Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard to get 1st gear on side shift conversion chassis
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PlaysWithCars
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. This has been a multi-year saga and now I've kind of been all the way around the barn and only made small improvements but I think I've narrowed it down to the final culprit.

Backstory:
1970 914-6 chassis that has a side shift transmission in it that has always been tough to get into first gear. It feels like it just barely gets into gear but once there its never popped out.

When the car was new to me, I didn't have history on the transmission and assumed it was just worn or the shift bushings were worn so I put it on the to-do list to rebuild it someday. In the meantime I invested in a Rennshift shifter and installed it with new bushings at the shift console on the transmission (all other bushings seemed fairly tight). Improved shifting overall, but no real change to the issue with 1st gear.

Fast forward and I bought another transmission to rebuild with the help of the Doc's DVD. Tore down the transmission, rebuilt with a mix of new and used parts expecting the problem would be solved. To my disappointment, no real change in the behavior when I put the rebuilt transmission in. Mind you though, I'm thrilled with other aspects of the rebuild: new gearing (A, F, Ka, S, ZA is a nice combo for autocross / street use), Guard limited slip helped keep the car connected at corner exit. Now this is where I began scratching my head. This is a completely different transmission with no shared parts from the old unit. How can I have the same problem? Clearly its something on the chassis not in the transmission.

So, I started looking real close at all of the bushings in the linkage. As I said each was pretty tight but each had some small amount of play so I started replacing each one with small, incremental improvements made each time. And each time I went through the process of adjusting the shift linkage but still wasn't getting first to work much better. All the other gears? No problem. But first was not cooperative.

Getting ready for the autocross season this year, I decided to try and tackle it again. I'm tired of pulling up to the start line and fighting to get into first. And last season my 16 yr old son started racing it with me. It was heartbreaking to see how it added so much anxiety in him trying to get into first gear so as not to delay the start of his run. So, I went through it all again. Checked bushings, adjusted the shifter and still could not get it better until I decided to adjust the shifter focusing only on the R-1 shifter plane. When I did that? First was like butter, but I couldn't get into the 4-5 shift plane at all. After some more head scratching and investigation I snaked a bore scope down into the tunnel and found what I think has been my problem all along. When moving the shifter left / right into the R-1 and 4-5 shift planes the shift rod is hard up against the support that would have held the bushing for the original side shift linkage (item #14 below). I haven't read of anyone having this issue when a car's been converted to a side shift. Is this a know issue? Is there a common cause / solution to gain clearance in this area?

Click to view attachment

For now, I readjusted the linkage so that I minimize the interference in the R-1 and 4-5 planes but it is negatively impacting shifting in all but 2-3 gears until I can figure out a solution.
raynekat
I just happen to be addressing this right now in my 71 chassis with a side shifter.
Loud scraping noise in the R-1st shift plane.
Perhaps the same thing could be affecting you; and also in your 4th-5th shift place?
Follow along if you think it applies.....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=351402
PlaysWithCars
YES! 100%, that's what I'm experiencing. Of course I searched a week ago and didn't find anything and finally got around to posting today AFTER you started your thread. chair.gif

Shutting this down and will follow on your thread. Thanks for the heads up.
914werke
Im confused.
Your early car has been converted to a side shifter ?
Yet the shifter & shift rod pictured above are the early tail shift components.
Are you suggesting that your car is still using the early shifter & front shift rod in your conversion?
I ask as those are typically REPLACED in that conversion, with the late components.
Mixing early with late parts may simply be your problem.
bdstone914
@PlaysWithCars

Are you using an early or late front shift rod ?
The early rod is larger in diameter and moves more horizontally and needs the from guide bushing and bracket.

Which Rennehift did you get ? Early of late?

The late type shifter and rod moves the shift rod more up and down as the clamp to the rod is solid. The early shifter has the ball cup that allows the internal bushing to ride up and down.

I have seen side shift conversions that keep the early rod and sleeve the outside of the rod at the firewall bushing and keep the early bushing.

914werke
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 7 2021, 07:47 AM) *
I have seen side shift conversions that keep the early (front) rod and sleeve the outside of the rod at the firewall bushing and keep the early bushing.

What? huh.gif
The early rod IS the larger dia. so why would it need to be sleeved?
Its when you do he conversion as I suggested above, using all late components that you need to account for the smaller diameter of the late front rod at the firewall opening.
Thats why there is/was a conversion bushing
A better solution may be Chris's spherical bearing but again I believe that will only accept the late dia. rod.
Mikey914
I have the conversion bushing if that is what you need
rhodyguy
When I converted the 72' I used to own, I had 0 issues using ALL of the late linkage and the plain Jane conversion bushing. I replaced every bushing, bar/mounts and the late shifter was in excellent condition. Could this be partially due to being a 6 conversion?
PlaysWithCars
Hi guys, thank you for the input. I've been following Raynecat's thread over here where he is solving the same problem: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=351402

But, to answer some of your questions:
- not a -6 conversion, original -6
- using the late style shifter from Rennshift w/ a late style front shift rod
- using a brand new firewall conversion bushing

I think as Raynecat found, there are tolerance stack up, variances in build, maybe slight changes in the center shift rod bend, etc that leads to rubs. I wonder if there could even be variance in the shift fork adjustment in the transmission that require more/less movement to get R-1 and 4-5 shift planes. It wouldn't take much of a change in the adjustment to require just enough extra movement in the shift rod to cause this problem.

@Dr Evil - hey Doc, do you have any thoughts if this situation could be influenced by the adjustment of the shift forks? Is it possible for there to be wear in the shift forks or for them to be adjusted such that the shift "comb" has to move further to engage R-1 and 4-5 shift planes? Could that require more side to side movement of the shifter and contribute to interference between the shift rod and the support bracket in the tunnel?
davehg
I had my transmission rebuilt recently after noting a similar problem. My restoration shop used Tangerine Racing’s shift rod kit and their precision shift adjuster, and it cured most of the sloppiness in shifting. The adjuster may help you fine tune the shifter. Already had the shift rod bearing.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm

At a stop I still sometimes have challenges shifting into first, but I first put it in second, then into first and it works.

I have a 3.2 mated to my 901 so I generallly avoid using first except in a parking lot.
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 7 2021, 10:18 AM) *

I have the conversion bushing if that is what you need

Thanks Mark. I bought the new bushing I'm using from you. Fits great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.