Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Steering Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob-O
Just a quick question. Did any of the factory 914 steering wheels come without ‘finger groves’? It seems like maybe the Momo Prototipo and modern Porsche models have steering wheels without them.

I’m considering having my steering wheel recovered. My wheel is the late model that looks like leather but is really just type of rubber/foam material. I’m not sure that material has to come off (or even what’s underneath) when the wheel is recovered. But if it does need to come off then maybe a wheel without ridges could be made.

Any input is appreciated.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Rob-O @ May 19 2021, 07:05 PM) *

Just a quick question. Did any of the factory 914 steering wheels come without ‘finger groves’? It seems like maybe the Momo Prototipo and modern Porsche models have steering wheels without them.

I’m considering having my steering wheel recovered. My wheel is the late model that looks like leather but is really just type of rubber/foam material. I’m not sure that material has to come off (or even what’s underneath) when the wheel is recovered. But if it does need to come off then maybe a wheel without ridges could be made.

Any input is appreciated.

To my knowledge they all had finger grooves.

If you remove the foam you will have a steel ring about 10mm in diameter. You may bebetter off starting with a hard plastic wheel if you are covering it with leather.
johnhora
Rob...it's a round steel rim under the rubber/plastic....I think I have a picture or maybe even a bare wheel....if your rubber material is not loose and twisting you can have it recovered.
Rob-O
Thanks John and Bruce. I imagined it was a steel rim under there. Just never wanted to destroy a wheel to find put for sure.

I plan to send this off to Dallas Steering Wheels. They did an awesome job on my ‘86 944 Turbo wheel. But they don’t paint so I’m going to have to get the metal portion of the 914 wheel repainted before I send my tenet wheel off to them.
johnhora
here you go...this is what it looks like at the core....

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Yea, don't pull off the foam. It makes a good base for leather.
Though you might want to trim back the foam on the spokes before you paint it. Otherwise the covered spoke part comes out a bit long.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rob-O @ May 20 2021, 10:27 AM) *

Thanks John and Bruce. I imagined it was a steel rim under there. Just never wanted to destroy a wheel to find put for sure.

I plan to send this off to Dallas Steering Wheels. They did an awesome job on my ‘86 944 Turbo wheel. But they don’t paint so I’m going to have to get the metal portion of the 914 wheel repainted before I send my tenet wheel off to them.

Dallas Steering Wheels did all of our 914s. Mine was thick padded, and you can't feel the finger dimples on it.

The other two are just leather over the hard plastic. You can feel them in there.

Clay
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 20 2021, 08:53 AM) *

Though you might want to trim back the foam on the spokes before you paint it. Otherwise the covered spoke part comes out a bit long.

That's a great tip Mark. beerchug.gif
Rob-O
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 20 2021, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ May 20 2021, 10:27 AM) *

Dallas Steering Wheels did all of our 914s. Mine was thick padded, and you can't feel the finger dimples on it.

The other two are just leather over the hard plastic. You can feel them in there.

Clay

Thanks Clay. I remember seeing the wheel in one car but not sure I saw the thick padding. Maybe I did and just don’t recall that. After having the stock wheel back on for over a year I have come to enjoy it. But it would be cool (to me) to have a thicker wheel and no finger dimples. It sounds like keeping the foam is the right thing to do so just getting some padding and leather should be enough.
Rob-O
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 20 2021, 07:53 AM) *

Mark do you mean trim the foam on the spokes back so that after painting the wheel and putting the horn pad back on there is room for the horn pad to move? I thought about what to do there. I was afraid that with the foam that if that just got covered with leather, the leather would then ‘end’ just a bit closer to the center of the wheel, potentially causing interference with the horn pad.
Rob-O
QUOTE(johnhora @ May 20 2021, 07:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Awesome, thank you for that!! biggrin.gif

Is this your wheel? I swear I’ve seen this picture before. Part of a post where the wheel was stripped so the dish could be made deeper? I may have to do a search and see how that was repadded.
mepstein
QUOTE(Rob-O @ May 20 2021, 11:55 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 20 2021, 07:53 AM) *

Mark do you mean trim the foam on the spokes back so that after painting the wheel and putting the horn pad back on there is room for the horn pad to move? I thought about what to do there. I was afraid that with the foam that if that just got covered with leather, the leather would then ‘end’ just a bit closer to the center of the wheel, potentially causing interference with the horn pad.

Yes. You can always talk with Dallas custom to confirm but I found the spokes will be a bit long unless you cut back the foam. Do it before you repaint.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Rob-O @ May 20 2021, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(johnhora @ May 20 2021, 07:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Awesome, thank you for that!! biggrin.gif

Is this your wheel? I swear I’ve seen this picture before. Part of a post where the wheel was stripped so the dish could be made deeper? I may have to do a search and see how that was repadded.

Is this the thread?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ering&st=40

Oscar
Rob-O
@ValcoOscar that is the thread I was thinking about but I didn’t see that particular picture in your thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.