Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Pressure Regulator location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
So I just ordered some new brake lines from PMB. I don't believe the girl on the phone understood what I was asking for and ultimately shipped my what I already have in place. I understand that the setup for an early one has the location moved far to the drivers side which is the ideal location for a 6 conversion. Mine was right in the way of the oem 6 mount and needed to be removed. Do all late model cars have the regulator mounted close to the middle or are some about 12 inches towards the driver side. I thought mine had a weird mounting location, but maybe it is normal.

Has no-one created this as a package for relocation of the regulator? Maybe everyone switches to an early style or just uses an early 914 for the conversion biggrin.gif
76-914
My '70 is over towards the drivers side. beerchug.gif
brubou
My '73 is over towards the driver side also.
Superhawk996
73' -- Drivers side. @nditiz1

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ May 20 2021, 05:14 PM) *

Do all late model cars have the regulator mounted close to the middle or are some about 12 inches towards the driver side. I thought mine had a weird mounting location, but maybe it is normal.

I think that is where all late model regulators were placed. I don't think yours was abnormal.

She must have misunderstood what you were looking for. PMB have always been good to correct issues for me. Call them back and I'm sure they will straighten it out.

4 lines affected (with respect to starting with an early regulator (not yours) and what lines you need):

1) left side hard line from regulator tee
2) right side hard line from regulator tee
3) Line though bulkhead from tunnel union to the 90 degree elbow
4) Line from 90 degree elbow to the Early Regulator
Note: you would need the 90 degree elbow too since you don't have one. I lost mine, 914Werke supplied me a used one for cheap.

Your car had the late model regulator location close to center of car.

I don't think there is a clean lines only "conversion" to use the late regulator in the early regulator postion.

I think you would also need to convert to the early regulator to use the early lines. The regulator body looks exactly the same but if I recall correctly the ports are drilled in different orientatations between early and late. Overall to me. it appeared to be a cost savings for the late regulator becuse they were able to eliminate 1 hard line and 1 elbow fitting.

I would bet PMB would allow you to submit a late regulator core for rebuild but they would be willing to send you a rebuilt early regulator. Alternately buy an early core via WTB and send to PMB for rebuilt or use as-is if you can find a nice clean early regulator.
nditiz1
As always thank you Phil.

I bet this is one reason why people just say @#$% it and put a T fitting. It is out of the way and they just use the same lines.

Maybe I can mount it where the early one usually goes and get PMB to send me the two lines for the early which has a short driver side vs longer passenger side, then run to the LAS and get a short piece of line and bend my own. I have a flaring tool and pipe bender.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ May 20 2021, 06:10 PM) *

I bet this is one reason why people just say @#$% it and put a T fitting. It is out of the way and they just use the same lines.

Maybe I can mount it where the early one usually goes and get PMB to send me the two lines for the early which has a short driver side vs longer passenger side, then run to the LAS and get a short piece of line and bend my own. I have a flaring tool and pipe bender.

I can appreciate the frustration. You're doing the right thing by keeping the regulator. As someone that did brakes as a day job for years, a T fitting is just a bad idea for so many reasons that have been covered elsewhere.

You're proposal to just make the "conversion" line from the tunnel on out, could work.

1) Make sure you use ISO bubble flare and metric fittings. Not same as SAE flares or fitings.

2) I think you will want to make that line to the regulator in two pieces with a 90 degree elbow to turn the corner once it exits the bulkhead. I don't think you can make it all as one piece and still wiggle & contort it into the tunnel to the union. Could be wrong on that - you're pretty creative!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.