Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Apple iPhones
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
windforfun
For the money, Apple can kiss my ass. How many features do you really need? What superficial horse shit!
914werke
I got nothing to add, Im still rockin a 7yr old Android phone rolleyes.gif
mepstein
I have a iPhone 12 pro max. I love it.
Son has a 12 pro
Daughter has 11.
We all have Mac pros and air’s.
Wife has a 11, Mac air and the latest watch. Her job pays for all her electronics.

We drank the cool-aid and it tastes good. biggrin.gif
GregAmy
I have a 7-yr-old iPhone.

Does exactly what I need it to do with minimal muss, fuss. No bells, whistles, extra stuff to show off.

I get compliments on my "old school" equipment.

Kinda like my Porsche 914.
bkrantz
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 5 2021, 08:47 PM) *

Does exactly what I need it to do with minimal muss, fuss. No bells, whistles, extra stuff to show off.

Just think what we had for phones, and computers, in 1970. The big technology in phones included exotic car radio phones for very dedicated (and wealthy) people, and extra long coiled cords for regular folks. And I was learned how to create punch cards and load them into a refrigerator-size computer.
Andyrew
I've got a 11pro max(work) and a Sony android.

I'm an android guy but the apple just works. And had a rediculous camera.

oakdalecurtis
“A recent study has found that people that use I phones are smarter than people that use Android phones”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail....one-choice.html

Don’t flame me, I’m just the messenger... chair.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 5 2021, 10:47 PM) *

av-943.gif

I just got rid of my iPhone 4 and moved to a 7 about a year ago. Kids at work couldn't belive how small it was. It actually fit in your pocket. Now there's a novel idea! lol-2.gif

I only got rid of it because it was 3G and I found the network was limiting 3G bandwidth in favor of LTE. It had slowed down to virtually nothing.

I can't understand for the life of me what it is with software updates that think it is acceptable to Fuch with the settings of my phone.

Best thing about the iPhone 4 was when Apple stopped supporting it with those Fuching updates that jack up your phone setttings.
Front yard mechanic
I use my I phone to tell me when I'm going 160 mph in San Bernardino
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Apr 6 2021, 09:03 AM) *

I use my I phone to tell me when I'm going 160 mph in San Bernardino

happy11.gif
mate914
I cant wait until my phone has a skin healing function. My skin not phone skin..
Matt
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 5 2021, 07:39 PM) *

I have a iPhone 12 pro max. I love it.
Son has a 12 pro
Daughter has 11.
We all have Mac pros and air’s.
Wife has a 11, Mac air and the latest watch. Her job pays for all her electronics.

We drank the cool-aid and it tastes good. biggrin.gif

We are an iPhone family. Use iMessage cause cell service sucks. One of my daughters boyfriend has an android. If I want to send a cute picture to that group chat, I have to stand in the front yard. Very frustrating
StarBear
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 5 2021, 10:47 PM) *

Me, too. Retired about 2 years ago so no longer a company phone. "Backdated" to an iPhone 7 - took a while to figure (most) things out. Don't bother with the rest of the "stuff". biggrin.gif
mepstein
Like Andrew said, the new cameras on the phones are amazing.
Coondog
My 90 year old Mom just switched from Android to Apple........ poke.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 6 2021, 12:47 AM) *

“A recent study has found that people that use I phones are smarter than people that use Android phones”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail....one-choice.html

Don’t flame me, I’m just the messenger... chair.gif

well i take research like that with a grain of salt, you can pick that apart if you know how
to look at studies like this, but
we must be the outliers because my son is a genius VERY high IQ, definitely highest in our family, and he is the only Android user, but mainly because he is a programmer and software developer for a major financial institution, i guess the rest of us are pretenders with out Iphones, but i have a 6s and when it dies i am just going back to a flip phone for actual phone use only. .......
theymake new flips now....
jd74914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 6 2021, 07:15 AM) *

I just got rid of my iPhone 4 and moved to a 7 about a year ago. Kids at work couldn't belive how small it was. It actually fit in your pocket. Now there's a novel idea! lol-2.gif

That's what pisses me off the most, and it's not an Android or iOS problem-the phones should at least come in a version that is pocket sized. slap.gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 6 2021, 08:03 AM) *

That's what pisses me off the most, and it's not an Android or iOS problem-the phones should at least come in a version that is pocket sized. slap.gif

Dontcha wanna wear one of those really cool phone belt clip things? C'mon, they are as cool as a pocket protector in high school!
jaredmcginness
iPhone since day one.
Purchased my first (and these first) iPhone with money I saved from mowing neighborhood lawns.

Its saved my ass with the 914 while working; having this site open, using the light, music for sanity, etc.

Over complicated, maybe, but it is indeed a tool.
horizontally-opposed
With publishing, you're kinda stuck with Apple—though I did prefer the "logic" of its interface to PC when I made the leap. As I did then, I find the interface to be more approachable/simpler, but this may be a personal thing.

For me, peak iPhone for form factor was iPhone 5 (later reintroduced as the first SE). Fit in your front or back pocket, beautiful case, timeless. But 5G, support, availability, Apple's games with batteries/speed (ugh), etc forced me to move on. If we're allowed to dream, and could hot rod as we can with Porsches, mine would be an iPhone 5 case with a full-front screen, the latest camera, max photo storage, and a replaceable battery. I know, ain't gonna happen.
GregAmy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 6 2021, 10:03 AM) *
That's what pisses me off the most, and it's not an Android or iOS problem-the phones should at least come in a version that is pocket sized.

...which is almost the sole reason I retained an old iPhone.

I observe how sales is driving porting everything to phone screens, as if computers/monitors/laptops will be going away.

I will chuckle at the Millenials hitting late-30s and starting to need reading glasses, as they complain about how they need bigger monitors/laptops.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 5 2021, 07:28 PM) *

I got nothing to add, Im still rockin a 7yr old Android phone rolleyes.gif

agree.gif

My Droid phone is almost 7 years old. Nothing against fruit, but wouldn't plan on buying one when my current phone finally stops working or I step on it.
mepstein
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 6 2021, 11:03 AM) *

iPhone 12 mini - done biggrin.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2021, 08:40 AM) *

^ Well, I'll be. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like they actually built the iPhone I was hoping they would.

A smaller/better one instead of bigger/better. I may actually upgrade willingly for the first time in more than a decade.
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2021, 11:40 AM) *

Obviously, it would be called the iPhone Nano.

Maybe the iPhone Shuffle after that - no screen at all!
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 6 2021, 11:52 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2021, 08:40 AM) *

^ Well, I'll be. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like they actually built the iPhone I was hoping they would.

A smaller/better one instead of bigger/better. I may actually upgrade willingly for the first time in more than a decade.

It’s actually the one my son has now. He likes the small form factor a lot.
He used window for work (finance) and has owned android phones so he doesn’t hate any platform but is very pleased with the new mini.
I like a huge phone screen since I use it as my primary computer.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2021, 09:09 AM) *

It’s actually the one my son has now. He likes the small form factor a lot.
He used window for work (finance) and has owned android phones so he doesn’t hate any platform but is very pleased with the new mini.
I like a huge phone screen since I use it as my primary computer.

Seriously, thanks for the heads up. Looks like it's smaller than my SE, and more or less ideal.

Also get your point above. It's all about what works for each of us. For me, it's about 1 computer (use one laptop but have multiple old Thunderbolt monitors it can plug into at home, office, and garage) and 1 phone. Have been minimizing my key ring with Kwikset SmartKeys (down to just two keys plus car keys…), and now minimizing my wallet as well.

QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Apr 6 2021, 08:57 AM) *

Obviously, it would be called the iPhone Nano.

Did someone say iPhone Nano?

Even Ferrell and Fallon couldn't keep it together…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDxtjVKJ76A
rhodyguy
I refuse to be tethered to a cell phone. Or some plan. We have a plain Jane pay as you go travel phone. It lives in my wife's purse. 'Can we have your cell # and email sir?'. 'No. You don't need my email and I don't own a cell phone'. 'You don't own a CP?'. 'Nope'. Then it's all confused24.gif . I just stare. Then, 'We done here?'.
930cabman
QUOTE(windforfun @ Apr 5 2021, 07:07 PM) *

For the money, Apple can kiss my ass. How many features do you really need? What superficial horse shit!

Walk into your local Cricket store, get yourself a flip phone for $39. and $25. a month. EZ, my grandkids think mine is 50 years old, but still rockin
Mueller
Wife and I upgraded our old Samsung 7's to new Apple phones a few weeks ago due to the Samsungs just not working well anymore.

Wife got the iPhone 12 and I got the 12 Pro Max which I'm really digging. It works perfect with my brand new Model Y I picked up a few weeks ago.
rjames
I'm still on an iPhone 6s, but support ends after this year and (no more security updates), so I'll eventually move to something else. I thought my next phone would be an Android, but my wife got one a year ago and it's been a big PITA, especially when Google Play Music went away, and when trying to connect it to generic smart devices at home (Roku TV, smart audio receiver, etc.) so I'll probably stick with the iPhone- it just works and has broad support with other devices.

Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 6 2021, 10:58 AM) *

Wife and I upgraded our old Samsung 7's to new Apple phones a few weeks ago due to the Samsungs just not working well anymore.

Wife got the iPhone 12 and I got the 12 Pro Max which I'm really digging. It works perfect with my brand new Model Y I picked up a few weeks ago.

Congrats on the Tesla!
gandalf_025
I’ve used Macs most of my working lifetime.
(Graphic Arts) and my first I-phone was a 5S.
Last year I upgraded to a 7S because the battery in my 5 was getting tired.
I bought the 7 new from Consumer Cellular for 300.00.....
I have friends that have to get the latest and greatest toys and bought 12’s.
The day I pay 1000.00+ for a phone, put me away..
I use my I-phone as a phone, not a toy..
Absolutely no apps or clutter on it..
What I’d like to see is a phone that is a BETTER PHONE..
Not play better games or take better pictures..
Then again, I’m old...
Superhawk996
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 6 2021, 01:23 PM) *

I refuse to be tethered to a cell phone. Or some plan. We have a plain Jane pay as you go travel phone. It lives in my wife's purse. 'Can we have your cell # and email sir?'. 'No. You don't need my email and I don't own a cell phone'. 'You don't own a CP?'. 'Nope'. Then it's all confused24.gif . I just stare. Then, 'We done here?'.

aktion035.gif
Right on. I'm just trying to make a commercial transaction. I'm not trying to set up a personal relationship at the checkout. Wish more people would do this. Sick of waiting three minutes for a transaction that should take no longer than one minute while clerk put people's personal information into God knows what database.

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Apr 6 2021, 02:32 PM) *

Then again, I’m old...

happy11.gif So am I! I think that has become the dominant theme in this thread. lol-2.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 6 2021, 01:23 PM) *

I used to tell the young'ins that not having a cell phone paid for the mortgage.

We've only had cell phones for about 2 years now.
Only got them because we got a shared plan, 2 cell phones and the home phone (same old number), plus a better LD bundle for the same price we were paying Bell for our old land line.
Plus the wife's work discontinued her pager, I think she was the last one there still using a pager.

I only give a select few my cell number. hide.gif
SirAndy
I'm a computer programmer, that's what i do for a living.

So, no Apple products for me, i only use real computers (and phones)
poke.gif

Superhawk996
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 6 2021, 06:57 PM) *

poke.gif

OT but I've gotta ask:

So does that mean Linux? I've about had it with both Windows and OSX. Have one machine setup with Linux and seriously considering the switch.

If only they would make decent CAD software for Linux I think that would be enough to convice me to switch.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 6 2021, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 6 2021, 06:57 PM) *

poke.gif

OT but I've gotta ask:

So does that mean Linux? I've about had it with both Windows and OSX. Have one machine setup with Linux and seriously considering the switch.

If only they would make decent CAD software for Linux I think that would be enough to convice me to switch.

Both Linux and Windows are heaven for a programmer, as are embedded devices based on ARM processors.

While Apple has Unix under the hood these days, you're still fighting a constant uphill battle against all their proprietary pieces that don't play well (or at all) with anything else.
That starts with simple posix function calls that have their parameters reversed on a Mac for no reason to OS modules that have no documented APIs and you have to be an Apple approved developer ($$$) to even be able to use those modules to stuff that is just not documented at all ever.

At my job, our software we build is usually required to run on Linux, Windows and ARM unless there are platform specific GUI requirements.
Even software dedicated to embedded devices (car head-units or smart TVs for example) is build to run at least on a normal Linux distro which makes debugging soooo much easier.

Anyways, i'm ranting ...
biggrin.gif
914werke
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 6 2021, 08:26 AM) *
I got nothing to add, I'm still rockin a 7yr old Android phone rolleyes.gif
agree.gif
My Droid phone is almost 7 years old. Nothing against fruit, but wouldn't plan on buying one when my current phone finally stops working or I step on it.

That's the beauty of my approach, I can still find NOS versions of my phone for $50!!!
I keep a couple in a drawer & if ever one craps out or is lost, I pull it out & move on. I've rolled a creeper over my phone on more than one occasion after forgetting to take it out of my pocket. rolleyes.gif
$1k for a I-thing ~ !?! Forgetaboutit! av-943.gif Who's more intelligent?shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 6 2021, 11:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 6 2021, 08:26 AM) *
I got nothing to add, I'm still rockin a 7yr old Android phone rolleyes.gif
agree.gif

That's the beauty of my approach, I can still find NOS versions of my phone for $50!!!
I keep a couple in a drawer & if ever one craps out or is lost, I pull it out & move on. I've rolled a creeper over my phone on more than one occasion after forgetting to take it out of my pocket. rolleyes.gif
$1k for a I-thing ~ !?! Forgetaboutit! av-943.gif Who's more intelligent?shades.gif

It all depends on your needs. I use my phone as my personal computer and do the majority of my transactions on it. To me, it's worth every bit of 1,200. If I was just making phone calls, it would be horribly overpriced. Same with any tool or toy.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 6 2021, 05:57 PM) *

poke.gif

agree.gif

I am a sysadmin, and SirAndy is right. Only real computers and phones.

Clay
wonkipop
i hate phones period. always have. beerchug.gif
even the ones with cords on them.
falcor75
I had the first Samsung Galaxy back in back in 2010 or 11. It was really bad, at the same time the wife got an Iphone 4 that just worked. I was so jealous.
I later bought an I4 and had that untill the Iphone 6 came out, got that. Then had that untill 3 years ago when I was talked into a Samsung S8, never liked it but got used to it. This last christmas I bought a used Iphone Xs off a friend that was upgrading. Just love that the Iphone just works so well because I have zero interest in fiddling with stuff. Its a tool, either it works or it gets replaced but its the only Apple product I have.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Apr 7 2021, 04:08 AM) *

I had the first Samsung Galaxy back in back in 2010 or 11. It was really bad, at the same time the wife got an Iphone 4 that just worked. I was so jealous.
I later bought an I4 and had that untill the Iphone 6 came out, got that. Then had that untill 3 years ago when I was talked into a Samsung S8, never liked it but got used to it. This last christmas I bought a used Iphone Xs off a friend that was upgrading. Just love that the Iphone just works so well because I have zero interest in fiddling with stuff. Its a tool, either it works or it gets replaced but its the only Apple product I have.

The critical phrases bolded above.

While I have a lot of respect for those who can make life in 2021 work with no cell phone, or a prepaid phone—as well as those who are in the industry and can utilize real computers and phones—that sadly isn't me.

iPhones work well for me, and integrate well with the tools of my trade. So my time/bandwidth is better applied elsewhere, and my strategy to mitigate Apple's pricing structure is to buy older models, smaller models, etc and then keep them until doing so becomes cumbersome (which is quite a while with each so far, to the point I get ribbed for my old gear). That's worked well for me so far.

This iPhone 12 Mini would be the first elective buy since the original iPhone, but I've been on a kick of minimizing what I carry with me. Fewer keys, ultra-thin wallet, less phone.
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 7 2021, 09:09 AM) *

While I have a lot of respect for those who can make life in 2021 work with no cell phone, or a prepaid phone—as well as those who are in the industry and can utilize real computers and phones—that sadly isn't me.

iPhones work well for me, and integrate well with the tools of my trade. So my time/bandwidth is better applied elsewhere, and my strategy to mitigate Apple's pricing structure is to buy older models, smaller models, etc and then keep them until doing so becomes cumbersome (which is quite a while with each so far, to the point I get ribbed for my old gear). That's worked well for me so far.

This iPhone 12 Mini would be the first elective buy since the original iPhone, but I've been on a kick of minimizing what I carry with me. Fewer keys, ultra-thin wallet, less phone.

@horizontally-opposed
That is exactly my point, just in reverse.

Apple products are the equivalent of self driving cars. Just get in and it'll take you where you want to go, you don't have to do anything or know anything about cars, "it just works".

Whereas, from my point of view, i need to be able to interact with each of the components and not be told "you don't need to know how this works" at each step of the way.
type.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 7 2021, 09:54 AM) *

That is exactly my point, just in reverse.

Apple products are the equivalent of self driving cars. Just get in and it'll take you where you want to go, you don't have to do anything or know anything about cars, "it just works".

Whereas, from my point of view, i need to be able to interact with each of the components and not be told "you don't need to know how this works" at each step of the way.
type.gif

Don't worry—I got you. I guess what I am saying is: It's possible for someone to want that interaction with some things, and not want it with others. Actually, most people are probably built that way, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I love old cars and their sense of connection, which is probably part of why I prefer a clutch pedal in a modern street car and prefer cars without big screens and menus. I just want to feel/enjoy/savor the process of driving. And a 914 is hard to beat for that.

A smartphone? I want to think about it as little as possible, and it literally gives me zero joy, so the simplest UI (for me) with the functionality I need wins.
PlantMan
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 7 2021, 09:09 AM) *

I picked up a 12 mini a couple months ago to give my son my 11 when his old 7 stopped working. The mini is great/small/and fast.
Cairo94507
I just "upgraded" from the 10S to the 12 mini for free with AT&T. Well, actually I had to pay the sales tax, $61.00 and that was it. I really like that is the smaller size and more easily fits into a pocket. beerchug.gif
Montreal914
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 6 2021, 11:00 AM) *

I'm still on an iPhone 6s, but support ends after this year and (no more security updates), so I'll eventually move to something else. I thought my next phone would be an Android, but my wife got one a year ago and it's been a big PITA, especially when Google Play Music went away, and when trying to connect it to generic smart devices at home (Roku TV, smart audio receiver, etc.) so I'll probably stick with the iPhone- it just works and has broad support with other devices.

blink.gif I really like my 6S because its slim, good enough screen size and has rounded corners and nicely fits in your pocket. I don't have any extra case, just bare phone.

The battery died a while back and I ordered a replacement one for $20 on Amazon, watched the Youtube video and successfully replaced it. I have been enjoying a second life out of it. Very simple, super friendly interface. smilie_pokal.gif

Now you are telling me they will not support it anymore! WTF.gif I will have to give it up! sad.gif This is perfectly well functioning phone!!!

I guess my option would be the new SE which has the same dimension as my 6S but a little thicker... dry.gif

I don't like spending on this type of gadget, I prefer putting that money towards my 914 sunglasses.gif So the cheapest iPhone will be my option, not going to cross the fence to Android though... biggrin.gif

As for wallet, key, etc... Simple: Each car of the fleet has it's key/fob on a ring with one key of the house front door. The older the car, the smaller is the key set. Whatever car you take, you can get back in the house. Wallet; Small folded card size with the bare minimum, DL, CC, Health insurance, AAA, done!

mepstein
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Apr 8 2021, 11:23 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 6 2021, 11:00 AM) *

blink.gif I really like my 6S because its slim, good enough screen size and has rounded corners and nicely fits in your pocket. I don't have any extra case, just bare phone.

The battery died a while back and I ordered a replacement one for $20 on Amazon, watched the Youtube video and successfully replaced it. I have been enjoying a second life out of it. Very simple, super friendly interface. smilie_pokal.gif

Now you are telling me they will not support it anymore! WTF.gif I will have to give it up! sad.gif This is perfectly well functioning phone!!!

I guess my option would be the new SE which has the same dimension as my 6S but a little thicker... dry.gif

I don't like spending on this type of gadget, I prefer putting that money towards my 914 sunglasses.gif So the cheapest iPhone will be my option, not going to cross the fence to Android though... biggrin.gif

As for wallet, key, etc... Simple: Each car of the fleet has it's key/fob on a ring with one key of the house front door. The older the car, the smaller is the key set. Whatever car you take, you can get back in the house. Wallet; Small folded card size with the bare minimum, DL, CC, Health insurance, AAA, done!

Lack of support doesn't mean it's done.
"Question: What does unsupported mean
no more security updates, no more OS compatibility for the future. its probably ok currently as long as you use common sense. Even the current computers with current systems can be compromised using a lack of common sense. Jan 19, 2019 2:26 AM.Jan 19, 2019"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.