Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermostat Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StarBear
74 1.8L question: My thermostat wire is just about broken (1 strand left) so going to replace it. While under there, figure I might replace the thermostat bellows, too, as it's the original one (PN 021119159A).
Ordered a replacement, a Wahler PN 056121113A. Fitment says it fits, but I don't see any attachment bolt thread nor how to attach the wire. Does it have to be modified? Another case of "it should" fit? confused24.gif
IMHO, it looks more like a coolant fluid thermostat, without attachment and with sealing O-ring.
Of course, my other option for now is just to replace the cable wire and leave well enough alone but would like to carry a spare that COULD, if needed, be used without a machine shop....
Photos (we all know how we LOVE photos):
Original type: Click to view attachment
Replacement: Click to view attachment
Replacement (Full): Click to view attachment
Shivers
biggrin.gif Hahahahaha!
JeffBowlsby
He-he-he-he. It dont fit. Deception.

If your T-stat is functional why replace it?

Here is one solution: http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/Porsche_9...stat_parts.html

AA has another that has good reviews.

Check Sierra Madre and the other sources.

StarBear
Thanks, all! That was fast! piratenanner.gif
Trusted my teener instinct on this one, but RELIED on experts like you.
Yes, saw the other AA alternate part, but says it needs a wire attachment modifications.
Going to keep ole' reliable for now; going for a hot afternoon shakedown cruise to prep for upcoming Northeast Gathering! driving.gif
Superhawk996
happy11.gif

I'm going to assume that you are serious.

Just re-use use your original. Cable is easily replaced.

Original thermostat is NLA and the aftermarket replacments don't fail safe like OEM is supposed to. Keep OEM as long as the bellows isn't cracked and it's still working.

No need for spare thermostat to be carried around. If you're OEM thermostat failed with the cooling flaps closed (very rare) - you could always clip the control wire and volia - the flaps pop open and you're good to go. Warmup will be delayed and the thermostat could then be replaced at earliest opportunity.
iankarr
agree.gif
this ⬆
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 26 2021, 06:31 AM) *

Original thermostat is NLA and the aftermarket replacments don't fail safe like OEM is supposed to. Keep OEM as long as the bellows isn't cracked and it's still working.

The Awesome Powdercoat ones linked above do fail safe like the originals.

No need for spare thermostat to be carried around. If you're OEM thermostat failed with the cooling flaps closed (very rare) - you could always clip the control wire and volia - the flaps pop open and you're good to go. Warmup will be delayed and the thermostat could then be replaced at earliest opportunity.

agree.gif If using an OEM style with fail safe, carrying a spare is overkill.
mepstein
Cable is the same as a bike derailleur inner cable. Get one at your local bike shop.
StarBear
Great advice all. Agree, no need to carry a spare. Thanks ever so much!
Still learning after all these years.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(StarBear @ May 26 2021, 08:17 AM) *

74 1.8L question: My thermostat wire is just about broken (1 strand left) so going to replace it. While under there, figure I might replace the thermostat bellows, too, as it's the original one (PN 021119159A).
Ordered a replacement, a Wahler PN 056121113A. Fitment says it fits, but I don't see any attachment bolt thread nor how to attach the wire. Does it have to be modified? Another case of "it should" fit? confused24.gif
IMHO, it looks more like a coolant fluid thermostat, without attachment and with sealing O-ring.
Of course, my other option for now is just to replace the cable wire and leave well enough alone but would like to carry a spare that COULD, if needed, be used without a machine shop....
Photos (we all know how we LOVE photos):
Original type: Click to view attachment
Replacement: Click to view attachment
Replacement (Full): Click to view attachment

You should have ordered a water pump too. av-943.gif
StarBear
lol-2.gif
Jonathan Livesay
If you do need a new bellows the Awesome Powdercoat one is just like the original and so is their mounting bracket. I got one and they are kind of awesome, and yes a Shimano/Sram derailleur cable works just as well as anything else for probably less than 1/2 the bucks. Just don't get a Campagnolo derailleur cable because they cost twice what the real ones do. dry.gif
euro911
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 26 2021, 07:55 AM) *
Cable is the same as a bike derailleur inner cable. Get one at your local bike shop.
agree.gif
rfinegan
Has anyone retrofitted alternate (original na)Thermostat or mounted in a remote location? My headers are in the location of the thermostat . I am currently running without a thermostat :-o
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.