Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stickyfingers
Good afternoon.

So I wanted to tackle the horn today. The horn is in great shape (located by the driver side fog light). Traced the wiring back to the fuse panel and proper relay is there and working. All fuses are tested and good. Couldn't figure out why the horn wasn't working.

I followed the instructions on this site to remove the middle yolk (the horn button) and saw that the horn wire is sitting there with electrical tape.

Click to view attachment

Looked at the horn button and see this:

Click to view attachment

There is no connection to the horn button. Just wondering if someone maybe able to point out if there is any way to get this working on my wheel?

Thank you!
ClayPerrine
There is a little flat tab on the back of the horn butterfly. In your picture, it has been bent up and is pointing at the camera. That is a male spade connector. The end of the wire in your steering wheel should have a female spade connector on it.

Just hook the two together. If the connector is missing, you can get some crimp on ones at FLAPS that are the correct size. Just pull the plastic off the outside of the connector and solder it to the wire. Then put some heat shrink over it. The plastic insulation is too big for the connection on the horn.

Good luck.

Clay
FlacaProductions
Click to view attachment

connect that brown wire to this tab.
report back.
stickyfingers
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 16 2021, 01:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment

report back.

Connected to it and no joy. Nothing happens. the wiper relay is good (I understand that is the same relay that is for the horn) - wipers work great. If I connect the brown wire (since it's ground) to a metal component on the steering wheel should it not sound the horn?
FlacaProductions
that section of the horn butterfly is actually insulated from the rest of the wheel by plastic spacers/insulators on the screws under the black rubber piece. it's grounded when you press the butterfly. i suspect something else's up given that the PO taped it off as if it were constantly sounding.

if you pull that rubber piece straight out (its just friction fit) and put the butterfly back on - see if the horn works then - otherwise, start grounding the brown wire elsewhere and see if it activates the horns. maybe an extension piece to get it to known good ground point. you should be able to just touch it to the center steering wheel nut.

Keep in mind that the key has to be on....
stickyfingers
Traced the brown wire from the steering column to a bolt just under the fuse panel. A few other things are ground at that spot as well.

Is there a way to test the horn itself to see if it is working? If I take it out can I apply 12v to it?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 16 2021, 01:28 PM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 16 2021, 01:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment

report back.

Connected to it and no joy. Nothing happens. the wiper relay is good (I understand that is the same relay that is for the horn) - wipers work great. If I connect the brown wire (since it's ground) to a metal component on the steering wheel should it not sound the horn?

Yes, it should.

If it doesn't then you probably have a bad wiper contact in the steering column. Pull the steering wheel off and look at the turn signal switch. If the wiper contact is worn away, the horn won't work.

Clay
stickyfingers
Sorted it out. I looked at the wiring at the horn. PO had wiring incorrectly done. Fixed it and got the horn working. Thanks for all your help. By the way - I love this forum. Everyone here is so helpful and you rock!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 16 2021, 02:31 PM) *

Sorted it out. I looked at the wiring at the horn. PO had wiring incorrectly done. Fixed it and got the horn working. Thanks for all your help. By the way - I love this forum. Everyone here is so helpful and you rock!

Gotta love the DAPO. Without him you wouldn't have any good stories to tell.

stickyfingers
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 16 2021, 04:47 PM) *

I had 12 things that weren't working properly to not working at all. Thanks to this forum and the good folks on here I have reduced that list to 3 items.

1. The alternator is something that I'm out of my depth with so I'll need a little professional help there.
2. The odometer stopped working during shipping of the car as the PO showed a video of it working. The speedometer needle does wobble a little on low speeds. Something is a foot with that.
3. Finally, the eBrake light is finicky. I can push the button at a certain angle and it'll work but as I lower the eBrake I believe it is supposed to push that little button to stop the light in the dash from blinking.

That's it for now - lol.

I'll do some research on the forum first for items #2 and #3 and then, if necessary, post a new thread.

Thanks.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Mar 16 2021, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 16 2021, 04:47 PM) *

I had 12 things that weren't working properly to not working at all. Thanks to this forum and the good folks on here I have reduced that list to 3 items.

1. The alternator is something that I'm out of my depth with so I'll need a little professional help there.
2. The odometer stopped working during shipping of the car as the PO showed a video of it working. The speedometer needle does wobble a little on low speeds. Something is a foot with that.
3. Finally, the eBrake light is finicky. I can push the button at a certain angle and it'll work but as I lower the eBrake I believe it is supposed to push that little button to stop the light in the dash from blinking.

That's it for now - lol.

I'll do some research on the forum first for items #2 and #3 and then, if necessary, post a new thread.

Thanks.

The odometer was probably reset when moving. That will break the plastic gear inside the speedo and render the odometer inop.

The ebrake handle bushing is probably worn enough to allow it to shift off to the side. It happened on Betty's car years ago, so I just put a tab on the handle to push the switch.

I later replaced the ebrake handle.

Glad we could help.

Clay
stickyfingers
Thanks again Clay. I’ll sort out the ebrake in due time.

Would I need to replace the speedo all together?
FlacaProductions
Odometer gear fix:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...hp?t243968.html

No need to replace the gauge - you can do the fix yourself or if you want, you can send it out - palo alto speedometer or north hollywood speedometer.

Also - while you have the speedo out, you can try a little lube down the cable from the top - that might smooth out the wobble.

When removing the speedo, don't forget the nut on the trip odometer reset cable down below the kneepad
stickyfingers
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 16 2021, 05:55 PM) *

Odometer gear fix:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...hp?t243968.html

No need to replace the gauge - you can do the fix yourself or if you want, you can send it out - palo alto speedometer or north hollywood speedometer.

Also - while you have the speedo out, you can try a little lube down the cable from the top - that might smooth out the wobble.

When removing the speedo, don't forget the nut on the trip odometer reset cable down below the kneepad

Thanks for that. I assume I have to take the steering wheel off.
FlacaProductions
You don't but it does make things easier.
drape a towel across the top of the column so you don't scratch it or the gauges.
stickyfingers
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 16 2021, 06:09 PM) *

You don't but it does make things easier.
drape a towel across the top of the column so you don't scratch it or the gauges.

Thanks - will give that a go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.