Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RHD 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
23e Heure
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Mar 10 2021, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(23e Heure @ Mar 10 2021, 05:46 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Mar 10 2021, 10:03 AM) *

...not that anyone is ever going to do it ever again.

Don't be so sure, wonkipop! The guys at Terror Garage in Indonesia plan to convert this one to RHD! : 914 in West Java

ah, thats great.

might have to go see those guys after covid.
learned bahasa indonesia in high school - i could probably cut the rust out of my brain enough to be misunderstood.
wouldn't mind checking out the indo scene.

If you do go, time it to coincide with the Jogja VW Festival.

In theory the next one should be the end of this year... covid allowing!

Loads of cool pics on their FB site, and reading it is also an opportunity for you to brush up on your BI wink.gif

https://www.facebook.com/jogjavolkswagenfestival/

Here's the flyer from 2019:

IPB Image
23e Heure
PS: Ian: sorry for hijacking your thread!
9146-racer
No Worries James
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
9146-racer
Sorry guys, forgot to put a caption...... this is my 914/6 race car that I very successfully hillclimbed here in UK for many years.
cheers

Ian
9146-racer
how they look today...Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(9146-racer @ Mar 15 2021, 11:38 AM) *

Thanx Ian!

Is that "Drippool" a take off on Blackpool, Liverpool, or??

Also apologies for the hijack sidetrack on tyres etc., but maybe it will be helpful to you &/or someone else in the UK. smile.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
ClayPerrine
Question on the pedals....

Why didn't they just use the pedal box from a 1970 RHD 911? They were already setup correctly???

Clay
wonkipop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 15 2021, 02:14 PM) *

Question on the pedals....

Why didn't they just use the pedal box from a 1970 RHD 911? They were already setup correctly???

Clay

it does sound sensible to just use the 911 pedal cluster.

just my opinion, but ......porsche barely got it right with the pedals in the rhd 911s all the way through until the 964. (a lot of guys here wouldn't even accept their barely getting it right and did all sorts of mods to the pedals, particularly the clutch pedal to make it a little more comfortable doing that stretch to the clutch.)

same goes for vw aircooleds, bugs and type 3.

its ok driving the offset pedals in the LHD bugs, 911s and 914s. the clutch is almost straight in front and its natural to stretch your leg to the gas pedal as your not bending your knee, your rotating your ankle. the accelerator pedal ends up rotating in an arc over the side of the central tunnel.

the 914 is where it gets beyond marginally acceptable as its wider, or the seats are certainly wider apart on the centre line of the car. if you use a RHD pedal cluster you are really perched with everything angled across with everything very close together in the clutch/brake pedal department. i think the pedals in the 911 fit into a tighter footwell.
there is an RSR in the workshop here that the owner has, campaigned in the 70s in aus, i should take a photo of just how much those pedals got worked over to get them into an arrangement that was acceptable to the original race driver.

i haven't mentioned the gear lever. you just get used to it and so does the passenger.
Tom_T
Even the LHD 914 pedals are small & tightly together compared to other cars, & IIRC most all LHD VWs then were the same.

My 2 uncles were over 6'-5" (but didn't pass that along to me! dry.gif ) & they had size 14 & 14 XX wide shoes - & they both had trouble getting the set of 3 to work separately with their "big boats"!

So the crazy exercises to get a working RHD pedal cluster is no surprise to me!

That wonki (no pun intended) crazy angled brake pedal/slot is a crack-up! I mean really - how many biers/ales did that designer/engineer have first!? drunk.gif

Vaunted German Engineering did not shine for the RHD apparently. dry.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
wonkipop
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 15 2021, 02:42 PM) *

Even the LHD 914 pedals are small & tightly together compared to other cars, & IIRC most all LHD VWs then were the same.

My 2 uncles were over 6'-5" (but didn't pass that along to me! dry.gif ) & they had size 14 & 14 XX wide shoes - & they both had trouble getting the set of 3 to work separately with their "big boats"!

So the crazy exercises to get a working RHD pedal cluster is no surprise to me!

That wonki (no pun intended) crazy angled brake pedal/slot is a crack-up! I mean really - how many biers/ales did that designer/engineer have first!? drunk.gif

Vaunted German Engineering did not shine for the RHD apparently. dry.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

that was me behind the angled slot. smile.gif

were prohibited from cutting and welding the brake pedal by the approving engineer.
the way it worked back then was you hired an independent engineer who came and inspected the car as conversion work was done in stages. went into his report. the report had to be submitted to the registration authorities. it was not like a consulting design engineer arrangement, more like working with a policeman. ar15.gif come to think of it the registration authority was a branch of the police force more or less.

if you look at a picture of a rhd 911 cluster, the brake pedal does a small bend off the mounting axle to the right and then has a straight arm up to the pedal pad. its not far enough right to be comfortable in a 14. what crayfords did was cut and weld in a larger offset to the right. for some reason registration authorities were very touchy on cutting and welding the brake pedal arm here. even putting in a rhd 911 pedal arm would not have got the pedal into the crayfords spot. it happened to be one of those arguments you were not going to win with the approving engineer, he put his foot down and would not budge (pun not intended). after much negotiation beer.gif beer3.gif it was accepted that heating bending the arm was acceptable. (he even made a big note of it in his engineering report which i still have copy of announcing its safety etc and correct placement of pedal, blah blah for operation of the brake). thus the arm itself travels across on the diagonal. it works extremely well i can assure you. it sounds strange but the pedal pad is not moving to the right, it travels straight back in an arc. but because the lever arm has been worked across on an angle it has to cut through the pedal board along that line.

its completely german. smile.gif its functional. beerchug.gif form follows function. blink.gif

the other thing i have is a pedal board with carpet. the green crayfords car we copied either never had one, or it was lost along the way somewhere. the pedals were just sitting there with a little fold up of carpet to shield the metal pedal carrier itself. the whole idea of a slotted section of carpet seemed to have been avoided in that particular car, not sure if that was the case in it originally. not even sure if crayfords tailored cars and pedal arrangements to customers or just had a standardized approach. i guess all that history is next to impossible to uncover anymore.

believe me, having driven a bug in the usa and plenty here and having driven my 914 both lhd and rhd, the lhd versions are way more comfortable and natural by comparison.
big feet sizes and all. if you have short legs you are in real trouble blink.gif . one of the great problems in my old squareback used to be foot slipping off clutch pedal sideways.
often when you see an old one still around that pedal pad is worn out savagely on the centreline side of the car or the opposite side - pointing to the awkwardness of getting your foot square on it. i must have renewed that pad at least once every two years.
---and there is nowhere to rest your clutch foot. so you have to be be careful to not rest it on the pedal. i usually rotate my heel so i can rest the side of my foot against the bin console and keep it away from the pedal. i can still remember driving it lhd with my foot against the carpeted wheel well. natural place to rest your foot.

think the germans thought corrective leg surgery was a better functional approach to the problem of stubborn rhd countries than sorting out their footwells?

cars after the 964 just don't have the problem because they don't have the arcing organ pedal accelerator on an angle? what porsche should have done back then was have a not kept to their design of the lhd accelerator pedal on the right?
wonkipop
QUOTE(9146-racer @ Mar 15 2021, 01:48 PM) *

Sorry guys, forgot to put a caption...... this is my 914/6 race car that I very successfully hillclimbed here in UK for many years.
cheers

Ian

yes apologies old chap for - i don't know if the thread has been hijacked, so much as just gone off on a right "wing" tangent, but its not off subject.

i see your six is all set up for original style steering. very nice.

i love your crayfords car, its a ripper.
and god knows what its worth.
but i would say a fair bit.
Tom_T
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Mar 15 2021, 12:54 PM) *

think the germans thought corrective leg surgery was a better functional approach to the problem of stubborn rhd countries than sorting out their footwells?

lol-2.gif
Maltese Falcon
Right Hand Steering !

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
worth what a similar condition 914 is worth but only in england or australia

QUOTE(9146-racer @ Mar 6 2021, 08:55 AM) *

Hi, I haven't been on here for ages, sorry to have missed you all.
I have just been reading an article on the RHD Crayford cars and really would appreciate a value for one.
My car is a 1969 Crayford, in fact I understand it to be the first one ever.

I've owned it for about 30 years and now am considering parting with it, but what's it worth?

euro911
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 6 2021, 03:15 PM) *
There are {were ?) two RHDS IN Singapore. This orange one belonged to Meng Fong; he subsequently passed away and the car was sold.
The second 914 is yellow, owner not know to me. I have a pic of both together

IPB Image

Related to Carl LaFong? laugh.gif

Rest in Peace, Meng sad2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.