Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoke from below dizzy. (Pertronix)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaredmcginness
Hey guys, me again.

I dropped the motor yesterday, to pull the transmission.

Put it back in today, turn key to first position, and I have (red) smoke coming from underneath the dizzy. (009 Petroniix) horrible smell.

To be clear, All I unplugged was the 3 starter wires, 12pin and alt 3pin cable from the relay box.

Not much to mess up here! Yet here I am! I’m carbed and my wiring is about as simple as it goes.

I did find a short between the blower motor wires, repaired that.
(Maybe they got caught in the tin while lowering? Same issue.
Is it possible that once shorted initially the 009 is just toast?

Thanks!
Spoke
Pertronix inductive points are quite robust unless you let the smoke out. Not sure what happened to your install but there isn't much wiring/electronics in the carbed dizzy. What did the module look like when you popped the distributor cap?
ejm
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Mar 13 2021, 07:10 PM) *

To be clear, All I unplugged was the 3 starter wires, 12pin and alt 3pin cable from the relay box.

Very easy to mis-index the 12 pin connector by one pin which put +12v into the tach wire.
jaredmcginness
Spoke, I’ll have to check inside the dizzy. I only had the ignition turned enough to step out and see the smoke. Wasn’t but a few seconds.

I’ll verify the 12 pin indexing, I try to take good care that nothing will come loose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.