Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT What's it worth 69 911 L ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
So I stop on the way home to look at a trailer and the guy selling asks me what type of car I'd be hauling and I mention a Porsche. He asks if I want another? Last year I drove by there and there was a 911 in his lot. It looked nice.

details: 69 911 L

50,054 miles, interior is very nice (piping on drivers seat at edge is the only wear spot I could see.

Has fiber glass front fenders & bumper (he has original bumper for it)

Told me "L" means it has the "S" interior

Webers on the engine. (6 of them)

Has enough dust on it to almost obscure the fact it's red.

What's it worth?

What to look for?

Yes, I know......no pictures, yada yada...didn't have my camera with me.........
TimT
it wont have 6 Webers, it will have two..3bbl each

911L were made prior to 1969, so its an oldie

It all comes down to RUST!!!

btw original 911 come with steel fenders... except some extreme exotics which are accounted for

GWN7
It was in a shed...very dark....couldn't find the serial number. Where is it located?
Aaron Cox
L was a detuned S to meet emissions right????
Dave_Darling
In 1968, the Feds imposed emissions regulations on imported cars. (Domestic cars had gotten them a year or two earlier.) They weren't much, but Porsche's brand-new sooper dooper 1967 911S couldn't meet them with its high state of tune and it's triple-throat Webers. The rest of the world still got the S, but we didn't.

So Porsche decided to take a body built to S specs (gauges, brakes, etc.) and stick a "normal" 911 (no letter suffix) motor into it, along with more luxo-goodies. They called it the 911L. 130 HP, a pair of triple-throat Webers, most or all of the options. I don't know if any were sold outside the US or not. I believe they were only done for the 68 model year, while Porsche was busy getting the MFI to work on the "S" to meet the new emissions requirements (and still deliver the HP).

They're not bad cars. They've got more "oomph" than a T-spec 911 (which shares its engine with the original 914-6), and they've got more options than most T's got.

What's it worth?? No clue at all. The bumper and fenders, as was already mentioned, are not original so those probably detract somewhat from the value.

--DD
rick 918-S
Sounds like a donor to me. sawzall-smiley.gif
DanT
911L can be an awsome car in the right hands. Terry Zaconne has had one since new. It happens to be a soft rear window Targa. It now has over 385,000 miles on it. It has been to like 30 parades...driven to each one.
He just got back from Hershey and again won his AX class. He has won many many times and has 7 of the last 8 years I believe, plus lots of others.
He usually places in the top ten overall at any AX he enters period. Car has a completely stock engine and GGR spec GP (production) suspension mods.
cars are very nice but like all older Porsches are prone to rust. That may be why the fenders have been replaced.
Correct 130HP claimed by literature.
GWN7
It looked fairly rust free, but I did the PPI with a bic lighter.......if I had a better idea what it might be worth it might be worth going for a second look.
Red-Beard
I would bet it's a 68...
ArtechnikA
the year is significant...

68 == SWB
69 == LWB

an 'L' *should* be '68 only - they were SWB cars. so that'll be your first clue.
note that it's even easier to change a decklid than fenders, and therefore easy to convert a T to an L for the unwary... get VIN and engine numbers...

the vintage race guys like the SWB cars since they're typically the only 911's eligible. they're somewhere between 'nimble' and 'twitchy' especially depending on the state of the bumper weights / twin batteries.

if you need the Excellence numbers let me know, but with significasnt nonoriginal parts (which are often replaced due to rust or collision damage, although there are other plausible reasons...) the value will slip. it's getting very hard to find good SWB body panels.
zymurgist
Look at the buckets under the rear seats. That's a notorious place for rust on early 911's. If the fenders have been replaced, that's a Red Flag O' Rust as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds like it might be a nice car, or has the potential to be one without a lot of work.
boxstr
911L also had the hydropneumatic front suspension. Seems liek everyone swapped it for the Konis. Rust: check the battery boxes and the front suspension mounting points. Also the rear window area. Reach up in the engine compartment and check under the rear window shelf.
CCLIN911PORSCHE
tat2dphreak
pelican has a 911 buying guide too, like the one they did for the 914... good read.
Hawk
Good thread. Just looked over a restored previously rusty 1972 911T. The rust is back after 12 years now so I WALKED.
I'm really in the market for an early body style 911S, no rust, non-race car. Anybody want to sell one to become my garage queen?
-hawk
Root_Werks
I had a 68' 911L in high school. Nice engines. But I agree with what has been said here. In 68' there was basically the T L and S, the L was a carb'd early version of the E I was told. Hence in 69' there was the T E and S. So you are basically getting an early version of a 911E which is also a great driver.

Rust, yeah, you think 914's rust! Check everywhere including the front pan, gas tank support, lower corners of front and rear window and so on.

If it's a 69', then someone probably took the MFI off. Check the engine to see if the MFI pump sprocket is there. idea.gif
GWN7
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 21 2005, 03:12 AM)
the year is significant...

68 == SWB
69 == LWB

an 'L' *should* be '68 only - they were SWB cars. so that'll be your first clue.
note that it's even easier to change a decklid than fenders, and therefore easy to convert a T to an L for the unwary... get VIN and engine numbers...

if you need the Excellence numbers let me know, but with significasnt nonoriginal parts (which are often replaced due to rust or collision damage, although there are other plausible reasons...) the value will slip. it's getting very hard to find good SWB body panels.

"get VIN and engine numbers" where is the VIN located on a 911. It's not on the pillar post as on the 914?

"if you need the Excellence numbers let me know" Yep anyone with an idea of what it might be worth????

I need a base line to start with. I looked on Ebay to see if any had sold there, but no luck...

Owner mentioned a figure, but also said he was willing to talk....

Re: Rust -The carpet was up in the footwell area of the rear seat and it looked not bad.
swood
I'll check out the Bird buying guide too. I'm looking at a '71 T. Is it that much of a dog? What can you do to a stock t to bump it up?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Jul 21 2005, 12:19 PM)
where is the VIN located on a 911. It's not on the pillar post as on the 914?

"if you need the Excellence numbers let me know" Yep

i don't recall when the A-pillar VIN location became US law.
it'll be on the data plate in the front trunk just to the left of the latch receptacle, and it will be on the EPA sticker on the driver's B-pillar just below the door lock -- if cars had EPS stickers in 1968 - i don't recall when that started either...

i'll check Excellence tonight; it'd be silly for me to pull a number outta my a$$ when the proper documentation is available...

L's seem to be niche cars. i've known 3 people who really liked them. they're heavy, like an S, but without the additional power, and they do have the short wheel base.

*probably* the front suspension was changed from the Boge hydropneumatic to something with a more modern ball joint - the weird early 911 ball joints and 2-piece struts are getting very hard to find. the Boge struts were 3.5" brake struts and not infrequently the aluminum calipers were sold off to finance the conversion to torsion bar A-Arms and T (M-caliper...) struts.
TimT
Ive had a number of 911T's they are great cars!!

provided you find one that hasnt been found by the tin-worms you can have a reliable high performance classic.

I used one 911T as a daily driver for years, till a NYC cabby totaled the car.

Getting more oomph out of one of these cars will need you to bring bags of money though.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (swood @ Jul 21 2005, 02:32 PM)
...I'm looking at a '71 T. Is it that much of a dog? What can you do to a stock t to bump it up?

i have a '71E.

T - 125 HP @5800, ~123 lbs-ft torque @ 4200 from 2,2 liters, Zenith or Weber carbs.
'70 was the first year for piston squirters, so that's good. Marelli dizzy less so unless it's been replaced (probable...)

expensive clutch parts - 2 years of the Type 911 Transmission only (early pattern, later flywheel, unique clutch disk & pressure plate.)

what can you do? what can't you do?
a 915 drops right in (you'll need a new mounting plate and shifter tower - or Rennshift) and you should be good up to 3,6. (G50 requires modification of the torsion tube and you'd probably be better off with a newer car...) the oil tank should be updated if you want to take the car and a bigger engine on the track.

i like the LWB/LH cars but they do have their quirks from time to time.
swood
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 21 2005, 10:59 AM)

T - 125 HP @5800, ~123 lbs-ft torque @ 4200 from 2,2 liters, Zenith or Weber carbs.
'70 was the first year for piston squirters, so that's good. Marelli dizzy less so unless it's been replaced (probable...)

expensive clutch parts - 2 years of the Type 911 Transmission only (early pattern, later flywheel, unique clutch disk & pressure plate.)

what can you do? what can't you do?
a 915 drops right in (you'll need a new mounting plate and shifter tower - or Rennshift) and you should be good up to 3,6. (G50 requires modification of the torsion tube and you'd probably be better off with a newer car...) the oil tank should be updated if you want to take the car and a bigger engine on the track.

i like the LWB/LH cars but they do have their quirks from time to time.

Not sure which diz it has. It has less than 100K on it. Stock engine with Rebuilt top end, chain tensioners, wires,plugs,points,cap,rotor,aircraft fuel lines,batteries,ignition switch,alternator,rebuilt carbs,cd unit,fuse blocks,turbo tie rods,flushed brake lines,painted calipers,polished fuchs,comp drivers seat,racing wheel & 3 point harness,stock radio w/am/fm in the glove box,rebuilt pedal cluster w/ brass bushings,bra,clutch cable.

And its a 5 spd.

Sorry for the hijack. rolleyes.gif
GWN7
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 21 2005, 10:49 AM)

i don't recall when the A-pillar VIN location became US law.
it'll be on the data plate in the front trunk just to the left of the latch receptacle, and it will be on the EPA sticker on the driver's B-pillar just below the door lock -- if cars had EPS stickers in 1968 - i don't recall when that started either...

No EPA sticker on the door jam, I looked there....

Thanks if you find the values.
ArtechnikA
coupe, yes ?

poor - 9888
good - 11242
exc - 15050

Targas "about" a grand more.

a car with extensive rust repair and many glass replacement parts may be "beyond poor" so don't go thinking $9900 is your lower bound...

anyway - i don't justify these numbers, and i'm not consulted on their creation - i just report them.

BTW - that's about a $5k increase across the board since 2001.
anthony
Here are the latest numbers from Excellence's price guide (May 2005):

1968 911L
poor $9,888
good $11,242
excellent $15,050

1969 911T
poor $9,379
good $10,663
excellent $14,275

These early cars have really popped up in value so my guess is cars in 8/10 condition would probably fall in closer to the Excellent value. These cars are definitely worth repairing and restoring.

GWN7
Thanks guys....it looks like a road trip is in order for a closer PPI and see how it runs.
swood
QUOTE (anthony @ Jul 21 2005, 03:21 PM)
Here are the latest numbers from Excellence's price guide (May 2005):

What is Excellence saying for a '71 T ?
scotty b
I would suggest that you also take a hard look at the torsion bar housing. I have personally seen 4 cars that had it rusted through, and it is a BITCH to replace. Usually not werth it. Don't think that being a one year car will elevate it to 67-S status, like some people may. It's a nice car biggrin.gif but not a "special" car sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jul 21 2005, 07:05 AM)
911L also had the hydropneumatic front suspension. Seems liek everyone swapped it for the Konis. Rust: check the battery boxes and the front suspension mounting points. Also the rear window area. Reach up in the engine compartment and check under the rear window shelf.
CCLIN911PORSCHE

Nope. Hydropneumatic struts appeared with the 911e in '69 or '70, along with the 14" wheels (Comfort Package.). They were available in the T, as well, from 1970. The 911L is a 1968 only standard 911 with the S level trim package. It has an air injection system driven off the left cam. I don't think the trim package included the uprated shocks and anti roll bar(s) of the 911S. I haven't seen one in years, and I don't recall if the front brakes were vented, but I'm pretty certain the rears weren't. Personally, I think the '68 is a bad year, and I'd avoid one if given a choice of another car. First year for the Sportomatic, BTW. The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
...I'm looking at a '71 T.  Is it that much of a dog?  What can you do to a stock t to bump it up?

i have a '71E.

a 915 drops right in (you'll need a new mounting plate and shifter tower - or Rennshift) and you should be good up to 3,6.

"Drops right in? Right, if you consider beating the tunnel upwards with a BFH "dropping right in". And in the SWB cars, there are axle issues, as well as drivetrain length. Not insurmountable, but there nevertheless. The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 21 2005, 08:48 PM)
...I'm looking at a '71 T.

a 915 drops right in

"Drops right in? Right, if you consider beating the tunnel upwards with a BFH "dropping right in". And in the SWB cars...

there are some clearancing issues i have been advised of.

as the car in question is a '71, it is a LWB car...
Porsche Rescue
68 L had unique one year only vinyl interior trim, sometimes called "elephant hide", on the lower dash and door panels. Also had velour carpet rather than the perlon of the standard car. I once had a soft window 911L targa. I always believed it was a European S with a standard US 911 engine. Mine had no smog pump but it was likely removed before I got the car in 1990.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.