Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT 2010 Cayman Headlight Frame
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cwpeden
Off topic - some mid-engine content.

Helping girlfriend do some minor repairs to her 2010, basically providing tools.

The fastener for the frame (part 11 in image) is attached to the body and then holds the frame.
Does anyone know what kind of torque is on the big nut(19mm)that holds the plastic frame?

Does it require Loctite if its not that tight, approx. 5mm thread.

PO had been in there and monkeyed with the rig so not sure what stock arrangement is. Any advice is welcome.

Click to view attachment
914_teener
QUOTE(cwpeden @ May 26 2021, 11:23 AM) *

Off topic - some mid-engine content.

Helping girlfriend do some minor repairs to her 2010, basically providing tools.

The fastener for the frame (part 11 in image) is attached to the body and then holds the frame.
Does anyone know what kind of torque is on the big nut(19mm)that holds the plastic frame?

Does it require Loctite if its not that tight, approx. 5mm thread.

PO had been in there and monkeyed with the rig so not sure what stock arrangement is. Any advice is welcome.

Click to view attachment

First off that is the wrong PET for a 2010 or 987.2 which is the same as a 987.1

The nut if I recall turns a cam and the whole assembly slides out....a unique design for sure. I can dig up the PET if I have it on another computer. There is no Loctite required for sure. You just have to make sure the light assembly is engaged into the cam and then tighten it to suck the headlight assem. in. Then make sure it is adjusted.

edit: Should have read your post on position 11....don't think any locktite is required. Still the wrong PET though.
cwpeden
Thanks,

Knew it was the wrong PET. For illustration purposes

#16 then.

Nut on underside to attach #16 to body is knurled. How is it tightened? Or will it be obvious one we have it apart?

Click to view attachment
914_teener
It will become obvious to you when you have it apart. I was nervous the first time I took mine out. It is an feat of engineering for sure and once the three points are in you just tighten it by hand. You don't want to overtighten it for sure as I'm sure you know the cost to replace it is well...very Porsche.

It is way more tricky getting the headlight assembly into the cam mechanisim IMHO, especially the first time.

Good luck.
cwpeden
Girlfriends car, I'm barely allowed to touch it.
She may ask me for help once she cant figure it out, but that's unlikely. She's pretty resourceful.
914_teener
You are a lucky man then. There is nothing like a interdependent woman.

She is a keeper. I happened to be lucky enough to marry a woman like that.

Good luck...my advice then is to provide assistance when asked.

Hard to do but.....worth it.
914_teener
Just a thought....and just a thought.

When I first got my 06 I was very dissapointed in the light output from the stock H lights bulbs. Don't know how she feels about this but if they are not Bi Xenon units I've always thought the stock outputs suck for the Halogens.
I ended up replacing them with Hi output Halogen bulbs which don't last as long but the output was twice the stock bulbs.

If you have the Bi-Xenon then never mind. This is one aspect of my Cayman that I was disappointed in. Probably the only thing I didn't like.

As you may know....the LED kits for these asemblies are big bucks.

Anyway...try to keep your mouth shut.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(cwpeden @ May 26 2021, 12:57 PM) *

Girlfriends car, I'm barely allowed to touch it.
She may ask me for help once she cant figure it out, but that's unlikely. She's pretty resourceful.

My girlfriend wouldn't let me touch it so I got a new girlfriend smlove2.gif
KELTY360
[/quote]
My girlfriend wouldn't let me touch it so I got a new girlfriend smlove2.gif
[/quote]

Doesn’t sound like she was really your girlfriend. shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.