Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Apple iPhones
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 9 2021, 06:25 AM) *

Lack of support doesn't mean it's done.
"Question: What does unsupported mean
no more security updates, no more OS compatibility for the future. its probably ok currently as long as you use common sense. Even the current computers with current systems can be compromised using a lack of common sense. Jan 19, 2019 2:26 AM.Jan 19, 2019"

I have a bunch of old Android phones in the drawer. They don't work at all anymore. It's not the phone, it is the network. AT&T removed the wireless networks that they use. 2G is gone as of 2017, so the original Iphone doesn't work anymore. 3G will be going away next year (2022). Those of you on those old 3G phones better start planning for a new phone.

Clay
fixer34
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 9 2021, 05:51 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 9 2021, 06:25 AM) *

Lack of support doesn't mean it's done.
"Question: What does unsupported mean
no more security updates, no more OS compatibility for the future. its probably ok currently as long as you use common sense. Even the current computers with current systems can be compromised using a lack of common sense. Jan 19, 2019 2:26 AM.Jan 19, 2019"

I have a bunch of old Android phones in the drawer. They don't work at all anymore. It's not the phone, it is the network. AT&T removed the wireless networks that they use. 2G is gone as of 2017, so the original Iphone doesn't work anymore. 3G will be going away next year (2022). Those of you on those old 3G phones better start planning for a new phone.

Clay

2G/3G/etc is the DATA part of the connection. GSM/CDMA/etc is the CELLULAR part which is used for actual voice calls. If you recall when iPhones first came out, they would only work on AT&T. That was because of the cellular network.
One will work without the other, but it does limit the usefulness.
Carriers are dropping older Cellular protocols also; you have to get a new phone one way or the other.

The rest of my family is all Apple; iPhone, iPad, iWatch. I refuse because of how intrusive Apple is. You must set up an Apple ID profile and login with that to even use any of the devices. I don't like having a big company in my back pocket all the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.