Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 engine mount mishmash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning and thanks for the help yesterday on the oil tank lines.

Can I ask for some help in figuring out what I’ve got going on here. This looks to me like an early design/replica of the factory 914/6 amount but it does not want to work with the work mount that actually bolts on to the engine.

When I did a test fit they don’t bolt up properly and the black engine side mount won’t fit vertically and is forced to be offset/angled which isn’t right of course.

So either the grey mount is off, the black mount is the wrong one, or these aren’t compatible. I’m not experienced enough to spot the issue, my hunch is the grey mount is OK and the black engine side is incorrect but that is a guess.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
That definately is not the 914/6 OEM factory style mount.

Others will chime in. Isn't that an old style Rich Johnson mount (body side)?

MadDog makes something similar and the engine side sort of looks like his. However his body side is quite different.

If it's not lining up, I'm inclined to agree you have some sort of mismatch maybe between body side and engine side.

As I look a the picture more, part of the engine side mount looks OEM stamped. It takes some serious tooling to deep draw thick metal like that.

Usually the aftermarket engine side fabrications are plate metal welded, not stamped (incduding MadDog). Then on the other side, I see welds that I don't believe are OEM and maybe a couple little stiffening gussets that don't look OEM. Could someone have taken a 911 side mount and have modified it to try to work with the body side and/or maybe a slightly different body side mount? Just guessing.
930cabman
Have you contacted the manufacturer?

We recently went with the OEM style mount from Mad Dog, worked like a charm and Dave is great to work with, he understands customer service.
sixnotfour
blk mount hangs below on the grey
Superhawk996
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 14 2021, 10:43 AM) *

blk mount hangs below on the grey

laugh.gif pray.gif And then there is that. I was so focused on detail I didn't see that! rolleyes.gif
Tdskip
Oof! So I have it upside down in the first picture then.
9146GUY
The grey mounts welds to the firewall. The black mount is a front engine mount that attaches on the bottom of the grey mount. These were made some years ago.
Hope that helps
Tdskip
OK - right side up this time. Grin.

I circled in red where I still have a fit problem. Do I just need to trim the grey weld-on mount there to allow clearance?

Wondering if the black engine side mount might be for a later 911 that has different dimensions? Seems odd it doesn’t just fit.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
It's like the RJ copy I made, the engine mount is OE 911 cut off and modified. The fit issue can be fixed with a grinder.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 14 2021, 12:14 PM) *

It's like the RJ copy I made, the engine mount is OE 911 cut off and modified. The fit issue can be fixed with a grinder.

OK – so true it back so it fits cleanly and has some clearance to move/vibrate without hitting anything.

Thank you.
Mark Henry
That's an old style mount, you have to remove the wiring from the tail lights back to the crack pipe to feed the harness through the mount. You could mod the body mount section, weld in a channel, so you don't have to do this.
I have another one here with this mod, I'll try to take a pic later today.
Tdskip
That would be great, thank you.

Can she just cut off the section and read without unduly weakening the mount?

Click to view attachment
bretth
Doesn't the rubber mounts go through from the top instead of hanging underneath like your last pics? Wouldn't that correct the clearance issue?

Brett
mepstein
Picture from Rich
Tdskip
OK - updated.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
rubber mount upside down
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 14 2021, 07:26 PM) *

rubber mount upside down

Yep.
Keep trying.
You'll get it.
biggrin.gif
Tdskip
8th times a charm!

I am such a dolt.
rgalla9146
Cup washer on top faces up.
Retroracer
Yup, you're working through every combination! The sport mounts have the large plate at the top and hang down.

This is very similar to my set up which was sourced from Maddog; its a little different, the "weld on" part has channeling to deal with the loom entry. Now you've go the mounting figured out, you need to work out what exact height to weld it in to the bulkhead.... The best way (IMHO) is to bolt up the dressed engine, tranny to the rear mounts, while supporting the engine at the front, then adjust incrementally to ensure that the engine tin sits parallel to the body skirt, plus all the shift linkage clears the engine. Then mark the ideal bracket height....

So that's the preferred method. I didn't have all the parts when I did it, so ended up close, but not perfect. I had to shim the sports mounts a little to get it where I wanted, so there is some room for adjustment post-welding. Make sure you hit the car centerline though...!

- Tony
930cabman
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 14 2021, 07:24 PM) *

8th times a charm!

I am such a dolt.

I would bet many of us are in the same boat, btw we are still people
maddog
looks like the style of bulkhead mount that AA sells?

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Bulkhea...PN-RMIS200.html
mepstein
I've never made a mistake.

av-943.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 15 2021, 11:26 AM) *

I've never made a mistake.

av-943.gif

You thought you did one time, but you were wrong.

poke.gif
SirAndy
IPB Image

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.