Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs reconditioning DIY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi all,

In process of cleaning up my wheels while engine and transmission are out.
I have read through many threads and have done countless google searches.
I have not found a definitive opinion or agreement among the brain trust of how to closely or best match the anodize look.
One rim looks pretty good after I did some polishing
The second rim however is missing some of the anodizing.

I really like the original look which I think is the polished raise parts and the anodized recessed portion.

Your Input is much appreciated.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
iankarr
The best option is to have them restored by a pro like Al Reed. Wheels are really time consuming and as much as I like to DIY, having the wheels done professionally is money well spent. That said, I got decent results using lye to remove the anodizing, polishing / masking the petals and soda blasting the spaces in-between. Then sealing with clear coat...but if the clear ever chips, you’ll probably need to strip it off and start again. Here’s a few pics. I did this more as a proof of process, so I didn’t clean up all the rash. I'm happy with the look, but they took way too much time wink.gif.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachmentp
Wew
Thanks for sharing your experience Ian.

Coming from you, it certainly causes me pause to keep digging in any further.

I will stick with the DIY motor and transmission work.

Compliments of Jake’s and Dr. Evil’s tutorials and this amazing forum.

Next steps, send out the four hoops to a pro.

Thanks again,

Gary

iankarr
I don't mean to discourage. If you have the time and the inclination, there's nothing like the sense of pride you get from doing it yourself. Just providing my .02 cents after doing one wheel. Enjoy!
mepstein
It's about $300 plus shipping per wheel for pro restoration.
zig-n-zag
I’ve seen up close a set of anodized color paint done by Wheel

Enhancement on a set of 911 7 & 8 x 16s. It was very close to the real

thing. A non-discerning eye may miss it.
SKL1
Have Harvey Weidman do them...
burlybryan
I went the DIY method like Ian. The PO of my car took the perfectly good but slightly faded clear wheels and sanded and painted them. I had them glass bead blasted and then masked and hand wet sanded. 2 weeks and a very sore shoulder, but I'm happy with the results. I didn't want them shiny polished, so I ended at 3000 grit and then hand polished with Mothers. Inevitably, some deeper scratches and areas where the blasting pitted deeper than my sanding still remains.
burlybryan
Pic of the bead blasted wheel masked for sanding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.