Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975/1976 2.0L emissions control removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Meister
I am looking to buy a clean 1973 or 1974 2.0 and have been steering clear of the 1975-1976 2.0 versions. Although the bumpers appear to be not too difficult to retrofit, to 1973-1974 spec, I am wondering about the emissions controls. I would consider buying a 1975/76 model if I could get the same horsepower and performance as the 1973-1974 models. I suspect that there are design issues within the engine that are paired with the emissions equipment, and this is not as simple as removing the catalytic converter. The 75 model is now smog exempt in California where I live, and the 76 model will be exempt in less than a year. Any thoughts/advice/experience would be appreciated. Thanks.
abes914
I have a 75 with carbs and don’t have the emission parts installed in the car. I back dated the bumper and also the exhaust system. If you are planning to keep the original fuel injections, then I think that would be hard, but don’t keep my word on it. I planned to carb my car the time I bought it. It was also missing a lot of fi parts when I got it. More knowledgeable folks can tell you exactly which parts to remove if you go the 75-76 cars.

Are you sure 76 cars will be exempt soon?

Good luck with your search

Abe
abes914
Oh yeah...

welcome.png

drem914
QUOTE(abes914 @ Mar 5 2021, 07:53 PM) *

Oh yeah...

welcome.png

agree.gif

As long as you have a '75 or earlier you can have any engine you want in CA. Are they raising the exemption?

914Meister

I have a 75 with carbs and don’t have the emission parts installed in the car. I back dated the bumper and also the exhaust system. If you are planning to keep the original fuel injections, then I think that would be hard, but don’t keep my word on it. I planned to carb my car the time I bought it. It was also missing a lot of fi parts when I got it. More knowledgeable folks can tell you exactly which parts to remove if you go the 75-76 cars.

Are you sure 76 cars will be exempt soon?

Good luck with your search

Abe

Thanks for your response, Abe. I was thinking I might need to change the camshaft or do something besides change the fuel system from EFI to carbs. That's good to know what you have done. Clearly a new exhaust system and changes to EFI or a switch to carbs would be required. It's all stuff that would not need to be done if I could find a 73 or 74 that ticks all the boxes for me. By opening up to the possibility of a 75 or 76, I might find what I'm looking for faster.

As for the California smog requirements, you can read for yourself on the DMV web page. They are adding a newer year every 12 months. Right now, 1975 and older is smog exempt. By next year, 1976 will be added. Here is the link to the DMV page explaining the rules:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-regis...%2C000%20pounds.

Jon
914Meister

Oh yeah...

welcome.png

Thanks! I look forward to having a ride that qualifies me!
abes914
I would hold off on getting a 76 until it is completely smog exempt. I would also get a car that has less issue with the body (rust) and complete as possible since you are planning to replace the crankshaft and splitting the engine. If you get a running car, would be a plus and enjoy it before doing extended time in jack stand. I have a 1.7 with stock crankshaft and it works good enough for me. I would love to do a 2056 in the future.

Abe
Beach914
Ca is not raising the the exemption year to 1976. Exemptions still only to MY 1975 and older.
I read the link. I wish it were true!
Beach914
Delete
Bleyseng
Removing the smog pump is easy to do and upgrading to SSI heat exchangers and a Bursch or similar muffler gets you to the same HP as a 73-74 2.0 with Djet FI. Going to carbs without a cam change doesn’t improve HP.
Shivers
75' s are exempt and have been. If the body is good it's worth the work to back date if that is what you are looking for.
JeffBowlsby
Why hack and pretend a 75-76 car into something it will never be? If you really want a 73-74 then wait for it and accept nothing else. Or get the 75-76 and appreciate it for what it is. They are all great 914s. I find that the condition is more important than anything else, get the best condition one you can find regardless of anything else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.