Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheel wobble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rd914
Is there is a sleeve that secures it in place? I took it apart last week to replace an ignition switch and did not see any. Pics would be appreciated. Thanks.
By the way, car is a 76 2.0.
olav
I just replaced my steering wheel and noticed that if I didn't include a little collar and spring part that fits into the spline shaft area with the spring out the steering wheel wobbled.

Sorry, don't have pics.

You might have that piece missing or backwards.
nebreitling
if you're talking about an verticle wobble, then yes, there is a bushing that wears out (it's plastic!) somewhere down in there. kind of a pita, iirc.
MarkG
My '76 also had steering wheel wobble; bought the sleeve 'quick fix' but when I removed the hub, the steering column bearing was fine so..........

Remove knee pad and check two allen head screws that hold column to the body...mine were loose. Tighten'd them up and now no wobble!
URY914
Pelican sells a sleeve (I think it is a 928 part actully) that fits around the shaft and slides between the shaft and the larger bearing/bushing. I had to do on mine. I got a picture at home on my PC. The sleeve is split to get it over the splines of the shaft.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.