Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 185/65/15 with 7x15 Cookies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Anyone running this combo?
mepstein
Why?

That would be a very narrow tire with 7's.

Ricer Porsche?
IronHillRestorations
I’d probably go with 205/60’s on 7”s
fixer34
I'm thinking the same. I've had 185/70-15's on stock steelies on my -6 since day one. Seem to fit and handle well. Have just about a finger's gap between the tire and rear fender lip.
914Sixer
What's the offset on the 7 inch wheels? Most 7" wheel/tire combo's do not fit with out wheel well modifications.
Tdskip
Thanks for the responses. Asking because my other 914 with 205’s feels over-tired.

Looks like I should put those on my Fuchs.
horizontally-opposed
185/70R15 on 15x7 Fuchs are common (and were in period), so not sure this would be a problem?

You're a bit low on OD, but not hugely so, as a 195/65R15 would be back up to the right OD. If the tire maker lists 185/65R15 as approved up to a 7-inch wheel, I might try it.

Quick search of tires in 185/70 and 185/65 shows rim width minimums of 4.5 to 5.5, and maximums of 6 to 7 inches. Definitely worth checking. Odd that Vredestein approves wider wheels than Pirelli and Riken.
Racer
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 1 2021, 09:13 PM) *

What's the offset on the 7 inch wheels? Most 7" wheel/tire combo's do not fit with out wheel well modifications.

7x15 Cookies are ET 23.3, just like 7x15 Fuchs (excluding 911R 7x15s) .In period, 185/70 and up to 215/60 were common tires for the 7x15 wheel. Balloon tires compared to today. I've always thought a 195/60-15 looked good on a 914. A balance between the low 50 series and the balloon 70-80 series of the day.

Likely not an overly popular choice (185/65-15) but go with what you want or what is available.

Mayne
I have 195/55 on my car at the moment because they were free new tires. They look a little small to me but not bad. I was planning to run 205/50, so similar.
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 1 2021, 09:53 PM) *

Thanks for the responses. Asking because my other 914 with 205’s feels over-tired.

Looks like I should put those on my Fuchs.

Should have said 4 lug Fuchs.
garrettlee2
I’ve been thinking the same thing about putting narrow tires on my car. It has more grip then I want. I want it to be a little loose to have fun at a lower limit, maybe even some over stead. Does anyone have experience with a stock 914? Does it have body role? And will tall side walls allow it to move?
Racer
My last /4 had two sets of wheels.

4-bolt fuchs with Toyo RA1s in 205-50-15
4-bolt Mahles with vredestein 165-15.

This made for an obvious night/day difference in ride quality and cornerning ability. Both were fun.. but the RA1s were fast. Sharp turn in. No sidewall wallow. Just quick directional change and large quantities of drip in the dry.

The 165s were fun because the threshold was so much lower and the ride quality was better. They looks period correct and it is kinda funny to see such a narrow tire on a car, especially these days.
Tdskip
Thanks for all of he responses and considerations. Appreciate the feedback gentlemen.
wonkipop
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Jun 2 2021, 07:59 AM) *

I’ve been thinking the same thing about putting narrow tires on my car. It has more grip then I want. I want it to be a little loose to have fun at a lower limit, maybe even some over stead. Does anyone have experience with a stock 914? Does it have body role? And will tall side walls allow it to move?

i have a 1.8 74, it was overtyred due to limited options in the 90s.
b f goodrich T/A 195 whatever profile.
horrible.

i tyred up with 165 michelin XAS about a year ago.
i love it.
it rolls into corners and i guess it slides, it feels like it.
for sure this is a softer compound that whatever they used in the 60s/70s.

depends what you have. a wimpy 1.8 is just right on a very good quality skinny.
i'm really digging it.

going to take it to skid pan soon and find out all about it.
but i think its very good. i am dead certain what i have is a car that slides a bit, rather than gripping and gripping way beyond what it can power out of - which is where it was before years ago.

i know people put vreds on for the look, but they are not in the same league as the michies. i know guys running the michie 165s on 912s and some early 911 long noses that still actually get driven. they said i would not be disappointed. i'm not.

but you might want to step up a bit if you are putting out more horsepower. beerchug.gif

,,,,,,,farken well expensive but.
Tdskip
Thanks for the response, totally agree that too much tire can remove a toss-able / playful driving experience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.