Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 Radio
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stickyfingers
Hi there people.

I was wondering if someone maybe able to tell me which radio this is. It's Canadian car and am getting varying search results. It's either a Blaupunkt or an Audiovox. Maybe one of you find people might be able to definitely tell me before I remove the unit to take a look at the back. I'd like to add that bluetooth adapter and needed to check to see if it's a 6-pin or 7-pin and the model of the radio.

Thank you!Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
Motorola Sapphire AM/FM. Normally dealer installed in 914's & VW's in early 70's.
stickyfingers
Thank you - that helps. Just what I was looking for.
DucRS
Looks like it’s missing the Porsche AM/FM switch in the middle. Yes, Saphire Motorola.
Click to view attachment
stickyfingers
QUOTE(DucRS @ Feb 22 2021, 10:11 AM) *

Looks like it’s missing the Porsche AM/FM switch in the middle. Yes, Saphire Motorola.
Click to view attachment

Are there any set of instructions somewhere or youtube video on how to remove this stereo out to take a look? I took a picture of the back of the unit and it's only got the antenna port in the back. Maybe it's that one brace that I need to unscrew and the unit should pop out?

I suspect, if any, DIN ports might be on the side of the unit. Ultimate goal is to get it working with Bluetooth but need to figure out if this radio will work with an adapter.

Thanks.Click to view attachment
drem914
1. undo ther bracket connecting it to the fire wall.
2. Pull the knobs off and undo the nuts behind the knobs holding the radio to the dash fascia.
3. Ther unit should then slide out from the back of the dash.

I don't see a DIN sleeve for a DIN stereo because these did not come with them originally at that age. You would have to install one if swapping to a more modern radio.

If you are looking to add blue-tooth, the easiest with this old of a style if you are not going to internally have it retrofitted is to get an FM Transmitter/Bluetooth/USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. those are all over ther place from $15-$20 and up
stickyfingers
Thanks - very helpful @Drem914 . I tried to even get a few lighter USB ports to work (I have a number of them where some fit loose but I have a couple that are very snug. I am getting no power from the adapters however the old school cigarette lighter heats up fire up a cig no problem. Any tips on this?

Thanks.
drem914
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Feb 22 2021, 08:39 AM) *

Thanks - very helpful @Drem914 . I tried to even get a few lighter USB ports to work (I have a number of them where some fit loose but I have a couple that are very snug. I am getting no power from the adapters however the old school cigarette lighter heats up fire up a cig no problem. Any tips on this?

Thanks.

No, that is an age old problem that they don't fit exactly the same. contacts not strong enough. barrel size too narrow allowing for the adapter to slide out or not stay in straight. I have had to try a few I finally found a 2-port simple plug adapter I use for my phone and dash cam. Others may have found a better solution
stickyfingers
If you don't mind me asking which one did you end up getting so that I can browse the net to find one.

Thank you!
stickyfingers
QUOTE(drem914 @ Feb 22 2021, 11:35 AM) *

1. undo ther bracket connecting it to the fire wall.
2. Pull the knobs off and undo the nuts behind the knobs holding the radio to the dash fascia.
3. Ther unit should then slide out from the back of the dash.

I don't see a DIN sleeve for a DIN stereo because these did not come with them originally at that age. You would have to install one if swapping to a more modern radio.

If you are looking to add blue-tooth, the easiest with this old of a style if you are not going to internally have it retrofitted is to get an FM Transmitter/Bluetooth/USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. those are all over ther place from $15-$20 and up

The FM bluetooth transmitter is not working that great - there is so much static - there is static in the radio just playing an FM station which makes it relatively useless to listen to the radio.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.