Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 air conditioner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Warren914
I have an air conditioning unit for the 914, another part of my 20 year old clutter pile. I'm reluctant to chop the bottom out of the trunk for the huge condensor coil. It would need a new compressor and hopefully a smaller condensor coil could be made to work. How much work to install? Is it worth the effort?
Warren914
I have an air conditioning unit for the 914, another part of my 20 year old clutter pile. I'm reluctant to chop the bottom out of the trunk for the huge condensor coil. It would need a new compressor and hopefully a smaller condensor coil could be made to work. How much work to install? Is it worth the effort?
partwerks
QUOTE(Warren914 @ Jun 7 2021, 01:33 PM) *

How often would you really use it, that far North?
AZBanks
I am building a custom air conditioning system. I will be mounting the condenser under the engine lid.

I created a thread for my build.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=353794

I am building the GT style engine lid based on Eric Shea's thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=6167&st=0
Mark Henry
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jun 7 2021, 09:02 PM) *

I wish I had AC today dry.gif
Also Warren is planing a trip to California and the southern US and then shipping his 914 for a European tour.

The interior unit is about all I would re-use, I would use a new modern compressor, dryer and evaporator, plus all new lines. If you do a search a few members have done AC installs.
BTW I have a stock 914 AC pulley you can have.

Here's the dealer AC install manual in PDF
https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Man09.pdf

Here's a complete AC system package for the 914

https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/complet...tioning-system/

There's also electric AC but you would have to upgrade/mod a much bigger alternator.

I'm game to installing it Warren, in fact with the new engine I'm building you I'd rather make sure that the AC install is done right.
Warren914

Temperatures today was well in excess of 30c. AC gets used frequently in my daily driver car.

QUOTE(partwerks @ Jun 7 2021, 07:02 PM) *

partwerks
QUOTE(Warren914 @ Jun 7 2021, 07:23 PM) *

Temperatures today was well in excess of 30c. AC gets used frequently in my daily driver car.

QUOTE(partwerks @ Jun 7 2021, 07:02 PM) *

It's all in what you want to do.
Warren914

California is planned for 2023. Europe may be next summer or 2024 depending on Covid and my ability to pay off the engine rebuild!

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm concerned about hacking up the car. Mark could help ensure a tidy and respectable installation. It's not a powerhouse to begin with. How much engine power does it steal? My other concerns are in terms of effectiveness, taking up leg room, and possibly even affecting value of the car.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 7 2021, 07:47 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Jun 7 2021, 09:02 PM) *

I wish I had AC today dry.gif
Also Warren is planing a trip to California and the southern US and then shipping his 914 for a European tour.

The interior unit is about all I would re-use, I would use a new modern compressor, dryer and evaporator, plus all new lines. If you do a search a few members have done AC installs.
BTW I have a stock 914 AC pulley you can have.

Here's the dealer AC install manual in PDF

Here's a complete AC system package for the 914

https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/complet...tioning-system/

There's also electric AC but you would have to upgrade/mod a much bigger alternator.

I'm game to installing it Warren, in fact with the new engine I'm building you I'd rather make sure that the AC install is done right.

Rand
Lol, trying to un-break the system.
Rand
The best AC in the world is a 914, top off, water spritzer.
Warren914

Agreed but there have been times I've had too much sun and put the roof back in place. Also have to consider passenger comfort, ie my poor tolerance for whining and complaining.

QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 7 2021, 09:46 PM) *

The best AC in the world is a 914, top off, water spritzer.

rgalla9146
This is a welcome discussion as I want to add AC to my car.
I'm hoping some of the expertise shown here can offer an opinion on
my idea.
I want to take advantage of the vacant area in front of the right rear wheel.
Similar to the mounting of the oil tank on a 914 6 I want to place
the condenser and a pulling fan behind the passenger door.
Yes, I'm willing to open the quarter up to allow flow-thru.
The condenser might be as large as 12" x 16" x 1.5 or 2"
Appearance aside, can this be adequate cross section ?
I realize that while stopped it will not be efficient but underway it improves
especially with some scoop arangement.
The other components will be an electric compressor and the largest
alternator available for a 3.6 Carrera engine.
The under dash will be an early 911 Behr unit which includes 2 control knobs.
I'll do the fab work myself, my questions are about the concept.
TIA
Rory
Visual aid attached idea.gif
Mark Henry
Any ballpark on the time required to install an AC kit?

Warren's engine is out so any needed work on it can be done on the stand as it's built. As many of you know I have a fully equipped shop.
I have use of a pump and the gauges.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 8 2021, 09:00 AM) *

my idea.
TIA
Rory

Problem is the exit air. It's a tight fit and there is really no place for the air to go and nothing pulling it thru, so it won't be nearly as effective as the engine lid mount.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 8 2021, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 8 2021, 09:00 AM) *

my idea.
TIA
Rory

Problem is the exit air. It's a tight fit and there is really no place for the air to go and nothing pulling it thru, so it won't be nearly as effective as the engine lid mount.

I agree.
Without an outlet the flow is limited.
The solution would be to open the top of the rear quarter (above and behind the
rear wheel) which would be effective but not easy to make attractive.
Modern Porsche GTs do have inlets in front of and outlets above and behind
front wheels. This on a 914GT rear quarter would have a very 'novel'
appearance.
How about this; run finned radiator tubing the length of the rocker....and back
to increase condenser capacity. Of course with some 'suggestion' of a rocker
cover....perforated...louvered, whatever to allow exchange.
Warren914

It would need everything short of the under dash evaporator unit. I'll try to check out the blower and overall condition over the weekend. Updated condensor coil, receiver/dryer, compressor, hoses, etc from what was originally supplied.

My wallet is shrinking as the LOC grows...

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 8 2021, 03:56 PM) *

Any ballpark on the time required to install an AC kit?

Warren's engine is out so any needed work on it can be done on the stand as it's built. As many of you know I have a fully equipped shop.
I have use of a pump and the gauges.

Warren914
Found on Pelican Parts.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...stallation.html

Click to view attachment
Warren914
There are many kits for Universal underdash air conditioning kits on eBay. Any thoughts on either of these, or suggestions for something else suitable?

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&am...it&_sacat=0

Mark Henry
Here is an electric AC system build thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...348517&st=0

The hard bit on this is mod is finding and fitting a larger output alternator.
Some also wouldn't like how tall the compressor sits in the frunk.
Warren914

Finding a suitable place to install the condensor coil and fan seems to be the biggest problem. A smaller under dash evaporator would save the center console, although it would also lessen effectiveness towards the driver position.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 9 2021, 07:04 AM) *

Here is an electric AC system build thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...348517&st=0

The hard bit on this is mod is finding and fitting a larger output alternator.
Some also wouldn't like how tall the compressor sits in the frunk.

Mark Henry
Keep looking biggrin.gif

I likely won't be on-line much till tonight, got work to do.
Rand
Just use a water spritzer and stop embarrasing us. I can sell you one that mists, ya freakin' woman. LOL.
Warren914

It's the woman in that other seat indeed!

QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 9 2021, 03:11 PM) *

Just use a water spritzer and stop embarrasing us. I can sell you one that mists, ya freakin' woman. LOL.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 9 2021, 05:11 PM) *

In the last week twice I've spent a lot of time in the 914, top off in 90F weather...I admit I'm starting to get a bit wimpy myself.
gayfight.gif
ClayPerrine
We have had a LOT of rain here, and everything is saturated. Yesterday it was in the 90s with 95% humidity. I was out in it all day, and by 6pm, I was completely wasted.

I WANT AC in my 914 so I can drive it!

Clay
AZBanks
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 9 2021, 02:11 PM) *

Come down to Phoenix in June, July, or August and spend 40 minutes stuck in rush hour traffic in a 914 without AC and then see who the woman is. skull.gif driving-girl.gif dancing.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 9 2021, 06:37 PM) *

We have had a LOT of rain here, and everything is saturated. Yesterday it was in the 90s with 95% humidity. I was out in it all day, and by 6pm, I was completely wasted.

I WANT AC in my 914 so I can drive it!

Clay

A major reason I'm doing a suby conversion is for AC. The car was already hacked up so I don't care if the ac lines are ugly or I loose trunk space. I want to drive it and be comfortable. I don't want to melt at every traffic light.

We've had the same 90 degree weather with rain everyday and oppressive humidity. I BTDT in my 914 when I was young but don't have the strength to do it anymore.
Bullethead
We participated in a little fun rally a couple of months ago and one of the participants brought two cars, a real 911 ST and a 356 for his son. They both had Zero Breeze portables which did the job remarkably well.

Not cheap at roughly $1000, but good for several hours on a charge. Sort of looks like an Electrolux but more compact, ducting is needed for intake/exhaust but otherwise, completely self contained.

They had them sitting on the rear seat deck and used the pop-out windows to vent.

Pretty tempting alternative... cool.gif

https://www.zerobreeze.com/

Click to view attachment
Warren914
I need to decide on an under dash evaporator unit. The car has the original center console so the dealer supplied evaporator will not fit. I need to get dimensions to determine how much room is available.

There are several units on eBay and Amazon for about $100. Some of them have ports towards the sides. One port would help with driver position, but the other would blow at the passenger door. I'm thinking of three vents facing forwards instead.

Vintage Air Mark IV $310 has only two forward facing vents and chrome front. There's no chrome elsewhere in the car so that could look a bit odd.

Both are non branded and likely made in China. I don't mind an extra $200 on what is looking like a $20k total bill this summer, but every bit adds up.

Should I remove the center console and use the dealer installed system or buy something else to fit in the passenger area? Any thoughts or ideas?
76-914
I had a choice of black or chrome on my vintage air unit. The majic number is 10” for depth of the unit. Anything deeper will protrude past the knee pad and look very “add on”. I too have a console and needed to take 2” of the top of the right side upright to allow install. This unit fits w/o needed to drill any holes in your knee pad as well. You just need to use 2 of the existing 6mm taps already in your knee pad. Unfortunately it is air & heat so it’s more for H20 conversions.
AZBanks
I've seen things like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Evaporator...0662&sr=8-7

and

https://www.amazon.com/Conditioning-Evapora...809&sr=8-26

The ones I am seeing have water pipe connectors so you could do heat and AC in a water cooled vehicle.

I don't have a console so I am using an old dealer installed under dash unit. If that doesn't work, I'll have to come up with something else.
Warren914
The dealer model is about 5-1/2" tall and 13-1/2" deep. At 34" wide it's too wide to fit with the center console. I need to determine how wide a unit will fit in a tidy manner.
Warren914

Considering this underdash unit.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07L252JRG/
Warren914

Or the Mark IV from Vintage Air

https://www.vintageair.com/builder-series/?...at3=Cool%20Only
Warren914

Or even this one...
https://www.vintageair.com/custom/product-pop.php?pn=674005
Mark Henry
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 10 2021, 09:36 PM) *

I had a choice of black or chrome on my vintage air unit. The majic number is 10” for depth of the unit. Anything deeper will protrude past the knee pad and look very “add on”. I too have a console and needed to take 2” of the top of the right side upright to allow install. This unit fits w/o needed to drill any holes in your knee pad as well. You just need to use 2 of the existing 6mm taps already in your knee pad. Unfortunately it is air & heat so it’s more for H20 conversions.

What happens is you run into the glove box bottom and because you can only tilt the Vintage Air unit 2 degrees (per instructions) I would have to space it down a bit lower or I'd have to mod the glove box bottom making it a bit smaller in the process.
Quick eyeball guesstimate, without modding the glove box bottom it would have to be spaced down an extra inch from the knee pad.

QUOTE(Warren914 @ Jun 11 2021, 05:15 PM) *

@Warren914 This is the best looking IMO and only 12" deep. workable but see my comment above.
Warren914

That one will likely be chosen. Good concensus among those whose opinions were asked and valued. It is available from a dealer near Toronto. I'm checking to see what else they can supply.

I'll be visiting another 914 owner in Halifax tomorrow to get a better idea on size and fit.

[quote name='Warren914' post='2922755' date='Jun 11 2021, 05:15 PM']
Or even this one...
https://www.vintageair.com/custom/product-pop.php?pn=674005
[/quote]

@Warren914 This is the best looking IMO and only 12" deep. workable but see my comment above.
[/quote]
76-914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 12 2021, 04:26 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 10 2021, 09:36 PM) *

What happens is you run into the glove box bottom and because you can only tilt the Vintage Air unit 2 degrees (per instructions) I would have to space it down a bit lower or I'd have to mod the glove box bottom making it a bit smaller in the process.
Quick eyeball guesstimate, without modding the glove box bottom it would have to be spaced down an extra inch from the knee pad.

QUOTE(Warren914 @ Jun 11 2021, 05:15 PM) *

Mark, Mine is bolted flush with the knee pad and works fine. The angle is definitely greater than 2 degrees. I didn't cut or modify the glove box. beerchug.gif
Warren914
I need to match the engine pulley to the clutch pulley on the compressor.
Anyone with an engine pulley close by to take measurements?
What is the pulley diamater?
What type belt does it require? A, B, or C?

Considering a Sanden SD7L13 compressor.
https://www.coolairparts.com/New-AC-Compres...10-4379RD511217

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I'll look for the pulley I have. I know for sure it's a single groove.
Mark Henry
This heavy steel pulley I have is for the old style dealer installed AC with the York compressor.
I'm using a protractor and small straight edge, but I don't have the proper tools so I am eyeballing this a bit.

I get B groove 30 degrees, although it looks more like the C groove drawing.
OD of the pulley is 4.186" (106mm), depth of the groove is .350" (9mm)
The AC pulley hub mount area (.145") is thicker than the stock spacer washer which is 2mm (.080"), I'm assuming that doesn't make the fan interfere with anything.
Warren914
Dug out the York anchor. Big and heavy POS.

Grooves look to be same fit as the alternator belt.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mark Henry
Doing some work on Warren's GT lid, I think I'm going to cut an extra opening only for the condenser.
Warren914
Interesting approach. How will the new grill trim be attached?
Could the drip tray be trimmed and put back in place?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Warren914 @ Aug 8 2021, 01:26 AM) *

Interesting approach. How will the new grill trim be attached?

It done using the two grill method. I personally like this method, the grill is correct and so is the overall shape.
Like my GT lid I didn't have to paint or remove the letters on the old grill. I still have to take this back apart and touch up the rivets and anything else I may have scratched.
AZBanks
How are you going to mount the condenser? Everything I've read says that the parallel flow condensers have to be at an angle where the outflow port is lower than the inflow port or the oil won't drain/flow through the system correctly. A vertical mount is best but if that is not possible, some angle is required.
Rand
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jun 9 2021, 05:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 9 2021, 02:11 PM) *

Come down to Phoenix in June, July, or August and spend 40 minutes stuck in rush hour traffic in a 914 without AC and then see who the woman is. skull.gif driving-girl.gif dancing.gif

I've been there. Do you drive a 914 in those conditions? Most don't, it's the wrong car. Your air-cooled engine will suffer as much as you.

But I'm the sort of idiot who enjoys an unexpected vehicle for the conditions. Would I commute to a lucrative job in a 914 with the top off in the heat of Phoenix??? No. Who would?

But if you had to, there are ways to deal with it aside from the car. Including, water-evaporative material and a water spritzer. Just like I dress for winter when it's cold... I dress for the outside temp. Then, the car only improves my comfort with a break from the wind or a shelter from the sun.

The 914 is not meant to be a creature-comfort car, and anything you hack onto it only takes away from it and everything it represents.

If you embrace the old 914, compensate yourSELF instead of making the car into something it wasn't meant to be. In extreme conditions, drive your frickin climate controlled fancy car instead, and complain like a whiner that it's too cold or hot when you have to get out of it.
Warren914
Large hose is high pressure vapor from the compressor. The small hose is high pressure liquid going to the evaporator.

The condenser should mount with the large hose towards top. It should be slanted slightly, not flat when lid is closed, and more vertical with lid up. The large hose should always be above smaller hose to allow lubricating oil to circulate. Adding a spacer at the front should be adequate.

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Aug 10 2021, 03:24 PM) *

How are you going to mount the condenser? Everything I've read says that the parallel flow condensers have to be at an angle where the outflow port is lower than the inflow port or the oil won't drain/flow through the system correctly. A vertical mount is best but if that is not possible, some angle is required.

Mark Henry
Really??? huh.gif
Thanks for letting me know about that salacious bit of info after the fact. dry.gif

Not going to worry about it now, hopefully there's enough room to add some spacers to give it a bit of an slant...or else this lid is scrap.
I can tilt it either side down 1-2 inch if room permits.
Warren914

Flip it 180 degrees.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 11 2021, 08:04 AM) *

Really??? huh.gif
Thanks for letting me know about that salacious bit of info after the fact. dry.gif

Not going to worry about it now, hopefully there's enough room to add some spacers to give it a bit of an slant...or else this lid is scrap.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.