Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper motor test
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Is there a way to test the wiper motor to see if it is working?
It looks like the same motor that the headlights use?

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
NOT the same as headlight motor. Only two reasons for motor not to work. Bad switch or arms frozen in shaft. Usually the latter. Put battery in car and turn on switch. It works or it doesn't.
partwerks
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 15 2021, 06:47 PM) *

NOT the same as headlight motor. Only two reasons for motor not to work. Bad switch or arms frozen in shaft. Usually the latter. Put battery in car and turn on switch. It works or it doesn't.

It's out of that thing in the picture.
No other way to test it outside of the car?
bdstone914
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jun 15 2021, 07:58 PM) *

Yes you can test it out of the car. Hook up a ground wire and positive wire.
partwerks
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 15 2021, 07:50 PM) *

I hooked the ground up to the brown wire, and the positive to where the two red wire go?
Either I hooked it up wrong, or doesn't work? IDK.

Or is it like the headlight motor where you have to have one on the red, and one on either the gray or green wire?
bdstone914
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jun 15 2021, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 15 2021, 07:50 PM) *

I hooked the ground up to the brown wire, and the positive to where the two red wire go?
Either I hooked it up wrong, or doesn't work? IDK.

Or is it like the headlight motor where you have to have one on the red, and one on either the gray or green wire?

I dont remember the wiring but connect the positive to each of the individual wires and combinations on the positive terminals.
iankarr
Lots of good info in this thread. I also have a video on testing the motor coming in a bit.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=318265
raynekat
Make sure you keep your fingers away from those motors when you fire them up. They possess incredible torque and will cut your finger off in a heartbeat if its in the wrong place. Almost happened to me. Arrggg
partwerks
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jun 16 2021, 02:39 PM) *

Make sure you keep your fingers away from those motors when you fire them up. They possess incredible torque and will cut your finger off in a heartbeat if its in the wrong place. Almost happened to me. Arrggg

Took them by my old VW mechanic. Had them going in a few seconds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.