Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 38 Year 914 Story
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rose914
First a sincere thank you to Perry Kiehl for helping me get this car running!

I retired last year and committed myself to finish the six conversion i started 28 years ago and get this sweet 914 back onto the road. As Perry knows its a runner and a driver again! Still have plenty of work to do to get it running and driving well enough to get on the track which is my goal. A little more of this story. I've had the car for 38 years, but drove it for the first time in 1978 when my friend bought it. I bought from him in 1983. It's a 1974 2.0 with a 1973 911T in it now. Pretty close to an original six with all the original parts and pieces. (note i haven't figured out how to upload pictures here yet)

BillClick to view attachment

Making progress with the photos!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Took some lower resolution pictures today to add to the story. So more of the story on my 74 914. I started talking it to PCA DE's in 1990 with the original 2.0 and had a blast. Put in the Safety Devices Rollcage and Mid-Engineering wheels and Yokohama A008RS. Then i decided that this would be a dedicated track car and bought a rebuilt 1973 911T engine from Tom Bruch, Bruch Motorwerke in Iowa City. He set the engine up with original 914-6 oil cooler and all the lines and the Webers. Life got in the way and it sat for 28 years.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Rose914 @ Apr 15 2021, 08:41 AM) *

First a sincere thank you to Perry Kiehl for helping me get this car running!

I retired last year and committed myself to finish the six conversion i started 28 years ago and get this sweet 914 back onto the road. As Perry knows its a runner and a driver again! Still have plenty of work to do to get it running and driving well enough to get on the track which is my goal. A little more of this story. I've had the car for 38 years, but drove it for the first time in 1978 when my friend bought it. I bought from him in 1983. It's a 1974 2.0 with a 1973 911T in it now. Pretty close to an original six with all the original parts and pieces. (note i haven't figured out how to upload pictures here yet)

Bill

Bill-

Congrats on your new drivable SIX and on retiring beerchug.gif

You're up on me on the retiring...but soon

I sent you a PM

Post pictures when you get a chance popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Oscar
forrestkhaag
Cant wait to see it.

To upload photos, simply go into your photo file of JPEG type and look down this page at "File Attachments" / click "choose File" and click on your photo in your photo-file on your computer, then hit open under your photo, hit "Add This Attachment" - POOF! it is on your page on World.

beerchug.gif
forrestkhaag
Also thanks to Perry from me as well. His harness and other things along the way proved very helpful.

GeorgeRud
Completing a -6 conversion correctly is one of the most satisfying projects one can undertake. Thankfully with folks recreating many of the needed parts and Porsche initially doing the engineering work, the project makes a very enjoyable result. There are not many things as much fun as driving a big engined 914.
Rose914
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Apr 15 2021, 11:56 AM) *

Cant wait to see it.

To upload photos, simply go into your photo file of JPEG type and look down this page at "File Attachments" / click "choose File" and click on your photo in your photo-file on your computer, then hit open under your photo, hit "Add This Attachment" - POOF! it is on your page on World.

beerchug.gif

Thanks i tried again with some older photos. Still can't get my new ones to take. Maybe they are the wrong format? Taken with my iPhone??
MM1
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing process pics . . .and then some videos! evilgrin.gif
Cairo94507
@Rose914 - Congratulations on both fronts, retiring and getting the 914 running. As for photos, you might try sending the photos from your iPhone, via email to yourself, when it asks you what size to send the photos, experiment and try medium first. Then try to post that picture indoor thread- make sure you select the one you just sent as a medium photo. If it still will not let you load it due to size limitation, go back and send it as a small photo. See if that helps.

On my photos, I created a separate file that is just my 914 photos that I export from my photos file on my iMac and when exporting them, I selected a size that I knew would load. I have had no trouble since then posting pictures, and lots of them in one posting.

I do not know if this helps, but her are the steps on my iMac:
Go to Photos
Select the photo you want to export (you can select as many as you wish)
go to File then Export
Select Export (it will identify the number of photos you selected to export)
The you will get to a screen that should have some choices like Photo kind- JPEG
JPEG quality - Medium
Color profile sRGB
Size - Large
Then hit export
It will then ask you to tell it where to export the selected photos. (I created a file, "914-6 Web Pics" and that is where I drop all of my 914 related photos so I can easily post them.)
Then hit Export and you are done.

Then when you are on your thread and want to post a pic, you just go to the Choose File
tab and hit it and then select the photo you want from your exported file and then select Add This Attachment. It will then put it into your thread. I place the cursor when I want the photo go before I select Add this Attachment.

It make take you a bit to get this all set up (or not) but I would suggest then starting a thread and posting as many photos as you can so you get the hang of it.
Good luck. beerchug.gif

Root_Werks
Cool story and a long road, but well worth it!
Rose914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 15 2021, 12:50 PM) *

@Rose914 - Congratulations on both fronts, retiring and getting the 914 running. As for photos, you might try sending the photos from your iPhone, via email to yourself, when it asks you what size to send the photos, experiment and try medium first. Then try to post that picture indoor thread- make sure you select the one you just sent as a medium photo. If it still will not let you load it due to size limitation, go back and send it as a small photo. See if that helps.

On my photos, I created a separate file that is just my 914 photos that I export from my photos file on my iMac and when exporting them, I selected a size that I knew would load. I have had no trouble since then posting pictures, and lots of them in one posting.

I do not know if this helps, but her are the steps on my iMac:
Go to Photos
Select the photo you want to export (you can select as many as you wish)
go to File then Export
Select Export (it will identify the number of photos you selected to export)
The you will get to a screen that should have some choices like Photo kind- JPEG
JPEG quality - Medium
Color profile sRGB
Size - Large
Then hit export
It will then ask you to tell it where to export the selected photos. (I created a file, "914-6 Web Pics" and that is where I drop all of my 914 related photos so I can easily post them.)
Then hit Export and you are done.

Then when you are on your thread and want to post a pic, you just go to the Choose File
tab and hit it and then select the photo you want from your exported file and then select Add This Attachment. It will then put it into your thread. I place the cursor when I want the photo go before I select Add this Attachment.

It make take you a bit to get this all set up (or not) but I would suggest then starting a thread and posting as many photos as you can so you get the hang of it.
Good luck. beerchug.gif

Thanks for the instructions. I’ll give it a try. How about video from my iPhone? Bill
Cairo94507
You just exceeded my bandwidth. I have never posted a video, but I know I will be posting one soon so I will figure it out then. beerchug.gif
Coondog
Congrats on getting your 914 back on the road. Plus one on Perry, I think he has helped us all.
Rose914
QUOTE(Coondog @ Apr 15 2021, 09:20 PM) *

Congrats on getting your 914 back on the road. Plus one on Perry, I think he has helped us all.

Apple Valley area right? I spend a few years at George AFB back in the early 70's. Lived in Apple Valley for a year or so. Wonderful area. Wish i could spend time there now with this 914. Seems like there are a lot of you 914 fans in the SoCal area. It would be great to be around more of you guys. Not many here in rural Michigan. Bill
Coondog
QUOTE(Rose914 @ Apr 16 2021, 04:57 AM) *

Apple Valley area right? I spend a few years at George AFB back in the early 70's. Lived in Apple Valley for a year or so. Wonderful area. Wish i could spend time there now with this 914. Seems like there are a lot of you 914 fans in the SoCal area. It would be great to be around more of you guys. Not many here in rural Michigan. Bill

Yes Sir, you would cry if you saw the now closed George Air Force Base. It’s a horrible example of a small town “Victorville” thinking it could redevelop it into a regional airport. 90% of the infrastructure is in complete ruin. We do have some great roads here with a section of Route 66 that seems untouched for the last 60 years.
Rose914
QUOTE(Coondog @ Apr 16 2021, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Rose914 @ Apr 16 2021, 04:57 AM) *

Yes Sir, you would cry if you saw the now closed George Air Force Base. It’s a horrible example of a small town “Victorville” thinking it could redevelop it into a regional airport. 90% of the infrastructure is in complete ruin. We do have some great roads here with a section of Route 66 that seems untouched for the last 60 years.

We went thru this past winter on our way from Palm Springs to Vegas. Sure has changed from what i remember. Can't believe all the planes parked at the old base! Hope i can meet up with some of you 914 guys next winter when we are out there.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.