Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 on EBAY with 1967 911S 2.0L engine question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
9144me2enjoy
I ran across a listing on EBAY Item #224348635275 on a 1974 Porsche 914 with a 1967 911S 2.0L engine installed etc. The 67 911S engine was a sportier 2.0L engine Porsche that put out reportedly 180 hp, with 144 lb torque. Looking at the overall car it looks pretty rough! Looks like someone has put the oil tank in the front compartment and not real sure whats going on in the engine compartment. If someone has the time could they look at this listing and give me your thoughts. I have asked the seller to clearify what’s going on in the engine compartment and some engine numbers, no reply.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
total disaster, but worth the money for the parts., SO if you consider that you are purchasing a six cylinder engine and five lug suspension and fuchs wheels, it is worth buying. Who knows about the engine with that turbo charger butched into the car?

QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Feb 13 2021, 12:23 PM) *

I ran across a listing on EBAY Item #224348635275 on a 1974 Porsche 914 with a 1967 911S 2.0L engine installed etc. The 67 911S engine was a sportier 2.0L engine Porsche that put out reportedly 180 hp, with 144 lb torque. Looking at the overall car it looks pretty rough! Looks like someone has put the oil tank in the front compartment and not real sure whats going on in the engine compartment. If someone has the time could they look at this listing and give me your thoughts. I have asked the seller to clearify what’s going on in the engine compartment and some engine numbers, no reply.

PlaysWithCars
Wow. Somebody started quite the science project on that one. Twin turbo charged, "creative" oil circuit and many other things that you just can't tell what they were up to. Looks like they read an engineering book that taught them fins are good for cooling so they put them everywhere they could.

Chassis is a nightmare, looks of indications of serious rust (bubbles at a-pillar, pass side jack point missing, valences barely attached, ...) And what's with the later style bumper on the front? Did someone forward date the front bumper back in the day? Used to happen on 911s. Maybe there were some motivated 914 owners too.

BHCC finds another perfect "candidate for restoration".
sixnotfour
Mechanical fuel injection and Twin Turbos
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 13 2021, 12:36 PM) *

total disaster, but worth the money for the parts., SO if you consider that you are purchasing a six cylinder engine and five lug suspension and fuchs wheels, it is worth buying. Who knows about the engine with that turbo charger butched into the car?

QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Feb 13 2021, 12:23 PM) *

agree.gif Maybe... engine may be total junk but, if it's a real 2.0 S then the engine is worth the $14.5k. WHAT A FRIGGEN ABORTION THOUGH!!! blink.gif wacko.gif

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Porsche-914/2...m4AAOSwQpZgHEjZ
BillC
Did you see the seller? Beverly Hills Car Club. So, no surprise it's such an "excellent candidate for restoration".

I have to wonder where they find these "wonderful" examples. They can't all come from the bottom of a lake.
gandalf_025
Seriously doubt it is a 67 S engine..
Mechanical Fuel Injection wasn't around in a 911
till 1969 as far as I remember.
It could be a 1969 S engine though...
9144me2enjoy
I felt like it was probably worth there asking price for parts but still too many unknowns without seeing this one in person to verify what you were actually buying!
rhodyguy
What's in that package above the trailer hitch? huh.gif Spend 5k more now and get better car. But not one from BHCC.
9144me2enjoy
I made contact with a salesman who is suppose to get me more pics and numbers off the engine and more info about the 5 lug conversion etc. and any history on the overall package etc. and if possible the owners name and number to dig deeper into this cars past or direction someone was going with it. I’ve dealt with BHCC once before on a 914 they had which after about 10 minutes talking to the salesman I said thanks but no thanks! They’re not exactly up front with you on everything, imagine that.
Jett
I was good until seeing the trailer hitch smile.gif
9144me2enjoy
It seams like there is no history on the car! I’ve asked for someone to find the engine number which is stamped on the nose section of the case below the generator or the other two numbers visible on the left and right halves of the engine case behind the generator stand. The left is the case serial number and the right is the model number of the engine. Starting numbers should be between 750001 - 756195 and 836001 - 837070.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 13 2021, 02:12 PM) *

H&H trailer hitch, My Dads Six had one , the previous owner Towed his MX motorcycle to the track with it....$ 3500 dollar car in 1976
9144me2enjoy
Salesman said the engine reportedly did turn over but wouldn’t start, at least its not locked up!
I doubt very much if they are able to retrieve the engine, case or model numbers. Do we have anyone from the forum that resides down in the LA area to inspect the car?

VIN #4742915460. Not found in the forums data base.
sixnotfour
The Oil Tank is a one year only 1972 911, Too bad they filled in the oil level sender hole..
9144me2enjoy
Good eye....
mb911
Would it be an aluminum case 2.0?
Cairo94507
Beverly Hills Car Club never saw a POS that in their opinion was not an "excellent candidate for restoration". They should have been partnered up with "Motormeister". Same crap.
9144me2enjoy
I believe in 67-68 they were Aluminum cases. If so that could be checked pretty easy with a magnet.
mb911
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Feb 13 2021, 02:18 PM) *

I believe in 67-68 they were Aluminum cases. If so that could be checked pretty easy with a magnet.

Well the magnet would not do you any good to determine magnesium vs aluminum biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Feb 13 2021, 05:18 PM) *

Magnet?

'68 changed to mag.
9144me2enjoy
That’s true....... sad.gif
9144me2enjoy
One possibly could check the Fuchs to see what the date code was which I believe in 67 was unique to have Fuchs. Assuming maybe someone took the Fuchs and the engine out of the same donor car!
mepstein
Maybe someone will get lucky but I have a feeling the guys at BHCC know what they have and have priced it accordingly.
9144me2enjoy
I would say your probably correct.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(PlaysWithCars @ Feb 13 2021, 11:41 AM) *

Wow. Somebody started quite the science project on that one. Twin turbo charged, "creative" oil circuit and many other things that you just can't tell what they were up to. Looks like they read an engineering book that taught them fins are good for cooling so they put them everywhere they could.

Chassis is a nightmare, looks of indications of serious rust (bubbles at a-pillar, pass side jack point missing, valences barely attached, ...) And what's with the later style bumper on the front? Did someone forward date the front bumper back in the day? Used to happen on 911s. Maybe there were some motivated 914 owners too.

BHCC finds another perfect "candidate for restoration".

It looks to me like they put the rubber cover from a BUB over the front bumper. I think I see the rubber top of the '74 bumper peeking out in the corners.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2021, 02:40 PM) *

Maybe someone will get lucky but I have a feeling the guys at BHCC know what they have and have priced it accordingly.

Accordingly + 50%?
9144me2enjoy
We’ve several forum members that have chimed in on this 914 with expertise on rebuilding and identifying 911 engines. What are your thoughts or gut feelings? 1) It’s probably not a 67-911 2.0L S engine 2) BHCC probably know exactly what they have just not disclosing it although possibly could be setting themselves up for a lawsuit 3) Don’t have enough information to draw a logical conclusion. What other questions would you be asking?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 13 2021, 01:12 PM) *

That's the only part on it that I want.
9144me2enjoy
Mike if I buy it I will make sure you get the trailer hitch! Semper Fi
sixnotfour
I didn't see a reference to S.. a 67 case is wanted , but needs 2k worth of upgrades for a hot rod.. I have a complete 68 engine for 10500, with webers.
I did sell a no number 64/65 case fore $22,500
9144me2enjoy
It’s amazing what these engines are bringing these days! Unfortunately without further inspection I’m not willing to take that gamble on this 1967 2.0L engine or whatever it actually is. Thanks for the insight of current market values. I will keep your 68 in mind. Thanks
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2021, 03:21 PM) *

QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Feb 13 2021, 05:18 PM) *

Magnet?

'68 changed to mag.

mid year/ 68 mag .. 68 alum. cases are the best, they accept later chain housings , no mods..
stownsen914
Why do the underside pics show what looks like a 914/4 crossbar and a deep sump from a type 4? The early 911 aluminum cases don't look like that.
bretth
Maybe it is one of those 500hp 2.1 RSR turbo race 911 motors. More likely another baffling Beverly Hill Billys Clown Car Club special.
roblav1
I'll take a swag that it's not an aluminum case. First mfi was 1969... and mag case.
Intake valve covers look like sand cast aluminum. Can't tell if mfi intakes are mag or plastic. Horrid hack job... and too bad about that rare oil tank.
If those are real Fuchs, the front struts 3.5" caliper spacing, and the rear 5 lug conversion is correct, I'd give $10k sight unseen.
9144me2enjoy
I have a friend in the area that’s suppose to go bye next week and take a look at it for me.
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Feb 13 2021, 06:40 PM) *

Why do the underside pics show what looks like a 914/4 crossbar and a deep sump from a type 4? The early 911 aluminum cases don't look like that.

Yeah, I scratched my head on that as well and have stared at the pictures for a while and still can't figure it out.

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Feb 13 2021, 03:06 PM) *

It looks to me like they put the rubber cover from a BUB over the front bumper. I think I see the rubber top of the '74 bumper peeking out in the corners.

Hey, you're right. You can definitely see the early bumper under the edges. The sheet metal screw holding it on is kind of a give away too.

Are those aluminum 911S calipers up front? And it looks like Koni red on the rear shocks.

Looks like a 911 trombone style oil cooler over the tail housing of the transmission.

Wish I lived in the L.A. area. This would be an interesting one to pursue in person.
davehg
The DeTomoso Pantera called. It wants its center console back.
stownsen914
I'm guessing the engine is a mongrel. If the case matches an early S, it'll be worth something regardless, even more if it turns out to be aluminum. If the MFI is complete, that is worth $$ by itself.
ElCee
Hey,
I wonder if my engine is identical as the one you’ve been talking about?
I bought my 914 in May 1970 with a 4-cylinder engine, later I bought a 1969 6-cylinder MFI (engine no. 6390039) in Germany in 1971 and then put that engine in my 914.
After driving the 914 for about 15 years, the car was stored in around 1985
A few years ago I took it out again, completely disassembled it and had it sandblasted.
Lately I have been busy welding in new sheet metal, putting in some new parts and I have been hoping to start driving the 914 again within a few years.
But reading this thread, I’ve started wondering: If my engine is really worth that much, wouldn't I be better off selling this engine and installing a 4-cylinder or a even a cheaper 6-cylinder?

ElCee
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Feb 13 2021, 04:08 PM) *

I made contact with a salesman who is suppose to get me more pics and numbers off the engine and more info about the 5 lug conversion etc. and any history on the overall package etc. and if possible the owners name and number to dig deeper into this cars past or direction someone was going with it. I’ve dealt with BHCC once before on a 914 they had which after about 10 minutes talking to the salesman I said thanks but no thanks! They’re not exactly up front with you on everything, imagine that.

While I firmly believe BHCC gets a bad rap you HAVE to go see their cars in person and know what you are buying. I’d never buy from them remotely and you have to accept full responsibility for any due diligence required.

It is highly unlikely they will have any real history or contact info for you.

I’d suggest thay is not the not the sort of car to buy from them.
Tdskip
@ElCee - drive it an enjoy it.
9144me2enjoy
The only partial numbers I’ve received they said they got off the bottom of the engine was HA 21 02.....not clear about last two numbers given. They also advised they have no contact info of previous owner or history.
Tdskip
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Feb 14 2021, 10:19 AM) *

The only partial numbers I’ve received they said they got off the bottom of the engine was HA 21 02.....not clear about last two numbers given. They also advised they have no contact info of previous owner or history.

Unless you personally, or someone who really knows these cars and 911 goes in person, you’re kind of just setting yourself up to be disappointed or wasting time. As a interesting topic to discuss no worries but please heed the comments above if you’re serious about the car.
rgalla9146
The wheels appear to be flat 6s '72>
The front struts look like Hydropneumatics which are unusual '72 era
They are 911S/early930 front calipers '69s - '77 930
Oil tank '72 only
MFI '69-'73
I do see an 'eyebrow' on one intake valve cover spark plug hole .....early sandcast or
SC pressure cast ?
With all of that plumbing on top it would be very hard to see the engine
identification or serial number. That MUST be determined.
It's almost possible to make out three ribs on the front of a sand cast alloy
engine case from below. Maybe not.
Early aluminum case and MFI don't usually happen together.
Homebrew engine conglameration ? Possible scrounged parts from a '72 E ?
What a mystery.
That motor mount !!!! That plumbing !!!!
For the right price it could very interesting. Sand cast engine or '72 E ? Both are
plusses.
A lot of junk to remove too.
PlaysWithCars
agree.gif
I was thinking 72 donor car except the the MFI stacks are mag not plastic. So, the whole thing at least is not 72.

The numbers off of the top of the MFI pump and stack castings may be more accessible and could provide some clues. Although only directional information as they too can be modified. But it would help set a value as a parts car. If they have S numbers on them it increases value and starts to corroborate the claim that it's an S motor.
9144me2enjoy
Thanks for all the insight, time will unravel the mystery behind this 914 rather it turns out to be a lost treasure or a overpriced gem!
gereed75
Wow. As unlikely as it first seems, this appears to be a twin turbo plumbed into MFI throttle bodies. I think that those two heat sinks stuck on the top of the air filter block off plates are some sort of effort at inter cooling. This is consistent with what appears to be a similar heat sink stuck on the oil drain plate under the engine.

Is that radiator cap plumbed into the intake “manifold” intended to be some sort of blow off valve!?!?

Again I say wow! The twists and turns created by the inexplicable human mind are indeed incredible. As wacky as all this is, it took serious effort. It was not just imagined, it was built, with serious intent, however misguided!

For someone so inclined, it appears to be worth the ask in parts - and the adventure in unraveling the mysteries.

I wonder if it ever ran?.
rgalla9146

Maybe the friggin twin turbos overwhelmed the mere mortal engine below ? sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.