Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Momo steering wheel swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Morph914
I thought I had all the parts for this swap but now I’m not sure. First off when I mocked the parts up I noticed my contact ring is toast.

Click to view attachment

I also went with the J West adapter to bring the wheel out and up a bit.

Click to view attachment

I know the wire from the contact ring goes up through the hub and connects to the center tab on the horn button, and I thought the other tab on the horn button grounded to the silver ring that sits under the wheel. But after putting this together I’m not sure

.Click to view attachment

And after putting the horn button in the wheel, it does not seat properly. What holds the horn button in anyway?

Click to view attachment

Also, is the blinker canceling tab mounted at the 3 o clock position if the wheel is straight?

wysri9
I have just encountered the same issues. My horn button did push fit in to the wheel though and stay put. The return electrical path in my case is via the spring projecting from the side of the button. It is important for that to connect firmly with a steel part of the wheel/hub (or at least an aluminium part with the anodising removed). Then another essential element is the use of a conducting (graphite based in my case) grease between wheel/hub and column. I still found slightly high resistance in that return path but hopefully it will be ok. I am days away from powering up my complete custom built electrical system so will only know if it works once the sparks have stopped flying..... smile.gif

See more soon on my Scottish reincarnation thread......
Morph914
QUOTE(wysri9 @ Mar 17 2021, 12:24 AM) *

I have just encountered the same issues. My horn button did push fit in to the wheel though and stay put. The return electrical path in my case is via the spring projecting from the side of the button. It is important for that to connect firmly with a steel part of the wheel/hub (or at least an aluminium part with the anodising removed). Then another essential element is the use of a conducting (graphite based in my case) grease between wheel/hub and column. I still found slightly high resistance in that return path but hopefully it will be ok. I am days away from powering up my complete custom built electrical system so will only know if it works once the sparks have stopped flying..... smile.gif

See more soon on my Scottish reincarnation thread......

I’ll be watching to see how yours turns out. popcorn[1].gif
It will be a bit scary to connect the battery after a complete restoration, hopefully no smoke or fires...
Steve
I had the same problem with the same parts. The tab is at 3 o'clock . On the horn button, one wire goes to the ground, which is the connection on the silver ring and the other wire goes to the horn ring.
In my stash of spare parts and wheels, I had a black ring, that holds the horn button in place. I don't know if you can buy this ring separately. There might also be a horn button that works without the ring. You will also need longer screws.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
This is good info as I'm hoping to add a Momo Prototipo wheel one day to my 914 as well. Please let us know if you get it working and what was the solution (parts and #s).

What size Momo wheels fit best on our 914s? Does the 350mm wheel work best?
Morph914
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 17 2021, 10:21 AM) *

I had the same problem with the same parts. The tab is at 3 o'clock . On the horn button, one wire goes to the ground, which is the connection on the silver ring and the other wire goes to the horn ring.
In my stash of spare parts and wheels, I had a black ring, that holds the horn button in place. I don't know if you can buy this ring separately. There might also be a horn button that works without the ring. You will also need longer screws.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thank you, I see how that part would work, but I’m not in love with it. I may have to MacGyver something. You would think someone would make a kit for this swap, I know a lot of people are running this same set up.

I love your car by the way!
Morph914
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Mar 18 2021, 02:44 PM) *

This is good info as I'm hoping to add a Momo Prototipo wheel one day to my 914 as well. Please let us know if you get it working and what was the solution (parts and #s).

What size Momo wheels fit best on our 914s? Does the 350mm wheel work best?

I believe mine is the 350 mm, but I have never driven my car yet, so I will keep you posted. I hope to have it on the road in a couple of months.

Cheers,
John
pfreiburger
I installed a MOMO Prototypo steering wheel recently and used the contact ring from the original wheel. It attached using pre-drilled holes in the adapter and everything works fine – including the horn. Mine is 350 mm (vs 380 mm for the stock wheel, I believe) and that size seems perfect; I don’t think I would want it any smaller. I did have to elongate the recess in the MOMO hub adapter for the plastic horn lead protector, as it was cast in slightly the wrong place in relation to the holes for the horn ring. I noticed that the adapter that you are using looks different from the one I used, yours being somewhat elongated when viewed from the end – mine is round. Maybe they gave you the wrong hub adapter?

Click to view attachment
Morph914
QUOTE(pfreiburger @ Mar 18 2021, 10:53 PM) *

I installed a MOMO Prototypo steering wheel recently and used the contact ring from the original wheel. It attached using pre-drilled holes in the adapter and everything works fine – including the horn. Mine is 350 mm (vs 380 mm for the stock wheel, I believe) and that size seems perfect; I don’t think I would want it any smaller. I did have to elongate the recess in the MOMO hub adapter for the plastic horn lead protector, as it was cast in slightly the wrong place in relation to the holes for the horn ring. I noticed that the adapter that you are using looks different from the one I used, yours being somewhat elongated when viewed from the end – mine is round. Maybe they gave you the wrong hub adapter?

Click to view attachment

The elongated part you are seeing is the JWest eccentric adapter, this moves the wheel out and up a bit. I am 6’2” and the stock wheel would rub on my knees, this is supposed to help with that.
I too am using the stock horn contact ring, I’m just having trouble with the horn button. If I don’t use the shinny metal grounding ring between the wheel and hub, the horn button fits in the wheel flush but nothing holds it in place. When I use the grounding ring the horn button sits proud of the wheel. As noted above there is a piece that can fit over the button that attaches to the wheel with longer screws, but I don’t really like how that one looks. I may have to get a different horn button.
DC_neun_vierzehn
@Morph914

So what did you end up doing?

I've had the Momo Prototipo wheel, hub, and horn button on for the last few months and it worked well and looked great.

However, I just added a JWEst eccentric adapter (to eliminate the knee rub and increase visibility of my instrument cluster) and now my horn button won't stay in the wheel.

Love that the JWEst eccentric adapter allows me to see my tach and speedo more and no mas knee rub, but I would like to have my horn function back ASAP : (
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.