Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2021 What's in the works
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
Wanted to see this event continue to occur. What's the status? I know we have come COVID issues, but perhaps a little later in the year most will be behind us???

I'd like to at least help out.
Cairo94507
Hip Hip Hooray! Count my brother and I in. Hopefully this will happen. Last year we had a great time. driving.gif
ConeDodger
agree.gif There should be some light by June... Where?
Cairo94507
Personally, the roads we drove in the Petaluma area were great drives. We could move a bit south to the Bay Area but you run into bad traffic 7 days per week typically. confused24.gif
Coondog
Talk was to head down to the San Luis Obispo area.
tygaboy
Yep, at the closing of WCR 2020, Robert @BuddyV mentioned San Luis and that we (Robert, @MarkHoward and me) would be willing to coordinate again. I can't speak for them as we've not talked about it since, but I'd be willing to help. I can do awards, planning, leg work, etc.

Note that zero effort has been put into looking at hotels, costs, drives, etc. so...

That said, if others are chomping to be in charge and run the 2021 show, just say so. Either way, I'll help, if needed.

And this time, hopefully, I'll have my car there, in full participation mode. driving.gif
drem914
QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 10 2021, 03:39 PM) *

Yes, great back roads, PCH, breweries and wineries and usually good weather. driving.gif
Wyvern
I'm going to say that even with the "challenges" of 2020 the event was great.
Any improvement in social spacing and everything else this will be fantastic-er
double-a
count me in 100%, haven't done a rally in more than a decade
Mikey914
I'm thinking late July as that should see a better chance of all this being a little more in the rear view mirror. Just want to see it come together and these things typically take some planning.
jcd914
Count me in where ever it is.

I even have a running drivable 914, it still needs some work but it will be ready.

My wife and I both went to Cal Poly SLO, so it is one of the places I can talk my wife into going.

Jim
Tonyooc
I will drive to SLO. Nice area up and down the coast there.
jim_hoyland
Great news ! smile.gif
SO.O.C914er
Hell yes! I would be in for SLO.......drive driving.gif I have family in Paso Robles. As Franz said fun driving area and good brew houses and wineries. Could drive over to James Dean’s 550 crash site.......Paul
Andyrew
I vote July as well.
BuddyV
LOVE this topic!

We managed a great WCR this past year in November..... and I think July 2021 is too soon. I am on the board for a local hospital, and we "Might" have half of our population vaccinated by then. Not good enough, IMHO.

The driving is social distanced.... but otherwise, it's tough to stay safe. Not impossible,,,, but tough.

Maybe again in November?

A. It gives more time for vaccinations
B. Cooler than July , and no one except maybe JamesJ has AC (Yes, I'm jealous)
C. SLO area is GORGEOUS! - my alma mater (spelling??).... and we have a 2020 attendee that lives local... I will reach out
D. SLO is HOTTTTTT in July. Too Hot..... 100+ degree hot.
E. Maybe we can manage something special, like a camping location instead of motel?

And let's face it.... most of us NEED that long to get our cars ready.

That said, a few of us Northern California members are certainly willing to help coordinate whatever the group decides.

Lastly.... if SLO doesn't work out for some reason, and no one is interested in hosting in Southern Cal (or anyone else), we would be happy to host again in Northern California..... but would rather share the love south of us this year.

:beer2

Robert
ConeDodger
I am vaccinated. I suppose when I look at it through that lens, I forget that many of you aren’t. Something to consider...
VegasRacer
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Feb 10 2021, 06:26 PM) *

. . . . Could drive over to James Dean’s 550 crash site.....

Click to view attachment
VegasRacer (John), @Heeltoe914 (Leamon), @Mike D (Mike)
Big Len
Tell me this doesn't feel good to discuss this.

That's why I made that video for the northeast event. It's something to look forward to, something to count down to on your calendar. We need it.
JamesJ
Hey Robert,
You and Chris and Mark set the bar really high last November and it was a great experience. I agree with you...waiting until next Fall might help out for all of the reasons you mentioned.
I may have A/C, but your car is lighter than mine and did I hear that it is getting even lighter?
Count me in for WCR 2021!
Mikey914
Where I was going with this is

1 -Who has officially stepped up?
There may be school for some so that is a thought too.
If we have a responsible party lets set some dates and place. I have a feeling that many folks are pent up and we may find that hotels can be an issue. Right now late July early Aug we may have a better chance of getting good pricing too

2-IN tradition last event was central Cal, it should move North or South. Also if it is central San Simeon is cooler.

We may have #1 answered but we need time for folks to plan too.

Coondog
Having lived in SLO myself, a Nov date can start to get cold and foggy. Mid October has great weather with a touch of fall in the air. I was in Paso Robles this past Sept and it was still over 100 degrees.

It’s best for the event planners to just pick a date, all of us will just make it work no matter what. Hopefully the Thursday night Farmers market will be back open by then.
7T914-6
Loved this year’s event. I’m in!!!!!
Andyrew
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Feb 10 2021, 07:42 PM) *

LOVE this topic!

We managed a great WCR this past year in November..... and I think July 2021 is too soon. I am on the board for a local hospital, and we "Might" have half of our population vaccinated by then. Not good enough, IMHO.

The driving is social distanced.... but otherwise, it's tough to stay safe. Not impossible,,,, but tough.

Maybe again in November?

A. It gives more time for vaccinations
B. Cooler than July , and no one except maybe JamesJ has AC (Yes, I'm jealous)
C. SLO area is GORGEOUS! - my alma mater (spelling??).... and we have a 2020 attendee that lives local... I will reach out
D. SLO is HOTTTTTT in July. Too Hot..... 100+ degree hot.
E. Maybe we can manage something special, like a camping location instead of motel?

And let's face it.... most of us NEED that long to get our cars ready.

That said, a few of us Northern California members are certainly willing to help coordinate whatever the group decides.

Lastly.... if SLO doesn't work out for some reason, and no one is interested in hosting in Southern Cal (or anyone else), we would be happy to host again in Northern California..... but would rather share the love south of us this year.

:beer2

Robert

Honestly I was only saying July because June is a bad month for me... November is a GREAT month for me as its mine and Dads birthday so were GOOD for 914 events.

It also gives me some time to break my car and rebuild it smile.gif
gonzo54
QUOTE(drem914 @ Feb 10 2021, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 10 2021, 03:39 PM) *

Yes, great back roads, PCH, breweries and wineries and usually good weather. driving.gif

WCR in San Luis Obispo-Great Idea! Looking forward to it-count me in
914Toy
I am in driving-girl.gif
ValcoOscar
WCR2021 in SLO beerchug.gif

I'm IN, Chucky and I will be there driving.gif

O

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 10 2021, 08:27 PM) *

I am vaccinated. I suppose when I look at it through that lens, I forget that many of you aren’t. Something to consider...

Given our relative age range that shouldn't be an issue by then, unless the vaccine fails.

Question is will CA be open for business? I expect the summer bump to repeat, though not as bad. Restaurants are currently 25% capacity and limit 4 per table. Plus they expect travelers to self-quarantine for 10 days after arrival screwy.gif Not that it matters Covid transmission study

I think June/July is optimistic. Aug/Sept seems more likely to have all the pieces in place. Oct is kinda late in the topless weather season and was the start of the Holiday surge which may or may not repeat.
Mikey914
Just needs to be warm enough to drink beer in the parking lot
SO.O.C914er
Cheers to that brother beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
flat4guy
July to hot and to close to Monterey Speed Week. November sounds good. Has anyone stopped at the JD memorial, kind of a let down. Just my 2 cents.
914_teener
I'll throw this out there for what it's worth.

We and my extended family have had reservations at Ocean Mesa Campgrounds since the pandemic started. We are meeting there this June.

There are some wonderful roads around the interior of the Santa Barbara area. You can order your own trailer there if you don't have one. The sites are huge and there are some great winery's to see along with R1 drives.

Not that I can step up but just a fail safe idea in leiu pf hotels. It's a private campground not a state run one. reservations are six months in advance and normally the snowbirds sop them up but since the pandemic mostly regional folks have been there. It's way warmer then SLO in November in fact no fog there at all that time of year.

By then I may even have another 914?
Cairo94507
Hey that sounds great and better yet is that we may attract more southern CA members and beat our last year numbers. Maybe we can hit 50 cars or more! beerchug.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 11 2021, 09:51 AM) *

WCR2021 in SLO beerchug.gif

I'm IN, Chucky and I will be there driving.gif

O

Click to view attachment

Miss you dude!

first.gif huh.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Feb 11 2021, 07:30 PM) *

Has anyone stopped at the JD memorial, kind of a let down. Just my 2 cents.

I assure you, it is the most interesting thing for miles and miles . . .
Click to view attachment

. . . unless you want to count Blackwells Corner.
Click to view attachment
Jack Standz
A SLO ride (set to the Foghat song) sounds like a very nice diversion from everything else that's going on.

We vote for October or November as cooler seems better than the heat of July.
strawman
I live here in SLO County, and after chatting with Robert on Thursday -- with his assurances he'll help with the back-end stuff -- I'm willing to "lead" the WCR events this year. I'm crazy-busy with work this year, so we'll need to truly make this a team effort for it to work.

I live on an acre in Los Osos, and folks can park car trailers here if needed. I also have a fully-equipped shop in case someone needs to make an emergency repair.

SLO County is currently still in the State's COVID-19 "Purple" tier designation, but we expect to transition to the "Red" tier next week based on recent positivity/hospitalization trends. Who knows where we'll be later this year, but I agree with others above that later may be a safer bet than earlier. November can be a bit foggy along the Coast, so I suggest late September or early October.

Some possible HQ locations include Morro Bay, Cambria and San Simeon along the Coast. The recent mudslide in Monterey County near Big Sur closed Highway 1 (again!), which will reduce traffic along the Coast for the next 18 months or so and might make hotels in Cambria and San Simeon more affordable. We could also do it in SLO (plenty of medium-size hotels along upper Monterey Street), which increases costs but also access to restaurants, craft brewpubs, shopping, entertainment, etc.

Let's do this thing!
jcd914
Just my 2 cents:

Date: Heat is not an issue to me, 100 plus degrees in Sacramento valley is normal.

BUT Sept 9, 10, 11, 12 are out for me. The Monterey Sports Car Championship the is that weekend at Laguna Seca (all paid for).

So except for the race weekend, no matter when or where I'll be there.

Jim
Eric_Shea
SLO gets my vote.
914_7T3
I'd be in for SLO...... driving.gif
DucRS
I’m in for SLO, Morro Bay in Sept -Nov. The month of October is, in my opinion, the most beautiful month for that area.

beerchug.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(DucRS @ Feb 13 2021, 03:16 PM) *

I’m in for SLO, Morro Bay in Sept -Nov. The month of October is, in my opinion, the most beautiful month for that area.

beerchug.gif

Isn't it time for Oregon???
Unpretentious
SLO in the fall sounds great to us! Love tha area!! Don’t spend as much time there as we’d like since sons 4 (Fall 2018) & 5 (Spring 2020) graduated from Cal Poly.

gonzo54
QUOTE(Unpretentious @ Feb 14 2021, 05:50 PM) *

SLO in the fall sounds great to us! Love tha area!! Don’t spend as much time there as we’d like since sons 4 (Fall 2018) & 5 (Spring 2020) graduated from Cal Poly.

We love SLO too and October would be great!! Looking forward to seeing you Jerry & Cathy and all the WCR participants!
Mikey914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 14 2021, 05:25 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Kind of why I was trying to get a decision on thevWRC. We sponsored “The Beer Run” in Forest Grove last year and plan to do it again 2021. I’ll still help out and attend WRC 21 but I have to schedule out 4-6 months out to make it work.
So can we set a date?
BuddyV
QUOTE(strawman @ Feb 13 2021, 10:56 AM) *

I live here in SLO County, and after chatting with Robert on Thursday -- with his assurances he'll help with the back-end stuff -- I'm willing to "lead" the WCR events this year. I'm crazy-busy with work this year, so we'll need to truly make this a team effort for it to work.

I live on an acre in Los Osos, and folks can park car trailers here if needed. I also have a fully-equipped shop in case someone needs to make an emergency repair.

SLO County is currently still in the State's COVID-19 "Purple" tier designation, but we expect to transition to the "Red" tier next week based on recent positivity/hospitalization trends. Who knows where we'll be later this year, but I agree with others above that later may be a safer bet than earlier. November can be a bit foggy along the Coast, so I suggest late September or early October.

Some possible HQ locations include Morro Bay, Cambria and San Simeon along the Coast. The recent mudslide in Monterey County near Big Sur closed Highway 1 (again!), which will reduce traffic along the Coast for the next 18 months or so and might make hotels in Cambria and San Simeon more affordable. We could also do it in SLO (plenty of medium-size hotels along upper Monterey Street), which increases costs but also access to restaurants, craft brewpubs, shopping, entertainment, etc.

Let's do this thing!

You will have all the help you need, Brother!

Thank you for stepping up!

Robert
Robarabian
Im in!!
Coondog
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 14 2021, 08:56 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Kind of why I was trying to get a decision on thevWRC. We sponsored “The Beer Run” in Forest Grove last year and plan to do it again 2021. I’ll still help out and attend WRC 21 but I have to schedule out 4-6 months out to make it work.
So can we set a date?

How about Oct 15-16-17. That’s right in the middle of the month.
We need a SLO local member to work on a hotel. My first suggestion is the Downtown Quality Suites. Large hotel with lots of parking. Just be ready for sticker shock. October is tourist season.
gonzo54
QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 15 2021, 04:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 14 2021, 08:56 PM) *

beerchug.gif

So can we set a date?

How about Oct 15-16-17. That’s right in the middle of the month.
We need a SLO local member to work on a hotel. My first suggestion is the Downtown Quality Suites. Large hotel with lots of parking. Just be ready for sticker shock. October is tourist season.

I hope it isn't October 15th-I have Eagles Tickets and have been waiting years to see them.
Unpretentious
Gonzo54,

Eagles or WRC? That’s a real dilemma!
BTW - I appreciate your care of the “Orange Crush“ since taking her over from us my friend.

Blessings,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.