Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Rubber roll bar pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bbrock
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jun 18 2021, 04:39 AM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 18 2021, 01:25 AM) *

Who has modified the new pads so the OE covers fit?

@bbrock describes what he did to make them fir on the first page of this thread. I was actually meaning to PM him the last day or so for more details as I want to get this done one way or another prior to the northeast gathering. Like the OP, I had put the rollbar pad on without the latch covers as a temporary solution, but now I need to get it resolved for real. I was waiting to see if the new latch covers were going to be available, but I just need to get it done at this point....

Hey Rob, Just a bit of an update. I carved out the openings on the roll pad with a dremel to allow the latch covers to drop into the openings correctly, but there was another issue when installing. Shrinkage of the pads caused the screw holes not to align will with the body so some prying and pulling was needed to screw the roll bar on. I started by screwing on one end at the corner and the using a stratchawl inserted through holes in the pad and rollbar to pry the pad so adjacent holes lined up enough to get a screw started. In some cases I had to use 1-1/2 inch screws to get them started at an angle, and then further pull the pad into place as they were tightened. Eventually the pad was pulled into place to fit nicely but there was enough twist that the latch covers lift slightly at the rear edges after all was installed. I need to see if additional grinding of the latch openings is needed for final adjustment.

My new pad looks much nicer than the cracked original but not quite concours due to these issues. Here's the final installed pic where you can see the slightly lifted latch covers.

IPB Image

The AA pads do look like they fit well but unfortunately, don't match OEM texture. Would be nice to marry the best qualities of each pad into one product.
BeatNavy
As always, thanks for the wisdom Brent. thumb3d.gif

I definitely want to get this figured out before the NE gathering.
Mikey914
Well,
We made the second run and they had some of the same issues even under lower pressure and modifying the tool. I hate that some of these are taking so much work. We will be providing latch covers with them moving forward. And to all that have bought them. It's the only wat to assure a perfect fit.

We will also be offering up all that purchased these a little something that I will divulge late next week.

The OEM covers may or may not fit without modification. This is why we will be providing the new ones.
Mark
rjames
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 18 2021, 09:48 AM) *

Well,
We made the second run and they had some of the same issues even under lower pressure and modifying the tool. I hate that some of these are taking so much work. We will be providing latch covers with them moving forward. And to all that have bought them. It's the only wat to assure a perfect fit.

We will also be offering up all that purchased these a little something that I will divulge late next week.

The OEM covers may or may not fit without modification. This is why we will be providing the new ones.
Mark

@Mikey914 Did the 2nd run correct the alignment for the screws?
windforfun
New top & side roll bar covers from AA. I'm happy.

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
rjames

Glad you're happy, but you made the same point 7 posts back. Not helpful.
MM1
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 18 2021, 09:54 PM) *

No dog in the hunt - I see your point . . .still, it is nice to see multiple complete shots and closeups of any product. I'm sure all will be made right and all products improved.
JamesM
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 18 2021, 06:54 PM) *

Lol, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Did AA ever correct the texture on their part? Thought that was one of the reasons behind marks effort here anyways was getting a more accurate part.

Interested to see where this goes as I bought 3 of these and still have them in the box waiting to see what direction needs to be taken.
wonkipop
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jun 18 2021, 11:10 PM) *

Did AA ever correct the texture on their part? Thought that was one of the reasons behind marks effort here anyways was getting a more accurate part.

Interested to see where this goes as I bought 3 of these and still have them in the box waiting to see what direction needs to be taken.

regarding texture.
the original factory part matches the texture of the interior side panels on the targa bar where seat belts attach.
its very lightly grained - almost smooth.
it does not match the vinyl on the sail pillars or the vinyl on the targa bar top.
at least not on mine, a 74, which is in original excellent condition.

it looks like its a very tricky part to remake with expansion contraction etc.
my hats off to the 914 rubber guys for having a go at this one.
its got to be tough to do.
Jett
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 18 2021, 11:51 PM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Jun 18 2021, 11:10 PM) *

regarding texture.
the original factory part matches the texture of the interior side panels on the targa bar where seat belts attach.
its very lightly grained - almost smooth.
it does not match the vinyl on the sail pillars or the vinyl on the targa bar top.
at least not on mine, a 74, which is in original excellent condition.

it looks like its a very tricky part to remake with expansion contraction etc.
my hats off to the 914 rubber guys for having a go at this one.
its got to be tough to do.

+1 I bought one from AA and it fit well, good quality, shipped fast, but the texture is off a bit… only we would know the difference, but way better than cracks.

+1 for 914Rubber taking this on, like they did the dash which turned out well smile.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Jett @ Jun 19 2021, 08:20 AM) *

+1 I bought one from AA and it fit well, good quality, shipped fast, but the texture is off a bit… only we would know the difference, but way better than cracks.

And to be fair, George posted on this forum about that and was very up front that the AA pad was intended to greatly improve appearance over a cracked pad but the texture was not a concours level reproduction.

The texture on the 914Rubber pad is really good. I've seen it described as a perfect match, but it isn't. The texture on the originals is created by depressions/creases in the vinyl where on the 914Rubber piece, the texture is ridges on the background vinyl. You really need a magnifying glass to see the difference and be purposely looking for any nit picky difference you can find so nobody should care. I remember Mark saying they had to use a different method to texture the roll bar pad than the dash which is a dead on match to original from what I can see.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we also have the seat belt bolsters to match the top pad. We make this out of the stuff they make toyota dashes, so it will not crack, that is why it is a bit off in texture, however with the two seat belt bolsters, all three will match and really not be noticed..
wonkipop
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 19 2021, 11:14 AM) *

we also have the seat belt bolsters to match the top pad. We make this out of the stuff they make toyota dashes, so it will not crack, that is why it is a bit off in texture, however with the two seat belt bolsters, all three will match and really not be noticed..

sound reconstruction logic. ^

i see that element as an interior part - think that was the original intent of the designers.
can understand agony trying to re-enact what was done in a german plastics component manufacturer half a century ago - and maybe impossible, also a good strategy to install matching elements to original extents.
but hats off to efforts to try and do it - worth it whichever way you go.

main thing is to keep the cars going.

have noticed that about toyota dash boards down here in aus.
not many of them crack and its a very harsh environment.
whereas your french cars just went to pieces, more or less exploded.
i saw an 80s citroen bx a few weeks back, a rare sight these days.
dashboard looked like it was ready to turn inside out.
sad, esp because bx dashboards were masterpieces of 80s avante garde.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 19 2021, 01:14 PM) *

George, I have the AA top bolster, got it when they first came out, I was not aware you have the seat belt bolster made too! I hope someday someone makes the front A-pilar trim cover as well, any work done to make those happen?

@dr914@autoatlanta.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.