Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electrical gremlin help please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi guys,

Finally running some power to the bumblebee and happy that almost everything is working as it should (turn signals, brakes, hazard lights, gas tank idiot light, etc). But the headlights are posessed...

– Headlight motors go down when stalk is pulled out, and up when pushed in (verified wiring is correct at switch and headlight motors).

– Headlights don't come on in either position (neither hi nor low beams

– Instrument lights don't come on

– Left turn tail light comes on solid

– Brake lights light

Using a new switch (old switch behaved the same). I've been checking my prospero's wiring diagram and all looks well. Thinking it must be a relay, but I'm scratching my head. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Shivers
Wild shot in the dark...Were the headlamp motors removed and re-installed. On my 72 the wires come out of the top. If yours come out of the bottom it may have put things backwards mechanically.
iankarr
Thanks for the suggestion. I wish it were that easy. Pics below. Motors are in proper orientation and wires are color-to-color. I also bench tested the up/down action of these motors with jumpers before installing in the car...and after. It's also the fact that the lights won't turn on that's causing me to scratch my head. FYI...these are LED headlights. The car is wired for foglights, but they're not in yet. Could there be some sort of grounding needed through the fog light circuit which requires the lights to be installed before everything works?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
iankarr
Alright, making a little progress. The headlights now turn on when the stalk is pulled (and key turned), but they're facing down in their buckets. The rear side marker lights work on both sides. So all that's left is why up is down and down is up on the headlight motors. When i swap the gray and green/black wires on the switch, the headlights pop up and down continuously. I suppose I could always swap the leads at the motors, but that's cheating wink.gif. Is it possible I just aligned the pivot rods inversely when doing the install? Any other suggestions?
Shivers
Behind the plastic guard at the headlight motor there is adjustment on the arm. Maybe you can adjust it open. pull the relay at the light, so it doesn't do anything weird while you are working
windforfun
Watch your fingers. The headlight motors have a mind of their own. BTDT.
914e
Normally I would point you this guy's Ian's videos I guess that won't work. The motors are going up and down correct? If not you should have power at pin 87 of the relays, the headlight switch sends power to pin 85 of the relay through the rotating contacts of the motor do you get power there?

If the heads lights go up and down just out of sync, if remember right just get the headlights in the up position, then loosen the nut on the motor shaft with an open end wrench so that it can rotate in the linkage arm. Turn the headlights on so the motor rotates to the up position then tighten the nut back down. The headlights should be in sync with the motor again
ClayPerrine
This may help...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=20605

Clkay
914e
Did you get it figured out?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.