Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throw out bearing installation question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I guess my question is how tight should it be? it rides on the outside and it seems the ball should be all the way into the cut and fork, so it feels like i will have to force it onto this to get it to seat, is it ok to tap it with the rubber hammer to get it seated on the ball?

my transmission is back together and once this TO bearing and fork are installed its ready to go back into the car!!!!
Mark Henry
Tight but still a slip fit, make sure there's no rust and crud still in the hole.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 20 2021, 09:18 AM) *

Tight but still a slip fit, make sure there's no rust and crud still in the hole.

Ok i will clean that out make sure of that and clean off the ball, add a little grease or lube?

one other question i have too, the u bracket that holds the fork to the ball , the retainer that slides behind the ball, does the rounded side go behind the ball , facing the ball out toward the fork correct?
bdstone914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 20 2021, 06:48 AM) *

Ok i will clean that out make sure of that and clean off the ball, add a little grease or lube?

one other question i have too, the u bracket that holds the fork to the ball , the retainer that slides behind the ball, does the rounded side go behind the ball , facing the ball out toward the fork correct?

Yes. And check that part for cracks that are very common.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 20 2021, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 20 2021, 06:48 AM) *

Yes. And check that part for cracks that are very common.

you mean the fork cracks? ok will do, maybe should just get a new one- i got the new bracket and the guide and plastic side things that go on the bearing but didn’t get a new fork.
DRPHIL914
another question here- how loose should the shift fork be? i fee like the cup is not slipping over the ball all the way and with the u bracket behind the fork tightened it’s not hanging loose i have push or pull not just floating loose like before.

are wear marks on the fingers of the pressure plate normal? not grooved but wondering if this is normal too- btw before this was pulled , other than the squeaking bearing there was not any slippage of clutch, so i don’t plan on pulling pressure plate or disc and the flywheel was brand new less than 10k miles ago as well.
IronHillRestorations
A little wear on the fingers of the pressure plate is okay. Deep grooves and I'd replace it. 10k miles, I'd probably still use it in my own car
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Apr 20 2021, 10:50 PM) *

A little wear on the fingers of the pressure plate is okay. Deep grooves and I'd replace it. 10k miles, I'd probably still use it in my own car

it looks like grooves but it feels smooth, just more shine so it looks grooved.
i will probably leave it. how loose or how tight should the fork be on the ball?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 20 2021, 06:58 PM) *

i will probably leave it. how loose or how tight should the fork be on the ball?

Your awesome photo of the shift fork backside shows that it's seated properly to my eye. Remember, there's not really much movement at the pivot point and there's a LOT of pressure applied when you push in the clutch pedal so don't worry if it's a bit stiff when new....
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Apr 21 2021, 09:47 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 20 2021, 06:58 PM) *

Your awesome photo of the shift fork backside shows that it's seated properly to my eye. Remember, there's not really much movement at the pivot point and there's a LOT of pressure applied when you push in the clutch pedal so don't worry if it's a bit stiff when new....

thankyou!! that’s what i wanted to know . after seeing this i went ahead and got the transmission lines up for installing, sled right in. once bolted up the fork has about 1/2” travel and according to Pelican tech article it’s perfect. . tomorrow i will connect the CV’s .
oh and thanks to Rick at RIX914PARTS.com, new reflective shielding material for muffler shield.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.