Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with my glove box lock position
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SFGreg
I could use some help diagnosing my glove box locking problem. I acquired my ’74 2 years ago and have just got around to seeing why the glove box door won’t lock. If I had a correct 914 dash to compare, the issue would be obvious, but I don’t!

Here are my observations – photos attached:

The glove box lock mechanism operates fine.
The Lock TAB that is supposed to rotate so as to block the door doesn’t reach any effective position.
Too short (why?)
Wrong rotational position? Tilted?
Is the lock mechanism-mounting hole deformed?
Is a part of my box door missing?

Key position at 1030 the tab is at 430 but is not enough behind the door.
Key position at 130 the tab is at 730.

Yes, looks like a previous owner cut up the dash radio hole to fit a newer stereo.

Thanks for any help!
Cheers
Greg

Click to view attachment
FL000
I don’t have any pics handy and can’t see squat on mine. 73, and I did confirm that 130 is unlocked and 1030 is locked. Also confirmed that the door has to be almost fully closed to lock it, otherwise the mechanism behind the door interferes. I am others will chime in. Good luck.
SFGreg
Thanks for checking for me. That helps. I had thought maybe the whole lock was rotated but it does seem to seat in a notched position at 1030/130.
Shivers
I went out to mine and the gb door has a tab that protrudes towards the lock. That's why the arm from the lock looks so short, it doesn't need to reach the door, the door reaches it.
Morph914
Maybe these can help, I took these before and during the disassembly.

Cheers,

John

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

SFGreg
Nice photos, thanks. The picture is getting clearer. My lock must be okay.
Your last photo corroborates my gb door must have something missing that reaches toward the lock tab. I'll search for a photo on line.
SFGreg
Found a good photo.

It appears that the metal flange for the spring attachment is also used for the locking of the door. I'm not at my car now, but dollars to donuts mine is missing or severly bent on the left side.

Problem solved. Y'all rock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.