Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Neewbie Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alive_75
Good morning 914 community. I just picked up my first 914, its a 1975 Silver in good condition. I am finding out that 1975 does not require emissions in California so I am conflicted with refurbishing the EFI system or installing carburetors. What are your thoughts? Attached is a picture of the engine bay and it looks a mess, I would like to get carburetors in there but I dont know how bad it will affect the resale value.
Also, I will be doing brakes because the car has sat for 31 years and they will need to be upgraded. What s a good bolt on upgrade for the braking and suspension? I hear that some 911 parts will fit and also the e21 320i brakes are a good option. I just don't know what will be the easiest or cost effective upgrade.

Thank you all in advance, I look forward to getting my first Porsche on the road not just on the road to recovery biggrin.gif .

Superhawk996
welcome.png

Looking forward to seeing another one back on the road.

Brakes will need restoration after sitting that long but I woudn't immediately jump to assumption they need "upgrading". Stock brakes are very good. Don't let size and/or solid rotors fool you. This is only a 2000 lb vehicle.

Shivers
Here you go dude, I learned all I wanted to know here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728

For resale, even though I like my webers, I'd modify the stock injection
SirAndy
- While certainly dirty, it appears all the FI parts are there. I'd say give everything a thorough cleaning and stick with the FI.

- Same goes for the brakes. No need to "upgrade" anything if you can get it in good working order. PMB is your goto place for 914 brakes.

- Have you looked for rust?

idea.gif

PS: I used to live in Montclair ...

welcome.png

SirAndy
QUOTE(Alive_75 @ May 20 2021, 11:26 AM) *
... the car has sat for 31 years ...

Also, please don't try and "see if it turns over". After sitting for so long, make sure you don't have water/corrosion in the cylinders (borescope is an invaluable tool here) and at a minimum change the oil and remove any sludge before you ever try to turn the engine.
shades.gif

brant
I agree with above.

it looks like an L-jet 1.8
you'll have a better running car, more useable, easier to start, and with more resale value if you stick with the factory fuel injection

the motor also does not have the correct cam shaft to support a carb
sure it will run... but no horsepower gain... fuel stink, and less gas mileage and value if you convert it.

I've owned lots of carb'd 914's
don't do it unless you rebuild the full motor and can actually gain something.

regarding brakes.
some like the bmw caliper
but I do not...

its not stock
it overwhelms the heat sink of the stock rotor
it provides no performance advantage over a rebuilt stock system

(people think it improves their brakes.... but only in comparison to a stock system that is needing rebuild... so yes it works better than worn out stock... but it does not work better than a rebuilt stock brake system)

spend your brake money on pads and tires.
that is the low hanging fruit for braking...

and if you don't want to rebuild them yourself... not hard at all
you can buy from PMB and they will be top quality... with full rebuild and even re-plaiting....

914sgofast2
I would delete the catalytic converter if ithas one. I would also delete the egr system. If you have the money, time and patience, then I would search for the parts (ecu, dizzy, and mps) from a 1973 year 2 liter motor since they had the least amount of emission controls on the 2 liter engines.
930cabman
Welcome aboard, you will find the conversations here are very helpful getting and keeping you new 914 rockin. I also have a "new" 1975 914 from the West coast listed as a "rust free project". I considered utilizing the stock FI system, but given the complexity, number of electrical connections, sensors, ECU, ... I ditched it for a twin Weber setup. Less than $800. and you are rolling. There were several modifications to the linkage, but nothing big. Is the condition of the engine known? compression?

Best of luck
MM1
welcome.png You've found the right place - good luck!
popcorn[1].gif
iankarr
welcome.png
You're in the right place. This community is amazing.

I made a series on 914s for newbies which you may find helpful.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmCYkBdj...PWMX9ecEK-qsKZs

Also a bunch of other content on 914s on the channel as well..

horizontally-opposed
welcome.png

And congrats on getting a 914!

You've definitely come to the right place, and are already getting a lot of good advice. I'd rebuild the stock injection, or find a 2.0 runner with working injection and rebuild your engine when/as you wish.

Also agree with the advice on the stock brake system. Unless you go well beyond 100 hp, or add super grippy tires, the stock system is very good when it's sorted.

You've also got what may be the biggest, most vibrant 914 community in a single location on planet earth. Just incredible resources. And then there's the rest of our merry lot. I won't name names, but I suppose they'll either be along to welcome you—or you'll spot their names over and over in threads here.
wonkipop
well, i love 1.8s.
and it might be dirty, but that engine does not appear to be a big mess
looks fairly intact.

depends what you are interested in.
but......... 1.8s are what i like to think of as avante garde.
not powerful, but definitely at the front edge when it comes to industrial archeology.
its a light car anyway, which is half the fun, as a form of "power".

its up to you what you want to make of it.
beerchug.gif

i'm with sir andy and brant with their advice.
in the end its your car.....its your choice.
but even the base car with its wimpy engine is special.

the happiest 914 is the one with the smallest amount of built in rust.
take note of sir andy asking the question.
Cairo94507
welcome.png You are over the hurdle. You have what appears to be a decent 914 and it looks as if no one has messed with it before. I too am in the keep the original FI and brakes.

First, I would begin with a chassis evaluation to make sure you do not have any major rust that needs addressing first. All of our cars have/had rust and it is the biggest hurdle to overcome.

If you have the ability and motivation, I would drop the motor/transaxle and do a thorough clean up. Then you can check the motor out on a stand to make sure it is good to go. Replace all the vacuum lines, plugs, wires, valve adjust, etc. Also good time to assess the clutch. As for brakes, PMB Performance is the way to go. Get all 4 calipers rebuilt, replace the soft lines and maybe the master cylinder. Rotors are cheap, so that would be a great time to do that too.

Most of all, have fun with the car. Start a restoration thread as you begin to get it ready to return to the road and post pictures of your progress. People will chime in with suggestions or assistance as needed. Welcome and enjoy. beerchug.gif

wonkipop
if its sat for 31 years you can add suspension bushings to your list.
its likely that car has front and rear sway bars - bushings will be shot too.
probably the shocks. you can do all that after it is proven to run.

it might still have original clutch, or might have a replacement clutch of original type with rubber core given how long ago it was parked. if so you will drive about 3 miles before the core implodes. rubber will have disintegrated with age.

entire fuel system of hoses etc will be shot.

a lot of vacuum lines will have gone hard, maybe not all.
throttle body gasket will have gone hard.

injectors will be gone. you struggle to find original injectors.
guys here know what to sub and where from for a 1.8.

fuel pump - will bleed profusely if it even activates.

all that comes after what sir andy says about taking care before turning the motor over. depending on what climate/humidity the engine might be fine inside. you never know. a/c vw engines down here in aus, parked up dry, last forever.

as others advise re L jet fitted to 1.8s, it is a simpler system that D Jet and not too hard to get to the bottom of.

ECU or brain is military spec stuff - overengineered german conservatism. takes a lot to kill one of those off. should be ok unless its been submerged in water or been in a tropical jungle.

and you can slightly hot rod a 1.8 to make it breath better as i have discovered from guys here who do it. very subtle mods to the throttle body. brilliant stuff and probably better than carbs to make it brighter.

----------

as an aside - an interesting piece of evidence lying around for mr b ( @JeffBowlsby ) to see in the images. namely the charcoal cannister plumbing for a 1.8.

the can looks like its lying loose in the engine when it should be fixed on to a clip or mounting near the ECU or battery tray. but its there.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(iankarr @ May 20 2021, 06:39 PM) *

welcome.png
You're in the right place. This community is amazing.

I made a series on 914s for newbies which you may find helpful.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmCYkBdj...PWMX9ecEK-qsKZs

Also a bunch of other content on 914s on the channel as well..

Hey Ian, Quick question....Any Idea when part 6 of the 2056 build will come out on you tube? Eagerly awaiting....
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Alive_75 @ May 20 2021, 11:26 AM) *

Good morning 914 community. I just picked up my first 914, its a 1975 Silver in good condition. I am finding out that 1975 does not require emissions in California so I am conflicted with refurbishing the EFI system or installing carburetors. What are your thoughts? Attached is a picture of the engine bay and it looks a mess, I would like to get carburetors in there but I dont know how bad it will affect the resale value.
Also, I will be doing brakes because the car has sat for 31 years and they will need to be upgraded. What s a good bolt on upgrade for the braking and suspension? I hear that some 911 parts will fit and also the e21 320i brakes are a good option. I just don't know what will be the easiest or cost effective upgrade.

Thank you all in advance, I look forward to getting my first Porsche on the road not just on the road to recovery biggrin.gif .

welcome.png You will find a wealth of help and information here. All the members are helpful and legit 914 lovers. Its great that you asked for opinions on your car, only drawback, you might get a hundred different answers. Thats the fun of the 914 and the folks here . drunk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.