Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 - 914 2.0 / 40k (CAD) - thoughts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
914lover17
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so apologies if it isn't and any tips on where it should be are welcome!

I'm in the market for a 914 - it's my first one so I'm willing to overspend at the start to get into a solid driver. I'm trying to learn about values and how to determine a good price.

Obviously pictures and descriptions are only a part of the story - but I was wondering what yall thoughts were on this particular vehicle. Maybe what you think it's worth - I notice that there is probably a lot of rust under the front bumper? fuel injection has been converted and it has a lot of aftermarket parts (I think)

I'd prefer something more "original" but this also looks like a really cool freaking car that potentially is very original/time conforming.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/porsche/914/woo...3_3&sprx=-2

https://www.daytonaauto.ca/vehicles/1974/po...sale_class=used
Jett
QUOTE(914lover17 @ Jun 13 2021, 08:21 AM) *

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so apologies if it isn't and any tips on where it should be are welcome!

I'm in the market for a 914 - it's my first one so I'm willing to overspend at the start to get into a solid driver. I'm trying to learn about values and how to determine a good price.

Obviously pictures and descriptions are only a part of the story - but I was wondering what yall thoughts were on this particular vehicle. Maybe what you think it's worth - I notice that there is probably a lot of rust under the front bumper? fuel injection has been converted and it has a lot of aftermarket parts (I think)

I'd prefer something more "original" but this also looks like a really cool freaking car that potentially is very original/time conforming.

welcome.png

It is hard to tell what that car is worth because there are no pictures of the undercarriage, suspension (4 bolt), longs, hell hole, rear trunk pan, door jams, etc. Additionally, the picture angles prevent gap comparisons, except for the front end, which looks misaligned at best. Then there are the carbs, which is a preference thing, but for a low mile car (IMO) it negatively impacts price for me. smile.gif Lastly, there is no stereo or speakers that I can see, which again for me detracts from the low miles aspect of the car.

Ask the seller to send more pictures or get a PPI before considering buying.
mepstein
If you are spending real money on a car, always spend the time and money to see it in person and bring someone who knows 914’s if you aren’t familiar with their issues.

Car appraisals are for insurance but have little meaning for sale prices.
914lover17
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 13 2021, 10:31 AM) *

If you are spending real money on a car, always spend the time and money to see it in person and bring someone who knows 914’s if you aren’t familiar with their issues.

Car appraisals are for insurance but have little meaning for sale prices.

Thanks for the advice!!
914lover17
QUOTE(Jett @ Jun 13 2021, 09:41 AM) *

QUOTE(914lover17 @ Jun 13 2021, 08:21 AM) *

thanks so much, that's some great information for me to know what to look for and how to approach it!

welcome.png

It is hard to tell what that car is worth because there are no pictures of the undercarriage, suspension (4 bolt), longs, hell hole, rear trunk pan, door jams, etc. Additionally, the picture angles prevent gap comparisons, except for the front end, which looks misaligned at best. Then there are the carbs, which is a preference thing, but for a low mile car (IMO) it negatively impacts price for me. smile.gif Lastly, there is no stereo or speakers that I can see, which again for me detracts from the low miles aspect of the car.

Ask the seller to send more pictures or get a PPI before considering buying.

MCShack
@Jett @mepstein are both correct. Not enough of the right pictures to make a good recommendation. You should go with a 914 expert to view the car in person. No radio is not a deal breaker and should not affect the price by much, but those are the kind of details to look for when you see it. Rust is always the most important thing, no matter how cheap, how nice the paint or interior or engine. I noticed that they did not give the engine code in the appraisal which struck me as odd, how do they know it is a 2.0L engine? What has been done to the car is also very important. I noticed that the price is $39k CAD on one site and $45k CAD on the other. I personally do not believe this car is worth over $35k CAD to me and under $30k CAD would be better. Since this is your first 914, make sure you don't make a big mistake and find a cheaper car unless money is no object. Pay a reputable expert to look at it if you have to, maybe $100 or so of good insurance against a big mistake. Good Luck with your hunt!
orthobiz
When I was new to the site in 2008, I asked for help and someone volunteered to look at a car for me...in Seattle. He reported back with lots of helpful info.

Don't be afraid to reach out. I'd go if it was within 100 miles of Cadillac, MI!!

Good luck. You've got the bug.

Paul
ressex
Being patient is the best advice I can give. People here really know their stuff and it’s worth seeing some cars and becoming familiar with trouble areas, as outlined already. You’ll learn enough buying a good car; a bad one is a painful experience.
Cairo94507
@orthobiz and @MCShack are 100% right on the money. If you find a car out of your range, post it here and ask for a member to go do a "PPI" for you with pictures and video. Of course, be ready to jump on a plane in necessary with cash if the report comes back positive. beerchug.gif
914lover17
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 16 2021, 08:33 PM) *

When I was new to the site in 2008, I asked for help and someone volunteered to look at a car for me...in Seattle. He reported back with lots of helpful info.

Don't be afraid to reach out. I'd go if it was within 100 miles of Cadillac, MI!!

Good luck. You've got the bug.

Paul

I really do lol, it's starting to become a problem! Thanks a lot, I appreciate that and will keep that in mind for sure! biggrin.gif
914lover17
QUOTE(MCShack @ Jun 13 2021, 02:05 PM) *

@Jett @mepstein are both correct. Not enough of the right pictures to make a good recommendation. You should go with a 914 expert to view the car in person. No radio is not a deal breaker and should not affect the price by much, but those are the kind of details to look for when you see it. Rust is always the most important thing, no matter how cheap, how nice the paint or interior or engine. I noticed that they did not give the engine code in the appraisal which struck me as odd, how do they know it is a 2.0L engine? What has been done to the car is also very important. I noticed that the price is $39k CAD on one site and $45k CAD on the other. I personally do not believe this car is worth over $35k CAD to me and under $30k CAD would be better. Since this is your first 914, make sure you don't make a big mistake and find a cheaper car unless money is no object. Pay a reputable expert to look at it if you have to, maybe $100 or so of good insurance against a big mistake. Good Luck with your hunt!

Thanks! That seems to be a popular consensus - and given my knowledge it probably makes even more sense for me! Any recommendations? Or just make a post here if I find a suitable car?

ps, I've seen your username on BAT! Too bad the silver 74' has a messy vin situation!

Nice to meet ya!
914lover17
QUOTE(ressex @ Jun 17 2021, 08:25 AM) *

Being patient is the best advice I can give. People here really know their stuff and it’s worth seeing some cars and becoming familiar with trouble areas, as outlined already. You’ll learn enough buying a good car; a bad one is a painful experience.

Honestly, that's such good advice, I'm struggling with the patience lol.

Appreciate it biggrin.gif
914lover17
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 18 2021, 03:33 PM) *

@orthobiz and @MCShack are 100% right on the money. If you find a car out of your range, post it here and ask for a member to go do a "PPI" for you with pictures and video. Of course, be ready to jump on a plane in necessary with cash if the report comes back positive. beerchug.gif

Thanks!!! That sounds like the best route for me! appreciate the advice on how to do it!
914lover17
QUOTE(Jett @ Jun 19 2021, 07:31 AM) *

I think I messed up my last reply - I appreciate the little rundown - all info on how to assess cars is really helpful!

thanks for the recommendation as well! Looks like I missed out though lol biggrin.gif
MCShack
The blue car in the link is a beautiful car and has some nice extras done to it. Maybe I'm wrong and it is worth every penny they are asking for it. Do they allow offers? Try to get it a little lower if possible. The car in the other link is nice as well. Try an offer on it, all they can do is say no and throw you out the back door, lol. Go look at a car near you so have some idea of what to look for in the way of bad stuff like rust. Rust is bad no matter where it is located, it always means there is more. Look past the nice interiors and beautiful paint jobs, while those are nice, there are bigger issues that can cost big dollars down the road. Or test drive a nice Subbie in same price range, it might suit you, they are snappy little cars.

I think the title/VIN situation on the silver BAT car is unfortunate, but fixable. It would be better if the seller took care of that before they put it up for sale. BAT should monitor those things closer IMO. That said, it is still a nice car and currently a great buy. I would not pay over $20K USD myself unless the seller fixes the situation, but if not the buyer can order a new VIN plate for the window and hopefully fix the title, especially if there is a prior title, sales receipt or similar document showing the correct VIN. The yellow on there is also a nice car, but some newby on there tried to call Dr. 914 and I out about that car and our comments.

Good Luck and feel to reach out to me if you have questions on any other cars, I'm full of opinions and a lot of other stuff as some people say, LOL.
914lover17
QUOTE(MCShack @ Jun 27 2021, 01:33 PM) *

The blue car in the link is a beautiful car and has some nice extras done to it. Maybe I'm wrong and it is worth every penny they are asking for it. Do they allow offers? Try to get it a little lower if possible. The car in the other link is nice as well. Try an offer on it, all they can do is say no and throw you out the back door, lol. Go look at a car near you so have some idea of what to look for in the way of bad stuff like rust. Rust is bad no matter where it is located, it always means there is more. Look past the nice interiors and beautiful paint jobs, while those are nice, there are bigger issues that can cost big dollars down the road. Or test drive a nice Subbie in same price range, it might suit you, they are snappy little cars.

I think the title/VIN situation on the silver BAT car is unfortunate, but fixable. It would be better if the seller took care of that before they put it up for sale. BAT should monitor those things closer IMO. That said, it is still a nice car and currently a great buy. I would not pay over $20K USD myself unless the seller fixes the situation, but if not the buyer can order a new VIN plate for the window and hopefully fix the title, especially if there is a prior title, sales receipt or similar document showing the correct VIN. The yellow on there is also a nice car, but some newby on there tried to call Dr. 914 and I out about that car and our comments.

Good Luck and feel to reach out to me if you have questions on any other cars, I'm full of opinions and a lot of other stuff as some people say, LOL.

lol I saw that, I had my popcorn ready but you took the high road, unfortunately.

Nothing against subbies, but I just watched the "baby driver" intro and felt nothing. I was completely content with my pickup truck until I saw a 914. I think it's so beautiful, the roll cage design and body line is just bad ass yet elegant at the same time.

Would you know how a 94 2.0 914 compares to a 2012 C300? My dad has one and it's way more than I need and I don't even think it's supposed to be particularly snappy.

I'm looking for a relaxed summer Sunday driver kinda thing.

I would have already looked at the 40kCAD alaskan blue one and potentially tried a negotiation but they gave me the whole "we wanna leave it in our showroom till we have a deal speal" - my assumption was that the frame/body must be pretty good to justify everything else - which is something Id obviously wanna prove before making a deal. Just seams like a headache when I'd like something less flashy, anyways.
rhodyguy
Don't forget your 'wants'. Heat? Ride quality? A hot rod engine or longevity? Paying today's prices, get a ready to go car that will compliment your driving style. Count what might be negative changes that have been performed against the asking price. The border thing makes for real hassles.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.