Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outer firewall replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
The inner and outer firewall panels rusted where they meet the floor. This time around I bought the full-width outer firewall from Restoration Design. I may be able to manage to get the flapper box tubes and other through fittings brazed into place, but I can see no way to put the firewall panel in place with the heater tubes coming out of the longitudinal members. I don’t mind cutting the firewall and welding it back after installing it, but I sure would feel silly if there was a trick to it. Help please.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 22 2021, 07:02 PM) *

I don’t mind cutting the firewall and welding it back after installing it

That's what I ended up doing. I believe I'm not the only one, but I'll let others chime in. I remember noodling this through and not coming up with any other solution.

You can see mine in place below and where I cut it to fit it in place.

Click to view attachment
worn
Thanks! Any other ideas?
Literati914
I've been wondering the same, hopefully someone will have a good idea and can share..

I've been contemplating cutting a 'heater-tube-width' section out on each side of the panel, then sliding the piece in place & welding the cut-outs back in. The out-side area of the tube holes seem like a better option than the bottom - 'cause the bottom is the more vulnerable areas for rust development (obviously).

cary
Can't be done. Cut and paste. The 2 45 degree tubes make it impossible.
Can only be done with both longs open and heater tubes removed.
Rob did a nice job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.