Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are there schematic diagrams of the 914 monocoque/body/etc.?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SavingManuals
Are there any parts explosion diagrams online that clearly show the entire monocoque structure of a 914, offering multiple views so that I can understand how a puzzle of replacement chassis parts would fit together? This would also help me understand where rust may hide in the places I can't see. I've done some searches here but not found exactly what I had in mind. Overall, this is what I have found thus far:

1. 914World build threads: I know there are a gazillion build threads here that will show various views of major surgery on 914's, but it would be great to see all the puzzle pieces (each intact) possibly disassembled? Maybe there's something that shows a car being systematically dismantled?

2. I see this one on AA...
AutoAtlanta
...but I could really use a diagram that shows how the many subsets of chassis parts come together.

3. I have an old Haynes manual that has great diagrams of all the primary and ancillary systems, but shows nothing of the monocoque itself. Shop manuals weren't created for replacing major rust, right? sawzall-smiley.gif

I'm hoping that:
a. I simply haven't used the right search terms here on the World,
b. there are a few build threads that show most of what I seek,
c. there is a widely-known online source that I have yet to find,
d. there is some other great source for schematic parts explosions, or
e. the puzzle isn't as complex as I am expecting.

Thanks for any help, folks!

P.S. Let know if I need to clarify what I'm after...not always sure I know the lingo for all this stuff

mbseto
Only things I've ever been able to find are the diagrams that Restoration Designs has to show part numbers, and the many threads here on this forum that show cut up pieces. At some point I started bookmarking the more detailed threads and downloading pics of cars that have been cut up. I'll post some of these if you think it will help.
914_teener
The 914 unibody construction is not a true monoque construction like an airplane.

I doubt seriously that RD is going to give to anybody their surface models or diagrams rather that you buy their parts.

They (R&D) have great You Tubes on how to install them plus as you have mentioned the many.....many build threads here.

Good Luck.
Superhawk996
If you're not already aware.

Start search in Google with:

914world.com

Then the rest of your search like body assembly, body disassembly chassis, or whatever. . . . .

Will help hone search results.

As far as I know, the document which you seek doesn't exist all in one place.

The AA diagrams (which really come from PET) are the closest thing out there to exploded view drawings. But, as you note, not all pieces are there but the biggies are and that is 90% of what you seek.

I would love to have seen the VW assembly sequence process diagrams. For example - I ran into issue pre-assembling control cable tubes into the tunnel and making that work with 1/2 of the floor pan tacked in place. I had to pull down the floor pan to get the control tubes in there properly. There are some historical assembly plant videos out there of Bugs, 356's, and 911's that give some insight on what was probably done for the 914.

(Assuming I properly understand what you're looking)

FYI - most of it becomes self explanatory once you start diassembling things and can study how the sheet metal is shingled one piece vs. another.
mgarrison
In the PDFs of the Porsche 914 manuals, they have a repair section with several pictures and diagrams like this:
Click to view attachment

Maybe that's what your after...? confused24.gif
SavingManuals
Thanks for throwing out some options!

@mbseto - It would be great if you could post links to the build threads you've bookmarked. I'd use them and they would be a good resource for anyone who finds this thread in the future.

@914_teener - Funny, "unibody" was escaping me when I wrote the original post. Thanks for reminding me. Yes, I've watched the RD videos you mentioned...I'll revisit those for sure. I recall them being very insightful for me, a truly visual learner.

@mgarrison - I looked at the PDF I have of the 1974 shop manuals and saw the pictures in the "Group 8 Body" manual you referenced. Those will be quite helpful, as well as a number of other pics therein. If someone is working on repairing anything from the door hinges forward, there seem to be great diagrams showing where to best make cuts when repairing subsections of the front of the car. Not all of those cuts are entirely intuitive to me yet, but I haven't cut into a 914 yet.

@Superhawk996 - I know that your build thread is one for me to revisit at many points in the the future of my build. I say that because my car may share some of the issues that you found in yours (not surprised).

OVERALL, I'll continue to dig into the internet and try to post resources here as I find them. Thanks for your help!
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.