Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New-to-me 914/6 just sitting for 5 months
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rufus
Hi All - As some may recall, I bought this 914/6 last summer:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=346147&hl=

The engine’s an RS spec 2.7l w/S cams, Webers, RS pistons & cylinders. Leakdown results last summer were acceptable (10-12% IIRC). It’s been driven only 11,000 miles since being rebuilt in 1993.

After spending several months at Rothsport having some work done, I received it in late November. Because of COVID, I mailed the registration/title paperwork to the DMV ... which they lost. I’m just now, finally, about to receive the new plate, registration, etc., so I can go for my 1st drive.

Since November, I’ve kept the battery charged, increased tire pressures, and raised the car to rotate the wheels. Engine hasn’t been turned over or started since 11/22/2020.

Besides correcting tire pressures, is there anything else I should do before the first drive?

Is 5 months of sitting idle long enough to worry about the chamber carbon deposit issue and need for a treatment like Berryman B-12 chemtool as described in Wayne Dempsey’s book?

Any advise is welcome...

Bob
Cairo94507
How exciting to be able to drive your car for the first time. I do not think 5 months is a long time parked. I would maybe check the oil. If it was fresh when you parked it, it should be fine. If it was not fresh at the time you parked it, I would change the oil and filter.

Was the gas tank full or not when parked? If full probably not a problem. If not, you might want to buy some new gas to top it off before driving. But I really think the gas should be good for 5 months.

Check your brakes before you go driving down the street. Just look for any leaks around the calipers and make sure the master cylinder reservoir is still topped off.

Then clean the windows and go for an easy ride to get all the seals and rubber playing nicely. I would take it for a long enough ride to get it up to temperature for sure. Have fun and enjoy. beerchug.gif
Rufus
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 5 2021, 12:34 PM) *

How exciting to be able to drive your car for the first time. I do not think 5 months is a long time parked. I would maybe check the oil. If it was fresh when you parked it, it should be fine. If it was not fresh at the time you parked it, I would change the oil and filter.

Was the gas tank full or not when parked? If full probably not a problem. If not, you might want to buy some new gas to top it off before driving. But I really think the gas should be good for 5 months.

Check your brakes before you go driving down the street. Just look for any leaks around the calipers and make sure the master cylinder reservoir is still topped off.

Then clean the windows and go for an easy ride to get all the seals and rubber playing nicely. I would take it for a long enough ride to get it up to temperature for sure. Have fun and enjoy. beerchug.gif

All good points. Thanks.
wndsrfr
I'm shy of any fuel other than known non-ethanol that's been sitting for as long as 6 months--and I'm guessing that it may be even older than that based on your timeline. Siphon out or with a good charged battery pump it out into fuel cans that you can use in your lawnmower later little by little. With fresh fuel in, pull the fuel pump and ignition fuses and crank until you see oil pressure on the gauge--should only take about 15 seconds or so. Then fire it up with 2 or 3 pumps of the accelerator first to shoot some fuel in--my routine is to floor it twice before cranking and hold the throttle open on the second pump to allow fuel fumes to rise in the carbs then get off the gas pedal and crank being ready to hit the gas pedal quickly to help it catch. Remember, there's no choke on these carbs so it'll take several times of one pump and then crank again for it to catch...enjoy!!
sixnotfour
Drive it...add gas whatever... Check oil level when warm...
Shivers
If there is a lot of humidity in the area it was parked, I'd change the fluids. Otherwise, that was a good description of a weber equipt engine start up process. Give it a try.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.