Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint codes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
AzGuy238
Hi, I'm kinda new to the 914 restoration hobby. I recently purchased a 1971 914-6 that has the valances and rockers painted very poorly (looks like a cheap rattle can). Are there any prefered colors or paint codes I should use in repainting these. I'd like them to be as close to original as possible. Thanks
Cairo94507
QUOTE(AzGuy238 @ May 17 2021, 12:25 PM) *

Hi, I'm kinda new to the 914 restoration hobby. I recently purchased a 1971 914-6 that has the valances and rockers painted very poorly (looks like a cheap rattle can). Are there any prefered colors or paint codes I should use in repainting these. I'd like them to be as close to original as possible. Thanks

Hi @AzGuy238 - I have a '71 Six as well, 0372. We refinished my rockers and valances with a satin black. They do not have any of the rubberized finishes you see on some cars. BTW, what is your VIN?
Cheers,
Michael
aturboman
I just went through this process on my early 1970 914-6.

Rear valance inner finish is original only re-painted out side was re-textured and re-painted.

Both my original rockers and front valance had a thin coat of texture on them; light tan color similar to 911 fuel tanks only much lighter in coverage.

The texture was duplicated with Wurth body Schutz in tan and painted with SEM satin black trim paint from a gun.

A notable difference is that the rockers have a finer texture than the valances.

Also I have an original paint rocker from a 1975 car that has no texture so it appears they changed during production undoubtedly to save money.

With the re-plated original hardware they are like new.

A lot of work to get them right but the results are stunning in person, photos don't do them justice.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
aturboman
Here is the rear valance backside before painting, after pressure washing.

You can clearly see the texture from the factory.

Also a comparison of an early and late 6 rear valance; later versions have the reinforcing ribs

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
StarBear
I have a 74 - original owner and neither rockers nor valences have the textured external surface. Redoing the left side rocker this winter. I've used Wurth Satin Black as they don't "pop" as much since I want the eye to focus on the nice Zambezi Green. beerchug.gif
aturboman
I think the texture was definitely relegated to the early model years, it is well documented that Porsche tried to reduce costs as the 914 line went on.

It would be interesting to find an original owner 1971 & 72 to see when the texture was phased out.
wonkipop
if its any help.

this is my 74.
original paint all round.

would describe the valence and rockers as a very fine sort of orange peel.
some kind of schutz.

bunpers are kind of the same but the orange peel is less fine and "larger" dimpling.
which ends up being smoother.

i figure both are some kind of stone guard paint.
aturboman
Nice, thanks
StarBear
Yes, I have that on my bumper metal too but not the valances nor rockers.
targa72e
I have a pretty original 73 that had painted bumpers. The bumpers and rockers are pretty much as described light orange peal texture.

john
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.