Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rotors and Pads for Boxster Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
The Double S
For the guys that have Boxster calipers, what brand rotors and pads are you running?

Is there a popular consensus for racing, street, and a mix of both? Are there brands that need to be avoided?
mgp4591
QUOTE(The Double S @ Feb 27 2021, 01:00 PM) *

For the guys that have Boxster calipers, what brand rotors and pads are you running?

Is there a popular consensus for racing, street, and a mix of both? Are there brands that need to be avoided?

Porterfield pads, Centrex rotors are what I'm running. Recommended by our resident brake guru...the pads. Maybe not the rotors so much but they were in my price point and they have good reviews. Rebel Racing caliper adapter kits come with the banjo bolts, new hardware, and braided lines. The 737 pads are for the front, 738s for the rear.
SirAndy
24mm Carrera vented rotors and Mintex pads
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=170890

NOTE: Some modifications are required for that setup!

driving.gif
roblav1
I run Brembo pads, same manufacturer ss the calipers.
Chris914n6
rotors- Zimmerman (Sebro) are OE German, or Brembo, or the Centric are popular with the performance crowd. 24mm front, 20mm rear.

Some people don't like drilled rotors, I do if they are done right (drilled thru the vents and not the braces). Slotted just shaves the pads down.

pads- many choices for different applications, just don't buy the cheap store brand. For street DD common are Brembo or Akebono. Keep in mind 914s are ~800 lbs lighter so the high temp pads are not a benefit.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 27 2021, 03:31 PM) *

Porterfield pads, Centrex rotors are what I'm running. Recommended by our resident brake guru...the pads. Maybe not the rotors so much but they were in my price point and they have good reviews. Rebel Racing caliper adapter kits come with the banjo bolts, new hardware, and braided lines. The 737 pads are for the front, 738s for the rear.

I loved these on my -4 race car are you getting any squeal with your boxster setup? Man whatever I’m running that the PO installed moans like a MF’er...
The Double S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 27 2021, 04:54 PM) *

24mm Carrera vented rotors and Mintex pads
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=170890

NOTE: Some modifications are required for that setup!

driving.gif

Thanks Andy. I have referenced your thread quite a few times. I appreciate the detail you went into.
The Double S

I've seen people mention this setup before. Seems like it is popular amongst guys geared toward racing. Adversely, how does it handle on the street?

Thank you for the part numbers also. Huge help.
slivel
Used to run Carrera rotors front and rear but now Carrera front and SC rear. Pagid black pads for racing. Now that I'm retired from racing and the car is street only I still have the Pagid blacks but they do squeal.
mgp4591
QUOTE(The Double S @ Feb 28 2021, 07:49 AM) *

I've seen people mention this setup before. Seems like it is popular amongst guys geared toward racing. Adversely, how does it handle on the street?

Thank you for the part numbers also. Huge help.

I'm basically going on the recommendations of others as my car is still on the lift. I'm only running the Boxster (non S) on the rear presently and running 944T calipers up front. It's what I had so I'm mixing the two and have made sure that the piston sizes front and rear were compatible with each other. The real guys in the know are running their cars in lots of different scenarios and have the experiences to back up their comments.
The Double S
Anyone else have a say? Especially for cars more directed toward a street setup?
mgp4591
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Feb 28 2021, 12:12 AM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 27 2021, 03:31 PM) *

I loved these on my -4 race car are you getting any squeal with your boxster setup? Man whatever I’m running that the PO installed moans like a MF’er...

I don't know yet because I'm still on the lift but I've installed backing material on the half of the pad that is the trailing edge. It contacts first and minimizes the vibration from the leading edge that usually causes brake noise. That, and the mild filing of the pad edges to make them flat, then a little Dow Corning 111 to the edges and pins for easy movement.
90quattrocoupe
I know this is not a Porsche, but I am running Boxster S/996 calipers on my Audi CQ. Personally I like CarboTech 1521 pads, for the street. I am running a 323/30 slotted Zimmerman rotors. For the track, I run CarboTech AX6s.
I have found the pads to be light on dust and easy on the rotors. After over 30 track days, plus the street, I have not worn down the rotors.

Greg W.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Mar 5 2021, 08:18 PM) *

I know this is not a Porsche, but I am running Boxster S/996 calipers on my Audi CQ. Personally I like CarboTech 1521 pads, for the street. I am running a 323/30 slotted Zimmerman rotors. For the track, I run CarboTech AX6s.
I have found the pads to be light on dust and easy on the rotors. After over 30 track days, plus the street, I have not worn down the rotors.

Greg W.

^ Good feedback. How is noise/squeal with the 1521 pads?
The Double S
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 5 2021, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Mar 5 2021, 08:18 PM) *

Greg W.

^ Good feedback. How is noise/squeal with the 1521 pads?

agree.gif On a street car especially that is a concern.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.