Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: P/N on rear axles ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I have a set of 28 spline, 108mm shafts that were definitely running on a 914 before I got them (I only assume a 901 was being used, but never saw the transaxle). They came with a set of stock 5-lug rear hubs - as well as a set of trailing arm that had been modified to use a 911 E-brake set up (driver's side only).

I thought 108mm 911 axles wouldn't work with a stock 914 transaxle though - is that right?

I'd like to find the part #s on these but they are super cruddy and I'm no-where near needing to rebuild & use them. The p/n's are not obvious, I figured they're probably under one of the CV boots - can someone confirm which (end/boot) I need to cut off to find it? TIA.

Mark Henry
I have 108mm running gear and I use Swayaway axles. The part number is 2420 and is in the 5 bolt thread in the classics forum section.

As for the trans you have to use the 108mm (M10 bolt) output stubs that was used on the late 901, 911 and IIRC early 915 trannys.

108MM CV's are NLA, some use the 930 CV's but I found that G50 CV's are a better fit and cheaper.

This is the most bullet proof set up for big engines.
Literati914
I'd like to use the axles I already have (I just assume they're 911 at this point) and since they obviously have worked on the 914 they came off of, I was hoping to use them and save some money on new axles.

But I'd really like to understand what set up it actually is.. so finding the p/n would help solve that mystery - if I can find it, hence the question.

..yes, my assumption is that course splined 108mm flanges were used in the original 914 trans (which someone got without realizing it had a flange mod)... but still, I was under the impression that the average 911 axles were too short for use with the typical 914 set up. I thought custom axles had to be used with 108mm gear - but these do not appear to be custom and have very obviously been used on a 914 (came with the trailing arms). So, is that not true?

I do already have an un-used set of 930 CVs, so that part's covered.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 28 2021, 12:11 PM) *

I'd like to use the axles I already have (I just assume they're 911 at this point) and since they obviously have worked on the 914 they came off of, I was hoping to use them and save some money on new axles.

But I'd really like to understand what set up it actually is.. so finding the p/n would help solve that mystery - if I can find it, hence the question.

..yes, my assumption is that course splined 108mm flanges were used in the original 914 trans (which someone got without realizing it had a flange mod)... but still, I was under the impression that the average 911 axles were too short for use with the typical 914 set up. I thought custom axles had to be used with 108mm gear - but these do not appear to be custom and have very obviously been used on a 914 (came with the trailing arms). So, is that not true?

I do already have an un-used set of 930 CVs, so that part's covered.

I can't remember but the 911 axle is either too short or too long for this set -up.

What you have is the sought after 911 108mm stub and hub, but it's missing the transmission flanges. The trans flanges themselves won't be cheap unless you're lucky and then you still need the axles.

One way to go if under 150-160hp is pull the 108mm hubs and stubs and sell them. Then buy Eric's new 5-bolt conversion hubs, new bearings and it's all /4 parts for everything else.
I bet the sale will cover the new hubs, studs and bearings.
Literati914
I laid the complete 911/108mm set up next to a set of stock 914 axles today, and indeed they are shorter. So.. since these were running on a 914 - what are the options for how it was done?

I'm thinking either some other transmission (but which?), or a particular tranny flange that sticks out longer (but which?).. or some kind of an adapter to the stock 914 tranny flanges (would this one work?):
https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/dri-914-332-209-pms

Are there other ways? thx.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 28 2021, 08:44 PM) *

I laid the complete 911/108mm set up next to a set of stock 914 axles today, and indeed they are shorter. So.. since these were running on a 914 - what are the options for how it was done?

I'm thinking either some other transmission (but which?), or a particular tranny flange that sticks out longer (but which?).. or some kind of an adapter to the stock 914 tranny flanges (would this one work?):
https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/dri-914-332-209-pms

Are there other ways? thx.

I'd call and double check with PMS, but I think that is you only other option.

Just be aware that the adapters will be the weak link for high HP, although not a big deal for low HP.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.