Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad Day at Road America
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Pics of the carnage! ohmy.gif
GaroldShaffer
in teh comments below the pcitures they were talking about cheater cars, what does he mean?
seanery
7/8ths scale cars that were passed (once or twice) off as full size.
URY914
I posted some of those pics in the thread earlier today.

P
sixnotfour
Holy Cow thats Nasty, The orange with silver stripe Corvette is Bruce Leven from the 962 days of Baysde Disposal.
Hope he 's is OK looks like they put a collar on his neck and strecher.
The Candian BFG corvette belonged to another local Bill Cotter.
Steve Mcdonald should be in there some where .

Leven's OK i am told
machina
thank god there were no fires, was everyone OK?

true life is definitely stranger than fiction. unsure.gif
john rogers
That sure is a narrow piece of racetrack! Some of the streets we race on in Mexico are wider than that.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Jul 18 2005, 08:42 AM)
in teh comments below the pcitures they were talking about cheater cars, what does he mean?

My thought is that he is talking about cars that were running "non-historic" engines, primarily. (He said something about "strokers" a little bit later, I think.) "That car only raced with a 289 CI motor, but he's got a 440 in it now! Cheater!!!"

--DD
john rogers
Dave's pretty much right about the "cheater" definition. I looked at several of the 1969 Z28's at the CA Speedway vintage race several weeks ago and none of the engines were the familiar 302 with the "camel hump" fuel injection heads. Everything was after market and that is why some of them can make 600 to 700 HP with little trouble. I used to own a 1969 Z28 and although it was fast, it was nothing like the engines in these cars now!!
Randal
Dave's pretty much right about the "cheater" definition.

I don't know why, for sure, but there is more cheating going on in "Historics," than with any other racing venue I've seen.

And there seems to be a definate bias towards certain cars doing whatever they want.

Like Porsche's having to run stock size DOT tires, like 205's and Vettes/Mustangs and others running whatever they can jam under the flared wheelwells. wacko.gif
URY914
Look at the 914's that run in these events. They're not period correct at all. The body maybe a GT but under it it's anything goes. The Gunner 914 is 100% carbon fiber body. Did they have C/F in 1970? rolleyes.gif

P
Randal
Look at the 914's that run in these events

You're right, but out here, within the "Victory Lane" PC arena, you seldom if ever see a 914.

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jul 18 2005, 04:13 PM)
Did they have C/F in 1970?

we didn't even have carbon in 1970.
the dinosaurs died in 1973 and coal formed right after that.
we've come a long way in 35 years kiddies !
morgan
I was there, NO one I repeat No was hurt bad. hurt neck and soar back thats all.
It happen at the start of the race, know to stores will let you know the right one when I can confirm it. I will not spread rumors . Four of those drivers are good friends. They all are heart broken about what happen. There were 17 cars involved in it most drove to the pits on there own.

John stromberg.gif

P.S> the track is 36 feet wide
spare time toys
I like Road America,its a fun track driving.gif . We used to go there a bunch back in the early 80s. I blew out the rear end of my 73 Vette by turn three sad.gif and that was during the Corvette Corral parade lap cool_shades.gif its not a narow as it looks in that photo.
serge914
There are some realy great pictures on this site
Carlson Digital
serge914
hjh
SpecialK
This quote kind of sums it up:

chuck 18-Jul-2005 21:20

"I am glad everyone made it out ok. Thats a lot of unhappy rich white guys right there... :-)"
Randal
chuck 18-Jul-2005 21:20

"I am glad everyone made it out ok. Thats a lot of unhappy rich white guys right there... :-)"

And one of the reasons they did is that they all were running fuel cells, 5 or 6 points belts, cages / adequate roll bars, racing seats, driving suits, gloves and (proper) racing shoes, i.e., not gym shoes.
Bill Shaw
Just got back from Wisconsin and saw the pics. Horrible! - but understandable, also. I've raced everything from a Spitfire to a Formula Atlantic at Elkhart from the 70s to the 90s and still remember going up the hill to the start in a field of 80 Formula Fords in fear that some a**hole in 40th position wouldn't try to jump the field by nailing it coming out of station 14 in the hope that the flag had already dropped and he could pick up a couple of positions.

I'm also surprised that there wasn't a similar incident in the "touring" sessions on the track. I took Porky II out on Sunday and the speed difference among the cars was unbelievable! I followed a Buick down the back straight at 70, passed him and was passed myself by a Carrera who must have been doing 130 (all right, I was doing an indicated 110 when he passed me - mea culpa). Must admit, it felt good to shake the 914's cobwebs off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.