Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subi Transmission Help needed..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
Hey guys, been keepin' my eyes peeled for a transmission to mate to the EG33 flat six subaru engine that I'll be using, and just located the following -

from description: "2015+ WRX transmission etc"

He'll sell me the trans for $400, but he also has stock Subi cable shifter set up, axles, starter and what looks like an ECU (trans ecu??). Should I try to snag anything besides just the transmission?

mepstein
I would grab everything if it’s cheap.
You want the starter and the conversion axles use a Suby cv at the trans stubs so grab the axles for the cv’s.
Literati914
.. good, I'll look to get the starter and output CVs..

So, the ECU looking thing's not gonna be needed then? Just don't want to pay extra for something I wouldn't need. Thx.

OH - and the cable shifter stuff? will those stock items transfer for 914 conversion?

mepstein
I am using the stock engine ecu on my eg33 conversion.
tazz9924
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 23 2021, 01:32 PM) *

I would grab everything if it’s cheap.
You want the starter and the conversion axles use a Suby cv at the trans stubs so grab the axles for the cv’s.

Will it work? are those motors still ej? usually we use early 2000 transmissions
Literati914
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Apr 23 2021, 07:06 PM) *

Will it work? are those motors still ej? usually we use early 2000 transmissions

OOh.. I never heard of needing to use a transmission from any particular years (w/ the EG33), or from a particular engine type. ANYONE KNOW about this before I make a big mistake headbang.gif

76-914
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 23 2021, 01:06 PM) *

Hey guys, been keepin' my eyes peeled for a transmission to mate to the EG33 flat six subaru engine that I'll be using, and just located the following -

from description: "2015+ WRX transmission etc"

He'll sell me the trans for $400, but he also has stock Subi cable shifter set up, axles, starter and what looks like an ECU (trans ecu??). Should I try to snag anything besides just the transmission?

2003+ transmissions became beefier. You won't be able to use the stock Subi shifter set up. The TY754 series transmission don't use an ECU. You will need an ECU from any SVX.
Literati914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 23 2021, 10:02 PM) *

2003+ transmissions became beefier. You won't be able to use the stock Subi shifter set up. The TY754 series transmission don't use an ECU. You will need an ECU from any SVX.

OK. Beefier but will still work I suppose?

Won't bother with the shifter stuff - thanks.

I'll probably be using an after market FI system, I just don't know if the pictured ecu-looking item is transmission specific/necessary or an actual engine ecu. The guy selling this stuff tells me he removed these pieces for an out-of-town customer and installed an STi transmission for him (in his regular WRX).

mgp4591
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 23 2021, 10:35 PM) *

I'll probably be using an after market FI system, I just don't know if the pictured ecu-looking item is transmission specific/necessary or an actual engine ecu. The guy selling this stuff tells me he removed these pieces for an out-of-town customer and installed an STi transmission for him (in his regular WRX).

mgp4591
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 23 2021, 10:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 23 2021, 10:35 PM) *

The ECU won't work...you need a complete aftermarket system or the stock SVX ECU. Axles will work for your axle conversion. I don't know anyone who's using a transmission from something that new... if he's local, take your needed bolt measurements for the trans and line them up with where that trans has them located. Also, is it a 6spd trans? If it is, you'll probably end up losing your trunk because they're bigger in about every respect.
808 WRX
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 23 2021, 09:35 PM) *

The subaru manual transmissions do not use a ECU/computer of any sort.

The 2015+ subaru transmissions with cable shifters are 6-speeds right? Has anyone put one into a 914? Do the 2WD conversion couplers work in the newer 6-speed transmissions?

Literati914
.. here's a pic, click it an then expand it, if interested. Thanks for all the help guys!

IPB Image
mgp4591
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 23 2021, 11:05 PM) *

IPB Image

If you've got the patience and it's all available for only 400 bucks, you might want to pick it up and resell it...make some extra cash for your 914 project! biggrin.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 24 2021, 12:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 23 2021, 11:05 PM) *

IPB Image

If you've got the patience and it's all available for only 400 bucks, you might want to pick it up and resell it...make some extra cash for your 914 project! biggrin.gif

No, he's only willing to let go of the tranny itself for the $400, which is why I'm trying to figure out what if anything else, might come in handy. I'll drop a little more if need be.
808 WRX
Here is some 6-speed info for you to read:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=351451
Literati914
QUOTE(808 WRX @ Apr 24 2021, 01:27 AM) *

Thanks.. in that thread @914subaru wrote (post #4):

"..I haven't driven a 6-speed yet but my thought is if you already have a 5-speed it's not worth the upgrade but if your just starting a project it's worth considering. One advantage is the cable linkage is built into the transmission and you can use the Subaru shift lever."

Hopefully 914suburu will check in here & confirm... but it sounds from the above statement that I should snag the shifter stuff too. confused as usual blink.gif

mgp4591
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 24 2021, 12:51 AM) *

"..I haven't driven a 6-speed yet but my thought is if you already have a 5-speed it's not worth the upgrade but if your just starting a project it's worth considering. One advantage is the cable linkage is built into the transmission and you can use the Subaru shift lever."

Hopefully 914suburu will check in here & confirm... but it sounds from the above statement that I should snag the shifter stuff too. confused as usual blink.gif

Okay! Then grab the trans, the shifter, and the axles...that's a pretty good deal I'd say!
mgp4591
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 24 2021, 01:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 24 2021, 12:51 AM) *

Okay! Then grab the trans, the shifter, and the axles...that's a pretty good deal I'd say!

Oh, and the starter too...
Literati914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 24 2021, 02:42 AM) *

..Okay! Then grab the trans, the shifter, and the axles...that's a pretty good deal I'd say!

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 24 2021, 02:42 AM) *

..oh, and the starter too...

Looks like maybe a separate master cylinder is there too.. I haven't got as far as researching what clutch set up to use... do I need it?

76-914
Ross tol me that there are 2 different 6 speed transmissions. The one he is using is the same length as the 5 speed. That is all I know about this 2nd 6 speed transmission so far. Get the axles too since yours has the female output flanges. Besides, the OEM Subaru CV's are far superior to any Chinese aftermarket CV's. You can use either the Subaru or 914 half shafts and have one end machined at Dutchman's. beerchug.gif
808 WRX
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 23 2021, 11:51 PM) *

I haven't seen anyone who has installed a 6-speed yet. So there are lots of unknowns. But if you are going to try, you should get the front axles as 76-914 mentioned.

Chances are the cables won't be the correct length. The shifter in the subaru would be pretty close to the transmission while in a 914 it would be in front of the engine and halfway into the passenger compartment. You might be able to make the shifter work (with longer cables) if the cables enter the shifter from the rear. On the other hand, having the stock set up might help you figure out/design a new setup.

Also, there is a different starter that has the solenoid off to the side instead of on top, which gives you a little more room so you don't have to cut your trunk.

You do need the slave cylinder (the dark thing next to the master cylinder) but you'll have to decide between new vs. used. I don't think I have seen anyone using a subaru master cylinder.

The used transmission mount might be good for mocking things up if it is cheap.
Literati914
TY751VB9CA is the model.

Literati914
Update: I haven't puled the trigger on the 2015 6-speed yet, 'cause the seller doubled the $400 price for adding the extra items (to $800 total - more than I'd like to drop). I still may just snag the trans by itself for $400. BTW, that trans has 78K miles.

I've also found a 2001 5-speed with a 3.90 final drive (good for freeway speed), no issues according to the seller, $180 but it has 150k miles.

Is 150K miles typically too much on a Subi transmission? Maybe I should pass on both? ...Thoughts? thx.

mgp4591
My trans in my 2000 Impreza has 270K on it with no issues whatsoever.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 25 2021, 10:39 PM) *

Update: I haven't puled the trigger on the 2015 6-speed yet, 'cause the seller doubled the $400 price for adding the extra items (to $800 total - more than I'd like to drop). I still may just snag the trans by itself for $400. BTW, that trans has 78K miles.

I've also found a 2001 5-speed with a 3.90 final drive (good for freeway speed), no issues according to the seller, $180 but it has 150k miles.

Is 150K miles typically too much on a Subi transmission? Maybe I should pass on both? ...Thoughts? thx.

A WRX trans is preferable because it's beefier than the standard types so you'd want to consider that.
76-914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 25 2021, 11:25 PM) *

A WRX trans is preferable because it's beefier than the standard types so you'd want to consider that.

True. They also have clutches that are pull type vs. push type. As mentioned above, starting in 2003 they went with wider gears which made them a bit stronger. But since our cars are so light I doubt it makes much difference. beerchug.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 26 2021, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 25 2021, 11:25 PM) *

True. They also have clutches that are pull type vs. push type. As mentioned above, starting in 2003 they went with wider gears which made them a bit stronger. But since our cars are so light I doubt it makes much difference. beerchug.gif

In that case, does a person want the pull, or push type?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.