Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Por-15 Question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grimstead
Hello all, wavey.gif

Well I have got my welding done and it is time to Por-15 the engine compartment & floorboards. smilie_pokal.gif

My question is how do I need to buy to get the job done and are there any good deals out there? confused24.gif The few places I've looked all seam to be around the same price.

Also, can I use Por-15 on engine tin, or will it get too hot for that? idea.gif

Thanks! beer.gif

PS, I tried to do a search on 'Por 15' but the server keeps crapping out with all of the hits... sad.gif
lapuwali
The "starter kit" that POR-15 sells with a six-pack of small tins is plenty to do a whole car. You want the small tins, as once you open one, you pretty much have to use it. You'll easily be able to do the entire floor, both sides, with one tin. You could probably do the whole engine bay with that same tin, in fact. It goes a long way.

Buy some Metal-Ready from them, too.

Wear good gloves.
jr91472
My biggest complaint about that stuff is that it is hard to keep once opened. I would think that a gallon would be waaaayyy too much. And a little seems to go a long way. Maybe a quart.

I did my floor boards last summer. I bought the 6 pack of 1/2 pints...(i think those are half pints). I still have a couple left.

the main thing is getting everything ready and do it all at once, so you don't have to open and re-seal anything.

don't know about the engine tin. confused24.gif

good luck
zymurgist
If you clean out the edge of the can and use Saran Wrap between the can and the lid, you can get the stuff open after re-sealing. I bought a quart about 3 years ago and used 1/2 of it on the Corvette (drive shaft, etc.). Opened it this year and apart from the fact that there was about 1/4 inch hard crust on the top, the liquid beneath was still usable. Painted as much of Babydoll's rust as we could reach with it.
vesnyder
I also heard keeping it in the fridge keeps it fresh - that is where mine is?
zymurgist
Just don't dip your tortilla chips in it, m'kay? wink.gif

(seriously: I've been known to keep AAA batteries in the fridge)
Joe Bob
DUDE.....I got a shitlaod of POR 15 in the garage in unopened cans.....PM me.
Katmanken
Z- Do the cans in the garage rattle? happy11.gif

I use a nail to punch 2 holes in the lid. I pour out what is needed, wipe the lid clean and use duct tape to seal the holes.

Been nursing one can for years.

Ken
Joe Bob
Bite me.... dry.gif

They are about a year old and are still liquid....
SpecialK
Okay, ya'll (Aarod) laughed when I brought this up last time, but to keep the 1/2 pints fresh for a looooong time, use a #18 cap-plug.......they seat down into the can, burp like tupperware, reducing the amount of air (moisture) in the can, and the POR won't stick to them, making them easy to remove and reuse.

"But Kev, where the "F" do I get a cap-plug?"

PM me your address, and I'll send you a couple.

[graduated with honor's from the "Sir Andy School of Photograghy"] rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
Katmanken
Thanks Z!

Its been a really shitty day and that made me laugh!

Ken
Dead Air
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jul 19 2005, 02:55 PM)
DUDE.....I got a shitlaod of POR 15 in the garage in unopened cans.....PM me.

[QUOTE]

You found my gonads! Look, See!
Joe Bob
Now...if I can only figure how to make my brown eyes blue.....?

I'll keep an eye out for ya.... cool_shades.gif
Randal
If you use Por-15 be sure to clean all the strippers and/or whatever you used for prep. totally off the surface.

I actually used brake cleaner, then Por-15 cleaner before applying the 15.

What happened was that there must have been some residue brake cleaner (or something) as the Por-15 can ended up having some sort of solvent (or whatever) in it.

So put your Por-15 into a smaller can when you start painting, so that if this happens you don't destroy the whole pint.

Oh, the guys at Por-15 HQ told me that brake cleaner will effect the surface, so I'm not sure whether the engine tin would be a good idea.

I had mine powder coated which didn't cost much more than the Por-15 kit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.