Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I am finally going to replace the windshield.
I am assuming that if I use the Rubber Replacement for Windshield Molding from 914 Rubber I only need the new windshield, the rubber replacement and butyl tape to complete the windshield installation, no need for clips or spacers, is this correct?

Thanks in advance
bdstone914
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 1 2021, 10:56 AM) *

I am assuming that if I use the Rubber Replacement for Windshield Molding from 914 Rubber I only need the new windshield, the rubber replacement and butyl tape to complete the windshield installation, no need for clips or spacers, is this correct?

Thanks in advance

You need a couple spacers at the bottom to center the windshield top to bottom.

They are nothing special. I use a couple pieces of paint stiring sticks which are about 4mm thick.

DavidSweden
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 1 2021, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 1 2021, 10:56 AM) *

Thanks in advance

You need a couple spacers at the bottom to center the windshield top to bottom.

They are nothing special. I use a couple pieces of paint stiring sticks which are about 4mm thick.

Thanks, just to be sure that I understand, do you mean that the spacers are placed under the bottom edge of the glass to get the correct position and then removed after the glass is in place?

Thanks in advance
914werke
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 1 2021, 09:34 AM) *
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 1 2021, 09:10 AM) *
You need a couple spacers at the bottom to center the windshield top to bottom. They are nothing special. I use a couple pieces of paint stiring sticks which are about 4mm thick.
just to be sure that I understand, do you mean that the spacers are placed under the bottom edge of the glass to get the correct position and then removed after the glass is in place?

No if you are using Buytl it should never really harden so on a hot summer day w/o the
support blocks, the wieght of the glass can allow it to sag to the bottom of the frame. Leave them in.
RARE 6
Spacers and clips are widely available and cheap. Got mine from Patrick Motorsports in Phoenix. Might was well do it right. Cheap enough insurance to make sure you're not later replacing that expensive windshield trim.
DavidSweden
Thanks for all the feedback.

Ok so I leave the spacers in place, this may be a stupid question but here goes- what keeps the spacers in position why don't they just fall off?

Thanks in advance
Robarabian
There are little holes behind the spacers. The new spacers "plug" into those holes. They stay in place by their own tension.
ndfrigi
chrome trim clips and windshield spacer pic for your idea.
available at 914rubber.com or pelicanparts and some other site. I did used 914rubber before on my previous 75.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DavidSweden
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
914werke
I just did one (windshield install) just before this WE.
I also used the Rubber ""clips" despite reading reports from other members that they had difficulty in they seemed prone to breaking.
I also found this to be the case. sad.gif
Customer service was great in that they provided replacements but Id like to find a better (more plyable/flexable) alternative.
I went that way because these things are pricy!
It looks like you can still get the OE ones at about x2 the price, but does anyone have any experience with these since a lot of the OE Porsche parts aren't the same quality as the OG.
914werke
BTW that spacer doesnt show dimensions but those look more like (identical to) the rubber spacers at the base of the rear window vs the OE windshield spacers I posted a pic of.
forrestkhaag
Am having my windshield and surrounding trim replaced under Hagerty zero deductible and Porsche dealer supplied glass and trim.

A tiny star chip went viral and triggers a full replacement. Done by Hagerty/Safelite Friday this week / and yes, clips and spacers are essential to achieve a factory level install. they have a giant suction cup arm that dorps the windshield in 1/16" increments on to the stickyt stuff and against the bottom anti-sag spacers.

As for a garage trick for placing the windshield against that brutal....rubber adhesive (MS on purpose)..... if the windshield "lands" on the adhesive or windscreen frame eschew, you too be e screwed......

That stuff is unforgiving and, like Apollo 13, leaves no room for error in the landing.

In your moon shot, I suggest using more BSSS and take your time.

By placing and taping flat, several Bruce Stone Stir Sticks around the upper and side perimeter, bring in the glass with a helper (who you have vetted and does not drink or smoke weed and who has no dizzying interest in your wife), then get it positioned before pulling the BSSS's one by one after your are fully on the bottom spacers.

beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 1 2021, 02:28 PM) *

I just did one (windshield install) just before this WE.
I also used the Rubber ""clips" despite reading reports from other members that they had difficulty in they seemed prone to breaking.
I also found this to be the case. sad.gif
Customer service was great in that they provided replacements but Id like to find a better (more plyable/flexable) alternative.
I went that way because these things are pricy!
It looks like you can still get the OE ones at about x2 the price, but does anyone have any experience with these since a lot of the OE Porsche parts aren't the same quality as the OG.

I have a bag of OE clips ready to go in IF I ever get the windshield I've had on order almost a year now (long story). I bought them after reading another thread about the repro clips prone to breaking and someone (can't remember who) said they had good luck with the OE clips.
mb911
I had a 70 914 that had metal molding clips.. I dont know why they stopped doing that.
jim_hoyland
Forrest: Does safelite sell replacement windshields for the 914; or, did they just do the installation ?
forrestkhaag
Safelite (in north Scottsdale) had to order the parts including the trim, three clips, and Porsche dealer to supply the glass. Goes in in two days / I will update.

Sidebar: Do I remember that you too have a Boxster?.... or is that the fog of age setting in........ ?

beerchug.gif
iankarr
Just a heads up that, in NY at least, Safelite won't install using butyl (as the factory did). They use urethane, which is much more rigid, per the law. There have been stories of people with urethane installations having cracked windshields since there's less give...
914werke
Same here in WA, not stories ... its happened to me
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Mar 2 2021, 09:29 AM) *

Safelite (in north Scottsdale) had to order the parts including the trim, three clips, and Porsche dealer to supply the glass. Goes in in two days / I will update.

Sidebar: Do I remember that you too have a Boxster?.... or is that the fog of age setting in........ ?

beerchug.gif

Yup Sold the white ‘98 to my neighbor and bought the red one from a PCA member who had taken meticulas care of the car. Really like driving it... smile.gif
DavidSweden
I have ordered my new windshield and was just checking some old install threads when I came across this posted by Mikey914

If you are using the rubber to replace the chrome you will need to use urethane to install. You will not need the windshield spacer block or clips. You will want someone with a steady hand to make the bead as without the extra 1/2" of metal to hide the bead you can see it so it must be pretty.

I am planning on using the 914 rubber around the windshield instead of the aluminium trim.
Can anyone confirm that urethane is the way to go?

Edit: here's the thread if anyone is interested:
DavidSweden
New windshield installed, now I can drive the car even when the sun is shining. I should have done it a long time ago.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Very nice. It's amazing what a difference a nice windshield makes when driving. beerchug.gif
bobboinski
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Apr 25 2021, 11:29 AM) *

New windshield installed, now I can drive the car even when the sun is shining. I should have done it a long time ago.

Click to view attachment

Looks like you decided on aluminum vs rubber trim, looks great!
bbrock
I'm jealous. I'm still waiting for the windshield I ordered now over a year ago. It's starting to look like that will be the only thing keeping me from driving my car sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.