Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tube leaking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Medtner3
I have persistent leak at this little tube and it seems to seep gas from either the center of the nut or perhaps from the threads of the nut and fuel tank, I have replaced copper washer and still leaks. Should there be two washers woudl that stop the leak one on either side of the washer that seems welded on to this little tube or just the one washer? the copper washer goes between the tube and bottom of the tank ? what about the filter is there an addiitonal washer?

Should I replace the tube and the nut and new washers again

Is there anything like a pipe dope that I could put on the threads that would help?

Cannot seem to stop the extremely slow leak. It did not leak for months and then started again. Impossible to tighten the nut further than it is already

Click to view attachment
cary
Leak around tube or thru the threads ?
I stack filter, washer (copper, would prefer fiber), tube and nut.
You can crank it pretty tight.
Are you trying to do it in the car?

Sealant. We had leak issues on Matt's fuel injection.
We went with ARP thread sealant and it stopped the leaks.
My .02c.
jrmdir
Good timing. I'm about to put my tank back together after cleaning and have been wondering the same thing (sealant or not).

But first, I believe the copper washer may be part of your problem. There are two tube fittings and the one pictured appears to be the outlet supply to the engine. If that's correct then it fits up into the strainer screen that includes an aluminum crush ring. Then, according to the link below and other sources, there is supposed to be a red fiber washer.

https://914rubber.com/fuel-strainer-screen-for-porsche-914

If not already you might want to extract the screen (which, if like mine is probably partly blocked) and get a new one with a fresh crush washer. I ordered one of these and it arrives Monday so I can update on fit.

Ron
Jamie
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jun 5 2021, 11:52 AM) *

Good timing. I'm about to put my tank back together after cleaning and have been wondering the same thing (sealant or not).

But first, I believe the copper washer may be part of your problem. There are two tube fittings and the one pictured appears to be the outlet supply to the engine. If that's correct then it fits up into the strainer screen that includes an aluminum crush ring. Then, according to the link below and other sources, there is supposed to be a red fiber washer.

If not already you might want to extract the screen (which, if like mine is probably partly blocked) and get a new one with a fresh crush washer. I ordered one of these and it arrives Monday so I can update on fit.

Ron

I gave up on the internal tank screen after tearing 2 during installation attempts and just rely on a filter before and after the fuel pump, which I moved from engine bay to under the tank. No more hot weather vapor locks!
Medtner3
QUOTE(cary @ Jun 5 2021, 02:06 PM) *

Leak around tube or thru the threads ?
I stack filter, washer (copper, would prefer fiber), tube and nut.
You can crank it pretty tight.
Are you trying to do it in the car?

Sealant. We had leak issues on Matt's fuel injection.
We went with ARP thread sealant and it stopped the leaks.
My .02c.

Thank you I will try the thread sealant and new washer. I believe the red washer that comes with the mesh filter screen is actually copper it has red dye on it if I remember correctly. Fiber washers are probably very easy to get if they are the correct size. I will definitely try the thread sealant
Medtner3
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jun 5 2021, 02:52 PM) *

Ron

Your image doesn’t show an aluminum crush washer just a screen and the red washer- however if I am not mistaken those are copper washers that have red dye on them I could be wrong
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.