Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear Shift knob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stickyfingers
Hi all. First of all I love this forum. I'm really appreciating all the help everyone has been giving. This community is top notch and without judgement.

I'm finding all these small challenges with the vehicle but working through them one by one. This question is related to the shifter knob. Mine comes right off while driving - kind of annoying and dangerous at times. Seems like the previous owner put in two sided tape in the inside of the knob to kind of keep it in place.

I have checked the screw attached to #2 in the attachment below just moves around - not really thread it in there. I removed the screw but cannot seem to remove the #2 piece - don't know what we call that. Sorry for being such a noob.

Question 1: is there a way to remove that?
Question 2: should I just put some gorilla glue in the knob to hold it in place (lol).
Question 3: Should I buy a replacement (I love the existing knob) - see pics.

Searched previous posts and saw that people are suggesting I put a towel and slightly hammer a wrench upwards to remove that bushing (held by the non-working allen screw). But not sure if it will solve the issue. So just looking for your guidance on what is the recommend option.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
rjames
Try a new crush washer
https://914rubber.com/shifter-crush-sleeve

If that doesn't work, use something to shim around the washer so it's a tighter fit.
stickyfingers
Thanks rjames. I believe the crush washer is already there no? isn't that what my current knob goes on?
Mark Henry
The crush washer is a one time use only, get a new one.
stickyfingers
ah ok. How is it connected to the knob (the knob just slides on to it) wouldn't the knob still slide out even with the new crush washer?
bbrock
That is not a stock knob (but a desirable one IMO) and the bushing is not the stock part #2. I would remove the fluted bushing and either helicoil the set screw hole or tap it for the next size up screw. Then glue the bushing back into the knob, put it back on the lever, and tighten the now functioning set screw.

I don't see the crush bushing on yours, nor do I believe you use it with that style of knob. I have a similar know but it is a true press fit (no set screw) that also does not use the crush bushing.
VaccaRabite
You have some weirdness going on there, and it took me a minute to figure out what was going on.

The knob is aftermarket I think. And when you pulled the knob off the shifter you actually pulled the knob apart. The base of the knob is still attached to the shifter lever. That is not part 2 in your diagram. Part 2 is likely wedged between the knob base and the shifter lever.

OR

The person glued the knob to the shifter lever when they installed that aftermarket center console.

HOPE HOPE HOPE its the first thing and not the second.

ASSUMING ITS NOT GLUED: To remove the base, you need to tap under it with a hammer. I usually use an open ended wrench (15mm) to get more surface area around the base of the knob. Then smack it upwards with a hammer. Or with the knob broken as it is you could probably use a gear puller or a slide hammer to get it off.

If the PO was lazy and just epoxied the knob to the shaft you may be in a world of suck. Try the same thing as above and maybe the glue shears.

Under no circumstances do you want to be the next owners DAPO and glue the knob back on the shaft.

Zach
stickyfingers
Thanks guys. I want to do this right - this vehicle isn't going anyways and I plan on enjoying for a very long time - so I want to go as original as possible. I'll give that a ship and hopefully it isn't epoxied.
Tom_T
welcome.png

You've got the aftermarket AMCO shift knob that was sold by the dealers & suppliers back in the day (my 73 has the same knob), as is the center console.

#2 is not a screw, but is the retaining clip which is still sold by Porsche etc. & applies to the stock & these other knobs from the 1960s-80s - so they still carry them for the 911/912/930, etc. - as well as for the 914-6 & 914 /4s, same part for all models & years. Buy 2 since they're cheap & you'll have a back-up.

The clip will allow the AMCO knob's set-screw to engage - especially if it's stripped or worn down the teeth at the lever. Also check that it's the proper length set-screw, & replace that for a longer one if too short, broken off or worn at the end of the set-screw.

If you haven't done so yet - go to the Porsche website, Classic section, under its Documents subsection, & download your free pdf Porsche 914 PET parts manual, which has those types of diagrams, along with the parts numbers, sub-model & year application, etc. as needed to order.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
stickyfingers
This is amazing information and thank you for the prompt reply. I'll go and do that.
ClayPerrine
@scottthephotog has the rear bumper bar and the luggage rack, just like the pictures above.

His 914 is even yellow, just like the pictures.

Clay
Mikey914
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Feb 25 2021, 10:13 AM) *

Thanks guys. I want to do this right - this vehicle isn't going anyways and I plan on enjoying for a very long time - so I want to go as original as possible. I'll give that a ship and hopefully it isn't epoxied.

Good news is the epoxy has a hard time sticking to the chrome. You still may be able to tap it off.
stickyfingers
Going to try that now - will keep you posted.
Tom_T
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 25 2021, 10:11 AM) *

You have some weirdness going on there, and it took me a minute to figure out what was going on.

The knob is aftermarket I think. And when you pulled the knob off the shifter you actually pulled the knob apart. The base of the knob is still attached to the shifter lever. That is not part 2 in your diagram. Part 2 is likely wedged between the knob base and the shifter lever.

OR

The person glued the knob to the shifter lever when they installed that aftermarket center console.

ASSUMING ITS NOT GLUED: To remove the base, you need to tap under it with a hammer. I usually use an open ended wrench (15mm) to get more surface area around the base of the knob. Then smack it upwards with a hammer. Or with the knob broken as it is you could probably use a gear puller or a slide hammer to get it off.

If the PO was lazy and just epoxied the knob to the shaft you may be in a world of suck. Try the same thing as above and maybe the glue shears.

Under no circumstances do you want to be the next owners DAPO and glue the knob back on the shaft.

Zach

Yes it's the AMCO aftermarket knob, & yes it's the ribbed insert that goes into the base of the knob that is sitting on the top of the gear shift lever.

Remove the knob insert from the shaft - you may need to use a solvent appropriate to whatever glue that a DAPO used if it's glued to the shift lever (google for what solvent for what adhesive). Be careful to put some plastic &/or aluminum foil tight around the base of the shift knob with old rag or something to catch the solvent that may run down the shift lever, that could damage the center console plastic.

Then carefully re-glue the insert into the base of the knob itself - being careful NOT to get any inside of the shaft hole nor in the area around the set screw.

The check the set screw length & condition as above, replace if necessary, & use the crush sleeve if necessary to grab it - or if it's the version of the AMCO know without the set screw.

PS - You may want to check out these 914 resources by other members too -

p914.com (.net & .org too)

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

https://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
stickyfingers
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 25 2021, 01:34 PM) *

OR

Zach

Yes it's the AMCO aftermarket knob, & yes it's the ribbed insert that goes into the base of the knob that is sitting on the top of the gear shift lever.

Remove the knob insert from the shaft - you may need to use a solvent appropriate to whatever glue that a DAPO used if it's glued to the shift lever (google for what solvent for what adhesive). Be careful to put some plastic &/or aluminum foil tight around the base of the shift knob with old rag or something to catch the solvent that may run down the shift lever, that could damage the center console plastic.

Then carefully re-glue the insert into the base of the knob itself - being careful NOT to get any inside of the shaft hole nor in the area around the set screw.

The check the set screw length & condition as above, replace if necessary, & use the crush sleeve if necessary to grab it - or if it's the version of the AMCO know without the set screw.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom. Will give that a shot.
Jamie
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Feb 25 2021, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 25 2021, 01:34 PM) *

OR

Zach

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom. Will give that a shot.

If the insert is stuck on the shaft with something like epoxy, then heat from a heat gun is your solution rather than a solvent. poke.gif
stickyfingers
Cheers. Thx.
rhodyguy
Is that the Allen head set screw just visible in the knob base in the second picture? If not epoxied on, the base still on the lever should come off after removing the screw. Before you go hard core with epoxy, make sure the R/1st plate, lever wear, and the rest in the base housing are in top shape. Once you glue the knob on you can't get the lever out for service. Unless you cut the lever.
stickyfingers
Unfortunately the screw is there for show. It’s lose and doesn’t fit so it doesn’t do anything. I’ve removed it but can’t get the other piece off.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 25 2021, 01:27 PM) *

Is that the Allen head set screw just visible in the knob base in the second picture? If not epoxied on, the base still on the lever should come off after removing the screw. Before you go hard core with epoxy, make sure the R/1st plate, lever wear, and the rest in the base housing are in top shape. Once you glue the knob on you can't get the lever out for service. Unless you cut the lever.

To be clear - do NOT glue the knob on the gear shift lever shaft!

I said to remove the shift knob INSERT from the lever shaft - heat or solvent as appropriate - we don't know what adhesive was used if any Rhody poke.gif

And yes, try the set screw in the knob insert first to see if that lets it loose of the shaft.

It's entirely possible that someone just yanked the knob off & it came off at the insert. dry.gif

Jeesh! dead horse.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rhodyguy
Look for a replacement lever assembly?
Rick986
I know this is an old post but just saw that one of those original AMCO knobs sold for $195 on EBay. I've got one in my car now.

Following on this, does anybody know the difference between the OEM black knob and the many aftermarket replicas? Is the OEM knob sold by Porsche for $235+ that much different than the Dansk ones for $30+?
Bullethead
Seems like a lot for an AMCO knob. Anyway, I think it's weight. Original OEM knobs are made of Bakelite, the repops are made of plastic... I don't know if the new Porsche branded knobs are Bakelite or not.

If you have a stock original in decent shape but the top is crazed, buy the Dansk and replace the shift pattern.
Gint
The Dansk is a nice unit for $30. I put one in a 75 911S and it looked and functioned great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.