Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hell Hole Assessment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
The next few posts provide some pics of the "hell hole" of a recent parts car acquisition. Can you guys take a look and let me know if this is salvagable, or where I should take a closer look? It does not appear to be too bad, but I am not sure I am looking at the right locations?
vesnyder
From the outside ...
vesnyder
Another from the outside ...
vesnyder
From the engine compartment ...
r_towle
yup, its salvagable.

Rich
Elliot_Cannon
You gotta make them pictures a little smaller. The hell hole is usually considered to be the area just under the battery, on top of the long. forward right corner of the engine compartment.
Cheers, Elliot
Andyrew
Remove everything, take a wire wheel and take everything down to bare metal.

That will show you what all needs to be replaced.

Looks very salvagable.

tat2dphreak
yep, not that bad at all, really...

use engman's kit in the engine bay, a battery tray from your favorite vendor, and the rest can be sheet metal from anywhere(Lowes, Home Depot, wherever)
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 19 2005, 03:03 PM)
use engman's kit in the engine bay,

Speaking of whom, have I have been trying to get in touch with him about getting some inner long reinforcements. I haven't heard back from him, is he hiding or just busy? Anyone know? confused24.gif
tdgray
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 19 2005, 04:03 PM)
yep, not that bad at all, really...

use engman's kit in the engine bay, a battery tray from your favorite vendor, and the rest can be sheet metal from anywhere(Lowes, Home Depot, wherever)

agree.gif

I wish mine was half that good.

Parts are plentiful... for this section.

Go to it Man welder.gif
lapuwali
I think Engman is on vacation right now, so you'll need to wait a week or so.

Try to poke a screwdriver into the long behind that jack post. The jack post support can be had from Resto Design, et al. Similarly, get those leaves and whatnot out of the hell hole and try the screwdriver test there. If it's solid, you're golden. The interior floors look pretty good. Better than some CA parts cars I've seen.

URY914
OMG!
You can't fix that mess, give it to me.
I'll take care of it for you. cool_shades.gif

Really, thats not bad at all. biggrin.gif

Paul
vesnyder
Thanks for the input guys! The floors are in exceptional shape which really made me think the rest was salvagable. I guess it was "Ziebarted" when new, which may have saved it? The interior was in good shape, which is why I bought it, but the mechanicals need a complete overhaul.

CptTripps - you out there? What do you think?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.