Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burlybryan
Wondering if starters are interchangeable between the years/engine types? If so, what's the preferred reman? At some point, I'll be replacing my 1.8 with a 2.0, but swapping the trans between the two. My current starter (on the 1.8), makes some very bad noises and is either toast or is chewing up the flywheel.

Thanks.

Bryan
Root_Werks
Others will chime in, but I believe all 4cyl starters are pretty much the same.
mepstein
I use to always take the 911 starters and alternators to our local battery shop for a rebuild. It usually took 2 days and $75-125 depending on parts needed but Unlike buying reman parts, I always knew it would fit perfectly. It's just another option.
yellowporky
@bdstone914 sold me a rebuilt 911 starter for my 1.7 and it cranks fast.
Maybe he can chime in on the specs
bdstone914
QUOTE(burlybryan @ Mar 18 2021, 08:53 AM) *

Wondering if starters are interchangeable between the years/engine types? If so, what's the preferred reman? At some point, I'll be replacing my 1.8 with a 2.0, but swapping the trans between the two. My current starter (on the 1.8), makes some very bad noises and is either toast or is chewing up the flywheel.

Thanks.

Bryan

@burlybryan
All 914 starters are the same. They are 3/4 hp compared to a 911 at 1 -1/4 hp.
If you are running a high compression motor use a 911 or high torque starter.
If you want a quality rebuilt 914 starter is have one for $125 plus shipping, no core needed. Stay away from rebuilds from commom FLAPS.

Mark Henry
-I like the 911 starter, but it's a big heavy brute.
-The stock 914 starter is good for most apps. I also use a local auto-electric service shop.
-I have a Hi-Torque on my 3.0/6 high CR engine, works real good and pretty light compared to the stock offerings.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 18 2021, 11:09 AM) *

I use to always take the 911 starters and alternators to our local battery shop for a rebuild. It usually took 2 days and $75-125 depending on parts needed but Unlike buying reman parts, I always knew it would fit perfectly. It's just another option.

Me too, I took Mark’s suggestion on this approach a year ago and soooo much better than FLAPS lottery. That said - I have an awesome shop close by but same day service and better price and I know it fits.
914Sixer
Bosch SR-68X is the NEW version of the 911 1.5 hp starter. It is high torque and smaller in size than the previous version. It is not cheap though, about $300 without core.
robkammer
I like the 'Do not strike with hammer' warning. Back in the day it would have been targeted at Ford mechanics
burlybryan
Thanks for the input all!

Cheers,

Bryan
FlacaProductions
https://www.allzim.com/store/914-parts/engi...trical/starter/
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 18 2021, 02:04 PM) *

Bosch SR-68X is the NEW version of the 911 1.5 hp starter. It is high torque and smaller in size than the previous version. It is not cheap though, about $300 without core.

Almost looks like a 996 starter (it's not the same number, I checked) I hope it's not the same motor as they suck. IMO they are under powered.

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 18 2021, 05:13 PM) *

Looks like the Hi-Torque starter.
ClayPerrine
I have been running the IMI high torque starter on both Betty's 4 cylinder and on the 4.0 engine for years. Never had a single problem with them. And no hot start relay needed.

On the six, I run the Bosch SR-68X. It is the current Porsche recommended replacement. It turns over that 2.0 T motor with authority. But I am looking for an original early 911/914-6 starter to put on it.

Clay
burlybryan
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 18 2021, 11:25 AM) *

Thanks.

Bryan

@burlybryan
If you want a quality rebuilt 914 starter is have one for $125 plus shipping, no core needed. Stay away from rebuilds from commom FLAPS.

@bdstone914
Hi Bruce,
I've tried contacting you via our PM conversation regarding the rebuilt starter, but have not received any acknowledgement from you. Please confirm.
bdstone914
QUOTE(burlybryan @ Mar 23 2021, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 18 2021, 11:25 AM) *

Thanks.

Bryan

@burlybryan

@bdstone914
Hi Bruce,
I've tried contacting you via our PM conversation regarding the rebuilt starter, but have not received any acknowledgement from you. Please confirm.

@burlybryan

Bryan,
The starter will go today my UPS.
The delay is that Paypal printing of UPS postage has been down for about a week and still is. i went on to the UPS site and printed it from there. You should have an email notification with the tracking number. Sorry for the delay.

Bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.