)
Whether or not we vote Mike in as SAH, he's still the best man for the job...

M

Dont blame me, I voted for Mike.
redshift
lol
cooltimes
Do any of you really care what the 911, etc people think about your 914?
I don't. Probably only want to tic a few teeners off when 911 crowd gang bang at their SIG.
Some always believe their crap and maybe convince the weaker minded who can't cut the 914 mustard to get rid of their 914 so they, the 911 group, can then afford to have one.

914. Beep, beep.

Mike Cooley
Memphis
redshift
It's about shame.. smile.gif

It's a drag PP isn't a guitar BBS, I could shame them all!

laugh.gif

M
JetA
Hello from a Pelican.

Guys, I and every other 911 owner I have met have a lot of respect for 914's. Certainly there are those out there that feel differently but they are the minority among the 911 owners. Hell, I just recently got a chance to just sit in a friend's 914 and loved it.

With that said, don't you think you guys are being just a tad sensitive about this. I mean, come on now, THREE pages of posts responding to some dude who didn't give you guys enough due. Please. And don't you think you're doing exactly the same thing by calling 911 owners elitists?! Those of you who've said that need to look in the mirror.

Chill out guys. Most 911 owners love 914's, including me.
Joe Bob
"I" started the thread...."I" have a sense of humor....."I" also own three different Porsche models.....

"I" don't think we were outta line. We joke about the 914's underdog status but don't take it serious....we also joke about the little winky thing too...

Get over it, drive yer car and have fun....don't forget to wave at us when we pass ya in the corners.... bootyshake.gif
MattR
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 18 2005, 04:20 PM)
It's about shame.. smile.gif

It's a drag PP isn't a guitar BBS, I could shame them all!

laugh.gif

M

I guess your cousin Jimi taught you a thing or two?
redshift
unsure.gif

No?

M
Porcharu
barf.gif
You have got to be kidding. I can't believe adults act like this - two pages of this crap and barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif
It's a car - it's only what YOU make it.
barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif
redshift
It's fun... and it's all IN fun, from this end. chair.gif

Jeees... slap.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.