Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bluetooth while maintaining the look
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stickyfingers
Hi everyone.

So thanks for everyone with their feedback on whether a PCCM or a Retro radio with BT would be the way to go in my 914. Clearly the PCCM is way too expensive and being in Canada getting one of those Retro Radios that maintain the period look are still very expensive.

So I recall someone saying they installed a small BT amp which is the direction I went towards. I am able to use my radio and pipe music through Bluetooth to my car speakers (OEM). I will never use the radio because there is a lot of static on any FM channels so I wanted to get music playing from my phone. Hope this helps others that maybe looking to do something similar.

I purchased these 2 items:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B074FR4B7H...=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071YH69GJ...=UTF8&psc=1

which powers the amp. Mounted the amp behind the radio with double sided tape and voila - beautiful sound from my phone.

For $35CDN it's very cost effective.
76-914
I like it. Smart, small and inexpensive! beerchug.gif
pt_700
could you elaborate a bit for the clueless (like me)?

i gather there are connections for the speakers on the amp. to get started, do you power it up and somehow link your phone and the amp via bluetooth?

have a pic of the installation?
Tom_T
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 12 2021, 08:12 AM) *

Hi everyone.

So thanks for everyone with their feedback on whether a PCCM or a Retro radio with BT would be the way to go in my 914. Clearly the PCCM is way too expensive and being in Canada getting one of those Retro Radios that maintain the period look are still very expensive.

So I recall someone saying they installed a small BT amp which is the direction I went towards. I am able to use my radio and pipe music through Bluetooth to my car speakers (OEM). I will never use the radio because there is a lot of static on any FM channels so I wanted to get music playing from my phone. Hope this helps others that maybe looking to do something similar.

and

which powers the amp. Mounted the amp behind the radio with double sided tape and voila - beautiful sound from my phone.

For others looking for classic look or hidden radio/audio upgrades -

Woody's Customs in Costa Mesa CA has offered a range of radio upgrade solutions for Porsches & other classic cars, and have been regulars at the big LA/Orange County March Porsche Swap Meet for years.

Theirs are proven solution which are fully hidden without the cigarette lighter plug-in.

They also have some small flat square pod speakers that allow 914s & 356, 911/912/930 etc. to go to full 4 speakers without cutting up door panels etc. They mount under or behind the rear seats.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hidden-Under-Seat-...MQAAOSwNyFWculO

They also sell modern retro look radios.

https://www.woodyscustomshop.com/

https://www.ebay.com/str/woodyscustomshop

Folks out of the SoCal area can buy on their evil-bay store linked above.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

stickyfingers
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Mar 12 2021, 02:18 PM) *

could you elaborate a bit for the clueless (like me)?

i gather there are connections for the speakers on the amp. to get started, do you power it up and somehow link your phone and the amp via bluetooth?

have a pic of the installation?

It was actually very simple. The amp ($25 CDN) has 2 screw downs pins for power which I took using the cigarette lighter adapter ($10 CDN on Amazon as per my links). I cut the + and - wire from the lighter adapter so I could screw in the wires to power the amp. The amp can be powered using 6v upto 47v so thankfully it can handle low and high voltages in case. The amp is left and right speaker screw downs. I spliced the left and the right speaker wires into the amp. Voila. Then use your bluetooth settings and connect to the amp when the key is on. Beautiful sounds from your speakers. See image below for a better look at it: Click to view attachment

It also has auxiliary 3.5mm input as well if you want to hook an ipod or another phone rather than bluetooth. This is intelligent enough to decide between BT and 3.5mm inputs. And the connection is immediate. You can also pause and skip songs and change the volume from the board. I just use my phone and hide the amp. I was thinking about hooking up buttons and wiring them but it's not necessary because I wanted to maintain the original look of the interior and not start drilling holes for buttons.

Caveat: I left my stereo in there but I never use it so I actually just remove the speaker wires from it but left them there for easy connection if I ever need to sell the car the new owner wants the radio to play sound through the speakers. The radio powers up. I just don't see a need to connect it. But you could build a Y connected for the speaker wires to go to both the amp and the radio.

I've stuck the amp (it's very small) with 2 sided tape so it's a little challenging to remove and put back but if you really want me to do it I will. lmk otherwise the instructions above are very straight forward.

For the adventurous they can take the power from the radio or another source to power the amp. I just found that I wanted to control the source of the power in case of troubleshooting and the cigarette lighter adapter was a great option for me.

Thanks and lmk if you need further info. For $35 it's a great option.
913B
That is cool.

Is there a device to switch between the Bluetooth input or the input of my regular radio to the speakers

It would be nice to have normal radio or say push a button and have it go to BT.

Any audio experts know if I can just rig a relay(s) and have it switch that way or would that cause problems.

biggrin.gif
stickyfingers
QUOTE(913B @ Mar 13 2021, 06:43 PM) *

That is cool.

Is there a device to switch between the Bluetooth output or the output of regular radio.

It would be nice to have normal radio or say push a button and have it go to BT.

Any audio experts know if I can just rig a relay(s) and have it switch that way or would that cause problems.

biggrin.gif

I'm going to spend some time on this tomorrow and see if I can wire it so both can work simultaneously. I had it going on 1 side but for whatever reason it would mess up when hooking up the other speaker. I gave up but I'll get it going and provide some feedback. I had it going where both BT and radio were on at the same time. The reason I removed the speakers from the radio path was because my radio was getting a lot of static. This way I can just get a radio app to play the radio. But to each their own.
913B
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 13 2021, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(913B @ Mar 13 2021, 06:43 PM) *

That is cool.

Is there a device to switch between the Bluetooth output or the output of regular radio.

biggrin.gif

I'm going to spend some time on this tomorrow and see if I can wire it so both can work simultaneously. I had it going on 1 side but for whatever reason it would mess up when hooking up the other speaker. I gave up but I'll get it going and provide some feedback. I had it going where both BT and radio were on at the same time. The reason I removed the speakers from the radio path was because my radio was getting a lot of static. This way I can just get a radio app to play the radio. But to each their own.

Oh yeah huh why not just leave the BT and radio connected to the speakers.
I don't plan on using both at the same time or have a switch to power on/off the BT module to turn it off and eliminate it completely.

Thanks for your idea!

stickyfingers
I have to figure out the speaker wires coming from the radio. The minute I connect the radio leads to the speakers while connected to the amp it kills audio coming from the amp (BT audio stops - clicks).

Have to sort that out still.
moldygreg
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 12 2021, 08:12 AM) *

Hi everyone.

and

Thank you! This is awesome. Was looking at buying a much more expensive set-up!
stickyfingers
No worries. It shouldn’t take you more than 30 mins to hookup except my shoulders and back are crushed now trying to get behind the radio etc. lol.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 13 2021, 08:43 PM) *

No worries. It shouldn’t take you more than 30 mins to hookup except my shoulders and back are crushed now trying to get behind the radio etc. lol.

Thanks for sharing your solution to the radio challenge. I also want to keep the OG look, but I want the convenience and capabilities of modern technology. Thus, I'm considering your setup. Are you doing all of this work under your dash or from the front trunk?
stickyfingers
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Mar 13 2021, 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 13 2021, 08:43 PM) *

Thanks for sharing your solution to the radio challenge. I also want to keep the OG look, but I want the convenience and capabilities of modern technology. Thus, I'm considering your setup. Are you doing all of this work under your dash or from the front trunk?

Everything under the dash.

Step 1: cut the wires going to the speakers from the Radio (leave enough wire from the radio in case you want to reconnect them back.

Step 2: I used additional speaker wire (about a ft for each speaker - L/R) to extend to my amp.

Step 3: Use the lighter adapter and cut the ends as I didn’t need those. Strip the ends of the +/- (Red and Black) wire. Stick Red in Positive and Black in Negative. The amp does have polarity protection in case you put the incorrectly. The lighter adapter also has a fuse inside for protection. Thankfully the kit comes with a spare fuse as I accidentally blew one.

Step 4: Put your amp in a conspicuous place using double sided tape or whatever you prefer.

Step 5: Find the amp via Bluetooth on your phone. Enjoy music.

The connection is very fast. Much faster than my other new cars. It connects instantly to my phone. Very surprised.

Good luck. Lmk if anyone had questions.
pt_700
thanks for elaborating, now i get it!
Mitox
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 13 2021, 08:40 PM) *

I have to figure out the speaker wires coming from the radio. The minute I connect the radio leads to the speakers while connected to the amp it kills audio coming from the amp (BT audio stops - clicks).

Have to sort that out still.

You should never have speakers connected to two sources without a switch that fully disconnects from one source and connects to the other source. If connected at the same time, as would be the case with a “Y” connection, you will eventually or immediately let the smoke out of your electronics ( non-technical explanation).
stickyfingers
Definitely. Switch will be necessary. You can also use the 3.5mm jack and wire it into the amp. When sound is detected on the 3.5mm switch it turns off Bluetooth. That’s why I chose this amp.
914e
Somehow handsfree works through this?
stickyfingers
QUOTE(914e @ Mar 14 2021, 11:07 AM) *

Somehow handsfree works through this?

It does not. The amp doesn't have a mic input. There are amps you can probably buy if you want a clip mic attached to your visor or something. For the time being I'll just use my BT headphones for any cals.
Jett
Cool solution!

We wanted to use BT but also the radio, so for each of our Blapunk’s a fellow name Matthias from Oldtimer-radio builds them. They use high quality parts and connects to the back DIN. With shipping from Germany these are about $110 USD, but click in the back of the stereo, connect BT, and go. No AMP though!

Related discussion.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...w=&st=&
stickyfingers
QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 14 2021, 11:47 AM) *

Cool solution!

We wanted to use BT but also the radio, so for each of our Blapunk’s a fellow name Matthias from Oldtimer-radio builds them. They use high quality parts and connects to the back DIN. With shipping from Germany these are about $110 USD, but click in the back of the stereo, connect BT, and go. No AMP though!

nice - Did you have to ship him the radio?
Montreal914
QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 14 2021, 09:47 AM) *

Cool solution!

Related discussion.

Very nice! Any of these DIN plugs in the back of the Original Blaupunkt for signal output to connect to an amp?
moldygreg
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 14 2021, 12:05 PM) *

Cool solution!

Related discussion.

Very nice! Any of these DIN plugs in the back of the Original Blaupunkt for signal output to connect to an amp?

Just got mine today. Will fit in an altoid tin -- pretty slick.

Click to view attachment
stickyfingers
QUOTE(moldygreg @ Mar 15 2021, 12:46 PM) *

Cool solution!

Related discussion.

Click to view attachment

Nice. Enjoy.
moldygreg
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 15 2021, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(moldygreg @ Mar 15 2021, 12:46 PM) *

Cool solution!

Related discussion.

Click to view attachment

Nice. Enjoy.

Bench tested. Fired right up. Zero bluetooth connection finickiness.
Much better than an 'aux' plug Woody hidden radio I am replacing it with.

Two thumbs up! piratenanner.gif
stickyfingers
Glad to hear. It’s crazy how quickly it connects.
914forme
To connect both radio and amp, you can place a zener diode on each circuit this will block the back feed of power through the circuits, and keep the magic smoke in the components.

Just takes 4 of them one on each 12V Positive leg, I guess I could diagram it out, but it is not hard just need to remember which way the stripe goes. It should work. Or you can use a switch and a relay, to pick the source you want. It will require 2 relays.

Click to view attachment

Im going to try one of these in my Boxster build

Rotary'14
I got rid of stock radio, and mounted this on the blank cover. All you see is the volume/power knob.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Audio-Recei...207&sr=1-12

Pretty close to your system.

-Robert
stickyfingers
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Mar 15 2021, 04:55 PM) *

I got rid of stock radio, and mounted this on the blank cover. All you see is the volume/power knob.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Audio-Recei...207&sr=1-12

Pretty close to your system.

-Robert

Nice. That works. I wanted to maintain the classic look with the original radio.
bkrantz
Not quite the same, but I am thinking about using this (with no visible radio).

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CMS20/Clarion-CMS20.html
moldygreg
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 15 2021, 07:35 PM) *

Not quite the same, but I am thinking about using this (with no visible radio).

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CMS20/Clarion-CMS20.html

Yes. Was looking at Out Of Sight Audio as well.

For $20 bucks, I find it just this solution to good to pass up. Actually sounds better than the Woody's hidden radio I have.

Really impressed how easily it connected to bluetooth.

FWIW, I have the Porsche Classic Radio / Navigation in my 911sc. And it's slow to connect to bluetooth.

If I could've found a blaupunkt monterrey, I would've used this sytem in that car.
stickyfingers
To be honest you’d never look at the unit. I got my phone mounted in the 3D printer ashtray with a MagSafe so I get my waze directions over Bluetooth and sweet music. And as moldygreg mentioned for $20 it’s worth the effort to install over other more pricier options. I’m going to upgrade my speakers next to get some more fuller sound. The speakers I have in there are not the best but very functional. I’d like to blast the music a little louder with top off. Lol.
Montreal914
@Jett
My question in post #21 got lost in all of the enthusiasm of this blue tooth option. smile.gif If you get a chance to read it and comment, I would appreciate. beerchug.gif
Jett

Cool solution!

Related discussion.

I connected the BT unit via DIN, no AMP. When there is no BT connection the radio plays as normal, but when the iPhone is connected it changes source. I play music from Alexa smile.gif

This retains the stock radio functionality but adds an additional music source.
stickyfingers
Just wanted to provide an update. I have moved on to a different amp altogether - still a cheap alternative so that I can add a powered sub.

I have tested this on the bench outside the car and the sound is amazing. The sub is a little big at 6x9 inches but I think I can mount it behind the existing radio (next to the gas pedal - eek). Car is in the shop for another couple of days so when I get it back I'll get it mounted and send some updates. The sub is really impressive at a low cost.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07VRJ5WNH...=UTF8&psc=1

This is the new amp:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DB52812...=UTF8&psc=1
CoronaMike
Here's MY bluetooth solution.

Click to view attachment

It's plenty loud, has great bass, only needs to be charged once a month or so, and is easy to take out if needed. biggrin.gif aktion035.gif
stickyfingers
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Mar 25 2021, 03:10 PM) *

Here's MY bluetooth solution.

Click to view attachment

It's plenty loud, has great bass, only needs to be charged once a month or so, and is easy to take out if needed. biggrin.gif aktion035.gif

I had a bose bluetooth speaker - was pretty good but wanted to go with the semi-traditional approach. I had to charge it every few days. Got annoying for me but nevertheless any approach is a good approach as long as it works for you.
Jett
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 14 2021, 09:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 14 2021, 11:47 AM) *

Cool solution!

nice - Did you have to ship him the radio?

No, I just told him what I have. That said, he does restore all of our radios smile.gif
Rotary'14
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 15 2021, 07:08 PM) *

@Jett
My question in post #21 got lost in all of the enthusiasm of this blue tooth option. smile.gif If you get a chance to read it and comment, I would appreciate. beerchug.gif

You can use one of these and input your stock radio into bluetooth amp's input plug.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-BOSS-Audio...la-440197526529

But not sure if this answers your question,,,
stickyfingers
Is that needed only if there is noise on the line?
Rotary'14
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 25 2021, 12:08 PM) *

The device I listed converts the speaker output, to RCA level output, I doubt it filters noise in your signal, but it prevents the aux input circuit on BT amp from getting too much voltage, if I remember correctly it's 0-5v for RCA level inputs.
stickyfingers
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Mar 25 2021, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 25 2021, 12:08 PM) *

The device I listed converts the speaker output, to RCA level output, I doubt it filters noise in your signal, but it prevents the aux input circuit on BT amp from getting too much voltage, if I remember correctly it's 0-5v for RCA level inputs.

I see - thanks for that.
wattele
Hi I installed the same device.
Amazon order, instal, works great.
Thanks for the idea.

Willy
stickyfingers
QUOTE(wattele @ Apr 5 2021, 02:28 PM) *

Hi I installed the same device.
Amazon order, instal, works great.
Thanks for the idea.

Willy

Nice - I just upgraded as per my previous note and added sub - it sounds great now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.