Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another way to install torsion bars from a 911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Miguel K R
I bought a pair of 911 front torsion bars and the adjusters.
I know that most people replace the 914 control arms by a pair from a 911 in order to have the splines required by the 911 bars.
As I am in Portugal (Europe) it is a lot more difficult to find used 911 control arms, so I had the idea of converting the 914 arms to the 911 spline pattern.
Has anyone done that, and are some photos or advice available ?
I have access to a wire EDM machine so it will be easy to obtain two pieces with the 911 splines, to weld to the arms.
And does anyone have a drawing of the 911 splines ?
914Sixer
Just buy the Dansk early 911 control Arms. Around $200 each here. They will be plug and play and you will have new parts. No headache to put new bushings on the arms.
Mark Henry
Never heard of anyone doing that.
IIRC you can get heavy duty torsion bars with the correct /4 spline from Sway-a-Way.
Or put a WTB in the classifieds, someone might give you a good deal.

I have 2 914's, stock 914/4 torsion bars with 911T (914/6) struts and one has M-calipers the other has Alfa-Romeo brembo calipers that bolts right up. I'm pretty sure the 3.5" struts will also bolt right up to the /4 ball joints as well.
I also have a Tarrett 22mm hollow sway bar, you can't get much stiffer than that combo.
Steve
For a street car the 911 “A” arms with stock 18.8mm torsion bars is a nice upgrade over 914-4 stock 17.8mm torsion bars. Otherwise the next upgrade for 914-4 “A” arms is 21mm. I also went the Dansk route to get 911 “A” arms and used stock 911 torsion bars. I also have early boge 3.5” 911 struts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.